Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Part-Time work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of looking for a part-time job. All the supermarkets around here are getting a big influx of students so I'm dodging those. What I was thinking of was the B and B's around here, though I will be receiving EMA and Im not sure if a PT Job would interfere with that or not.

Comments

• Options
    No, don't worry, getting a part time job won't affect how much money you get in the EMA. They use your parent's income to calculate how much you get, not yours.
  • Options
    Supermarket work is the way to go. :D:p

No really, it's not bad pay.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Supermarket work is the way to go. :D:p

No really, it's not bad pay.

If you work at Tesco. :p

Mind, I shouldn't complain. I got a pay rise this week - one whole penny an hour more! :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura

Mind, I shouldn't complain. I got a pay rise this week - one whole penny an hour more! :hyper:

heh. Cant beat tesco! They give you abit too much overtime though.:(

Nevermind. It all depends when you can work and all that. I would recommend tesco as its open 24 hours they have very flexible workin hours. And the pay is pretty good.
  • Options
    I work at tesco and i get like £5.45 an hour normal rate. At night and sundays its time & half.

Supermarkets are good for students.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Godders
    heh. Cant beat tesco! They give you abit too much overtime though.:(

Nevermind. It all depends when you can work and all that. I would recommend tesco as its open 24 hours they have very flexible workin hours. And the pay is pretty good.

Too much over time? You're having a laugh right. :|

That's why I'm leaving!

The 24 hour thing - bear in mind you have to be over 18 to work past 10pm. Well, at Tesco anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura

My last pay rise was a 17p increase. :D

I'm looking for a new job. Yeh, the pay's great but I can't hack it any more. :no:

If I don't go now, I never will.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    I work at tesco and i get like £5.45 an hour normal rate. At night and sundays its time & half.

Supermarkets are good for students.

I get £5.66. :D

Heh, I'm just rubbing it in now aren't I.

Did you know some of the staff who've been there longer get double time on sundays. :mad:
  • Options
    Yep some get double time the cheeky bastards, ah well thats life.
  • Options
    so you'll be leaving tesco for your posh new job eh?

how long've you been a slave to mr. tesco?
  • Options
    at your age you probably won't do much better than a supermarket.

they're always chock full of student staff too, so there might be quite a good social scene.

failing that, call centres are desperate and pay quite well.
  • Options
    so you'll be leaving tesco for your posh new job eh?

how long've you been a slave to mr. tesco?

Yep leaving in just under 2 weeks now for my new job this monday. Iv been working for them for 3 months and before that i was working for morrisons for 8 months so im pretty experienced in the good old supermarket ;)
  • Options
    ASDA is having quite an influx of people from my school but I'm not too sure about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    ASDA is having quite an influx of people from my school but I'm not too sure about it.

Why! Working in supermarkets is alright, i've had friends that have worked on the shop floor, tills and trolleys at Asda and tills at Sainsburys and it is fairly dull and menial, but it is the type of work the vast majority do. If you want a little (and I do stress a little) variety apply for you local DIY store, I worked at Focus for 2 and a half years before uni, and a couple of months this summer, and the benefits are a smaller store so a better team atmosphere and a greater range of jobs.
  • Options
    Yep leaving in just under 2 weeks now for my new job this monday. Iv been working for them for 3 months and before that i was working for morrisons for 8 months so im pretty experienced in the good old supermarket ;)

I've been at Tesco 2 years 7 months. :\
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    at your age you probably won't do much better than a supermarket.

they're always chock full of student staff too, so there might be quite a good social scene.

failing that, call centres are desperate and pay quite well.

Yup, I'm looking for a new job now and there are hardly any that I can see that pay better than Tesco do.

About the social scene; most of my friends are from Tesco! Haha, sounds sad really but we have a great time and you'd no doubt meet some great people.
  • Options
    I've been at Tesco 2 years 7 months. :\

Wow your a dedicated worker, i wish i was dedicated.
  • Options
    Iv been at tesco for 4 weeks today!lol

well my contracted hours are 10 hours a week. I worked 50 hours last week! And im ment to be on holiday! But they are cutting down on over time so a few days extra a week is good enough. Only gettin paid £4.20 at the mo.
  • Options

well my contracted hours are 10 hours a week. I worked 50 hours last week! And im ment to be on holiday! But they are cutting down on over time so a few days extra a week is good enough. Only gettin paid £4.20 at the mo.

That's still good for an under 18!

I might try Tesco come to think of it.
  • Options

We're only allowed 2 over time shifts a week now. Not that I ever got chance to bloody get any!

There are some people who have loads of contracted hours and pinch loads of the over time shifts when there's people like me who work 10.5 hours a week (sat/sun).

Your pay will go up, only 5 months to go then it'll be a bit more. :)

I'm getting my second privilege card tomorrow. :o
  • Options
    Wow your a dedicated worker, i wish i was dedicated.

Well there was no point in changing jobs when Tesco pay better!

Now I've finished 3 years at college though, looking for something more y'know...:p
  • Options
    Well there was no point in changing jobs when Tesco pay better!

Now I've finished 3 years at college though, looking for something more y'know...:p

Ah i wanted something new, iv been in supermarkets since i was 16 and wanted an experience in something else.