Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lunch and coffee breaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boss recently told me that if I wanted to get an hour long lunch break she would take it from my salary. I wasn't demanding an hour or anything at the time, just wanted at least half an hour (had finished eating, but it usually only takes me about 20 min).

However, I just went to the homepage of my union and found out that during a nine hour workday I am entitled to at least 65 minutes for lunch and coffee break, and I've only been getting about 20 minutes.

I'm just wondering... if I decide to take it up with my boss, is it likely that it'll stir up much shit? Two of my best friends work there, and I got the job through the mum of one of them, and since it's a rather small place I don't want any trouble. But I also want to be able to sit down for more than 10-20 minutes during the nine hours I work. Or getting paid extra like my union says I should get if I work in my breaks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well as far as UK law goes, under normal circumstances a worker is entitled to a 15 minute break for every four hours of work.
    Personally, in a 11 - 8 shift i'll have an hour for lunch and two 15 minute breaks, although the lunch hour is unpaid.
    I'm sure your entitled to an hour. Have a word with your boss, a nice word lol, and explain :yes:
    It was stated on the webpage of my union that when working from 9-18 I should receive 30-60 minute long lunch break, and a 35 minute coffee break. And if I'd have to work during that time I should be paid overtime during that time.

I think I'll just try to bring it up with my boss soon. The place I work for goes pretty much by the book when it comes to most things, and overall I'm satisfied, but when my boss said that she'd take it from my pay if I wanted a proper lunch break I did feel like clawing her eyes out as I knew that I had my rights but couldn't back it up at the time.

Thanks for replying! :)
    Originally posted by Mich
    Well as far as UK law goes, under normal circumstances a worker is entitled to a 15 minute break for every four hours of work.

:yes:

and if you're working primarily on a computer monitor you should get 5 minutes an hour, every hour.

although (not sure if this has changed in recent years but it was certainly true when i first started working) they do not have to pay you for your breaks. they are just obliged to give you time away from working conditions.

you are almost never be paid for lunch break times, in my experience.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    although (not sure if this has changed in recent years but it was certainly true when i first started working) they do not have to pay you for your breaks. they are just obliged to give you time away from working conditions.

you are almost never be paid for lunch break times, in my experience.

According to my union's webpage, people are supposed to be paid overtime if they are made work in their lunch/coffee breaks. Although I don't really care about that, I just want to be able to sit down and relax for a bit during the nine hours I work for. :D
    What you need to do is take this up with your union rep - becaues its likely that your not the only one in this position and they should be able to get a better deal for all of you at once.

You will also have more negotiating power if your in a larger number.

x
    When I work 10-4, I get a half hour lunch break and no breaks. However, if I have to work 9-5.30, I get two fifteen minute breaks and an hour lunch break. They are however all unpaid.
    Lunch breaks are, in the UK, a right. Pretty much as has been said here.

However, I don't know of anyone who would pay you for this.

Usually people work a 35 hour week, but are actually at work for 40 hours. Each day they get an hour off for lunch/coffee breaks.
    If I work 4-6 hours I get a 15 minute paid break.
    If I work 6-8 hours I get a 20 minute paid break.
    If I work over 8 hours (ie.9-5.30) I get a 30 minute paid break. There is the option of having an hour but it is unpaid so I always go for the paid option!
    I would write to your union, you are a member? And explain the situation to them.

Tell them that you would rather not cause a fuss and maybe they would be able to write a letter to your boss saying something like;

"We have had a complaint from one of our members about lunch breaks, we would like to maintain the coherant relationship we have so you will understand when we ask you maintain workers rights in terms of breaks."