Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gym Routines

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So do any of you have a particular routine for the gym?

Cetain number of reps, order, etc?

Also with the leg machine (don't know it's name but it's the one you lay on your back and push up thorugh your shoulders with your legs)

How much can you push and how much should you be able to push? This machine confounds me cos I push more weight then most of the people at the gym on this one machine, so thinking maybe I don't do it right - can push about 60kg 20 times or may 80kg 10 times. Most of the guys at the gym are only setting it to like 40kg.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I try not to keep it the same everytime as I've heard taht can make the particular exercise less effective-not to mention boring so I try to vary what machines I go on first-if I'm gonna do weights etc but when I'm on the actaul equipment that tends to stay the same and I have a lil game where I do 1 calorie at level 1, 2 at level 2-I knw the calorie counters aren't accurate but its just a method of getting me worked out
    Re: Gym Routines
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    So do any of you have a particular routine for the gym?

Cetain number of reps, order, etc?

Also with the leg machine (don't know it's name but it's the one you lay on your back and push up thorugh your shoulders with your legs)

How much can you push and how much should you be able to push? This machine confounds me cos I push more weight then most of the people at the gym on this one machine, so thinking maybe I don't do it right - can push about 60kg 20 times or may 80kg 10 times. Most of the guys at the gym are only setting it to like 40kg.

I used to do different things each time i went. Cv day or an upper body day etc. Used to stick to three sets of 15 reps on most machines.

On the leg press, which is what i'm assuming you're on about, maybe the blokes are settling for the lower weight in order to be able to do more reps instead of short bursts. Don't forget a lot of blokes don't just use gyms for bulking up but for toning or overall fitness. Why don't you ask one of the instructors their opinion?
    Re: Gym Routines

As the post above says, people don't always work at their limit, in fact most people don't. If I really want to I can do bicep curls with a 35KG bar, but I just use a 25KG one and do more reps, I get more benefit out of it.
    I haven't been on here for about a week and one of the first threads i open i can relate to LOL

I literally did myself a set routine today as im going to the gym later today and i wanted to feel excited about it so i got myself prepared.

I wont tell you what im doing as its a personal thing plus im a girl and you lot may think im a sissy for doing light weights etc.

but yes i now have one! :D
    I can push 280 kg on the one i think you are describing.

Anyway when i go i do one rep of 10
    another of 8
    Then push the weight up and do a rep of 5.

I learnt that doing more than 12 reps doesnt do as much. You are better off pushing the weight up and doing 12 or 10 reps.
    Or do you mean one that concentrates on you're calfs? where i do about 97kg
    Originally posted by Godders
    I can push 280 kg on the one i think you are describing.

Anyway when i go i do one rep of 10
    another of 8
    Then push the weight up and do a rep of 5.

I learnt that doing more than 12 reps doesnt do as much. You are better off pushing the weight up and doing 12 or 10 reps.
    280 kg on what thats a huge weight more than 500lbs I couldnt lift that on anything, ,
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    280 kg on what thats a huge weight more than 500lbs I couldnt lift that on anything, ,

Im going gym in amin so ill find out what its called for you.
    280kg? That must be pounds and even 280 pounds is 20 stone!!
    Its the horizontal leg press.
    yea, the leg press is a very easy machine to use. Basically, a male with decent strength should be able to squat his own weight - but on the leg press you should be able to do twice that, so if you weigh 85kg, then doing 170kg leg press should be fine.

Also, it depends what you want - if you want mass gain, then heavy weights, no more than 8 reps. However, the problem most amateurs have is that they havnt learnt to focus the weight on the muscle theyre training, they just jump into a weight thats too heavy and use their whole body to lift it.

For example, I like to do bicept curls with a z-bar while leaning back on a bench - works the very core of your biceps. The best way to do this is to really focus on the core of your biceps, lift it smoothly and let it down very slowly, total control. I do this with around 20kg and do about 10 reps.

The main important thing I've learnt is too choose a weight which allows you to focus on the muscle your working for between 8 and 10 reps.

The only area of your body you should do more than 10 reps is your back or your shoulders - back you need to work like a dog.
    rs_legpress.jpg

It's this machine and I did over 100kg the other day, but better off I think sticking to something a little lighter