Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University and Internet access

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Heya does anyone know if there is phone lines in all halls of residence? I am going to aberdeen university want to make sure I have internet access. I got a lap top. Also anyone know of any good deals?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i think most uni's provide a phone in every room. The best thing is to check with the accomodation people. I know where i want to go they have telephones in every room, and there is an option of pay-as-you-go dial-up internet, or broadband for a hundred or so quid a year. Different halls in different uni's all have different deals though
  • Options
    Durham University does not provide a telephone in rooms. I don't know about Aberdeen, find out.

What you will find, though, is that your university will probably oprovide broadband internet in rooms, for a fee. I had it in my room in college, and it was bloody fast (though downloading illegal material, included copyrighted material, was banned). My university also has wireless internet in the libraries, so if your laptop is wireless-enabled then you can connect in there too, if your university provides it.

But yes. Most universities provide en-suite broadband.
  • Options
    My mate lived in Hillhead Halls of Residence last year and he didn't mention anything about having an internet connection.

The Halls I lived in last year (RGU) are having broadband installed as we speak. So maybe the Aberdeen uni halls will be doing the same thing?
  • Options
    It should be easy to find out by checking on the unis website - look under the computing service pages.
  • Options
  • Options
    In Halls last year we had the arduous trek up the hill (ok, 100 metres) to the Library to use the Internet. Was ok though, they were well-equipped and all Internet access was broadband. However, if I'd thought of it I might have factored Internet access etc into my decision when I was choosing Unis, but I was too bothered about other stuff.

As everyone else has said, however, find out. Just call 'em up and they'll tell you, simple as.
  • Options
    If ointernet connection is highh on your list of priorities then you're a bit sad really.

Such is life. All unis have good library and computing facilities, some have en suite, some don't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If ointernet connection is highh on your list of priorities then you're a bit sad really.
    That's just your opinion though, right?

It's extremely important to me to have an internet connection when I go to uni. I need to keep in contact with close friends that live hundreds of miles away from the UK and my family will also be online. I won't go anywhere without my internet.

Sad for you, maybe. But everyone's different.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    That's just your opinion though, right?

It's extremely important to me to have an internet connection when I go to uni. I need to keep in contact with close friends that live hundreds of miles away from the UK and my family will also be online. I won't go anywhere without my internet.

Sad for you, maybe. But everyone's different.

Ilora x

Damn right, Internet access was EXTREMELY important to me when I went to Uni - I spend a lot of time on the Net and it was reassuring to have my own computer and to be able to browse the Net and talk to family & friends online.
  • Options
    There's these things called libraries...that's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be the end of the world. I like it though to communicate with people on MSN. I am lucky though cause I know people goin to my Uni an they are real good friends!
  • Options
    Yeah I'm wondering the same thing about the university I'm going to - its all good and well having library internet access, but can you download stuff, are certain websites blocked, can you use ftp for web designing etc, and importantly can you use MSN!
  • Options
    though i know of unconfirmed *cough* rumours of a file sharing network at durham uni that was pretty secure

though i know nothing about it if it did exist:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    There's these things called libraries...that's all I'm saying.

and at the uni i went to, the library closed at 8pm 4 nights a week and 5pm 3 nights a week....doesnt compare