Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Citalopram

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
genuine, "straight" question...

have just been prescribed this due to some moderate "depression" (depression definitely WASNT caused by drugs...more like 8 months of shit job, then quitting job/moving house/having phone stolen)

does anyone have any idea of any important effects mixing citalopram and small doses of E (2 or 3 pills in a weekend), might have?

also, maybe ket and other standard clubbing stuff....charlie....

def not acid or gb

tanx in advance...

Comments

• Options
    I take the same stuff (although in greater amounts because it's not depression they're treating, it's panic). I've never experianced any negative side effects with it and other drugs. Course I've never taken E or done a line of Charlie, so I can't really give you much insight on that. What I know is alcohol won't kill you and neither will cannibus.
  • Options
    Right, well, if you are on an SSRI for any type of mental health issue its probably unwise to be using strong drugs which may negatively effect your recovery.

As for mixing drugs with it, the advice I have just read says that although alcohol does not potentiate the effects the mixing of the two is unwise. So, if you are going to drink, keep it small.

There has been some interesting reports suggesting that SSRI's taken soon after or with MDMA could reduce the neuro-toxic effect. However these have not really been massively tested.
    What I think you will find is that the pills wont work, everyone I know who has been on SSRI's cant get effect from MDMA.

As for cocaine, I would say no. Cocaine greatly increases your blood pressure and the risk of heart attack. But, having said that this drug doesnt have a big impact on one of the neuro centres which cocaine activates. (dopamine)

Ketamine; I would say unwise, its such a strong hallucinogen it would be unwise to take it when you are potentially depressed. It may well go very sour.

Cannabis should be ok, but then again probably not in high doses.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    For those that want to know more, here is Erowid's information on citalopram.

in answer to the question, please have a read of this warning from Erowid about interactions between SSRI's and recreational drugs.

Bong is right, if you are taking SSRI's then there is no point in taking MDMA. I have taken the following information from this page on Erowid, and there is a good piece on this page I would recommend you read.

To put a really complicated thing simply, SSRI's, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, stop some of the neurotransmitters in your brain re-absorbing seratonin. MDMA causes a release of serotonin from particular brain cells, and this produces a change of mood. So on one hand the seratonin is being released, but on hte other hand it isn't being absorbed so there is no change in mood.

Besides, IMO if you are depressed you are doing yourself absolutely no favours by altering your brain chemistry with an unknown dosage of recreational drugs.
  • Options
    Thats not quite how I understand it LadyJade, MDMA causes the release of seratonin, yes, and SSRI's block the re-uptake.

So, looked at simply SSRI's should make MDMA more effective not less. Like with MOAI's, but then mixing them with MDMA is just plain nuts.

I think its more a case of the SSRI blocking MDMA working in the first place rather than stopping its action after it has worked. But the end effect is one and the same.
  • Options
    Have a look at the articles I posted, did I get mixed up???
  • Options
    Yes I did, you are right -
    One of the ways (if not THE way) MDMA enters the 5-HT (serotonin) neuron is through the serotonin reuptake transporter. By blocking 5-HT reuptake, you also seem to significantly block MDMA's entry into the cell, thus probably reducing its effects.

From here.
  • Options
    Well the article isnt all that clear either, to be frank no where near enough research has been done to really know. For a start the action of SSRI's is somewhat up for grabs.

But my understanding is that SSRI's stop MDMA from working rather than masking their effects.
  • Options
    That's what that quote would seem to indicate, that the SSRI's block the entry point for MDMA and thus stop it from working. But you are right, the effects aren't fully understood yet.
  • Options
    We're both right.
  • Options
    Course we are :D
  • Options
    We're so good, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to know how great we are.