Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

6th Form Volunteering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Guys;

I’m 16 years old (waiting for GCSE results on the 26th!) am predicted pretty good grades- 11 ranging from A*s to B’s. Next year I’ve signed up to do 6 Unit Vocation Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology and General studies. Having concerns it might not be enough- but have big plans to continue and begin lots of voluntary work including plenty in my church, proofreading which I hope to start soon (voluntary on the do-it website) and I hope to be working at least in holidays in a nursery or crèche; I’m also looking into doing an NVQ if I do get a suitable Childcare job and definitely a recognised first aid course or two. I’ve also applied to become a volunteer at the hospital but they aren’t processing applications at the moment and I’m underage to be working in the maternity unit.

So two things:

I was at the doctors the other day and saw a poster up about well baby clinics which reminded me about something that a teacher mentioned to me when I was considering college rather than 6th form: she suggested volunteering there. I’ve since found out it will be entirely dependant on my timetable as it is only held for an our on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month (but there may be other alternatives- just a bus ride away…) I am just composing a letter to the person in charge to ask if it might be a possibility or not- any body done this before/run a well baby (or similar clinic) or in a medical profession and have an opinion on it or a mum/dad and have an opinion on this? I’m not sure how it could work- that would be up to the person in charge- as to whether it might be observing/helping/regular/irregular etc

Do you think that’s enough at A level? Because I really want to enjoy what I do and get good grades; I plan (at the moment) to become a midwife. The alternatives are nursery nursing, teaching; youth work things like that really. We also get the opportunity to do the European Computer Driving License and ‘paired reading’ (more voluntary work in school) and of course I hope to be working in the holidays (once I’m 17, in Feb as this seems to be a legal requirement for working with children) and learning to drive at some point. What do you think?

Thanks- any advice/past experience/etc etc etc would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, in answer to the question about if the A-Levels you're doing are enough for midwifery - yep, they are.

If you intend to do the diploma in midwifery, the entry requirements are at least 5 gcses, in English Language or Literature plus a Science or Mathematics. If you want to do the degree course, you need at least 2 a- levels, but it depends on the uni you intend studying at, as the entry requirements vary. Taking Hsc, sociology and psycology will definitely be an advantage, so don't worry about it.

They also should be fine for other childcare stuff , like nursery nursing. If you decide to do this instead, some schools and colleges offer a programme where you study towards a NVQ in childcare (straight after doing gcses), by doing 4 days a week in a local nursery and 1 day a week at school/college doing written work.