Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cautions for Cannabis

White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
I was arrested back in 2001 for possession of two tiny lumps of solid. as i was 17 think they processed it a little differently than if i was 18. They said they gave me some kind of caution. I wouldn't have to confess to it when asked if i had a criminal record and in 3 years time it wouldn't show on any records.

Now the three years is up and i'm applying for proper jobs I was wondering if this was true. i know its pretty foolish not remembering exactly what they said, but i was kinda pilled up at the time and having my own little party in the police station :eek:

so is it like the incident never happened, or would it still be kept on file somewhere? if the later is the case would it show up on my criminal record?

any help would be greatly appreciated :yes:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should go to the police station it happened at and ask them about it.
  • Options
    it's gone. whatever happens it will never appear before a judge or magistrate ...unless you are being held and investigated for very serious crimes ...think huntley ...dr shipman ...and so on.
    so ...even though it's gone through the recylcle bin ...it's still recoverable.
    but for now ...tis gone ...forget about it everyone else has.
  • Options
    I was cautioned recently and although the dickhead police who did it were crap I asked how it would effect me when it came to police checks being done for jobs, I was told that employers would not find out because it was just a caution, when they check they see if you have a criminal record and the only way a drugs caution would go on there would be if you were arrested for possession so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not sure how long they keep it on record, when I asked them they didn't even know and told me its kept there forever!! But they were probably trying to 'scare' me! So I ain't sure about that one!

:)
  • Options
    Never admit anything mate, if you get caught out, play dumb ;)
  • Options
    Hmm, it depends, technically cautions are 'spent' under the Rehabilitation of Offendors Act 1973 after just 6 months.

This means you can put on a form that you do not have a record.

BUT, some jobs are not covered by this act, if you are working with children or in other jobs you may have to declare it.

However, because it was before you were 18, the likelyhood is it was taken off then. You will probably still have finger prints on file but not any offences.
  • Options
    It will cost you a little but what you could do is ask for a disclosure, this cost £20 or so and tells you if you have a record.

Its www.disclosure.gov.uk I think.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    A good place to check would be your local Citizens Advice Bureau, do a search on here to find out the number of your local bureau. Liberty may also be able to give you advice on what your rights are over the phone.
  • Options
    It will show up on an enhanced disclosure, which as bongbudda says you need to get for jobs with children or other vulnerable people. It shouldn't affect your chances of a job though.

You don't need to mention it for other job applications.

You may need to diclose it when applying for visas.
  • Options
    But if his record was sponged at his 18th birthday, which is possible for a simple caution it wont show on an advanced disclosure.
  • Options
    It did for someone I know.
  • Options
    Blimey, well thats a bit harsh.

Not many jobs need an advanced disclosure though do they.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I was under the impression that a partial disclosure would not show up such a caution, that only a full security disclosure for work with vulnerable individuals or sensitive information would show it up, but I am not positive that is the case.
  • Options
    Hmmm, well, if they have sponged his record completely which does happen to most people who are cautioned under 18 then nothing should show.

But, an advanced one might show they still have his prints on file and therefore he did have some dealings with the police.

I dont know how advanced an Advanced Disclosure is.
  • Options
    As we know from the Ian Huntley case, there is not really standardisation across police forces.

My friends experience was a caution at age 14, which he was told would be "spent" when he was 17, but shows up on enhanced disclosures.
  • Options
    How long was his record supposed to be on file?

When a mate of mine was busted at 16 they cautioned him for a year and kept his prints for 5 years. Well thats what they said they did anyway.

Actually his caution would have been 'spent' after 6 months if it was a standard brand 1 year caution.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Thanks for your help everyone. seems like i'm in the clear then :)

Think I may go for a few jobs that i wouldn't have now. Anyone know where to get spy application forms? :lol:

Seriously though, cheers :thumb:
  • Options
    MI5 does have an excellent graduate programme if you are of that level, but its really hard to get into.

Unless your going for a job which needs an advanced disclosure then you'll be fine.
  • Options
    i had an advanced thingymebob a few years back ...to do with old ladies and handicapped kids.
    my past was already common knowledge ...drugs and crime ...it did not prevent me working in the voluntary sector.
    last conviction was 1986 ...supplying class 'A.
    i was barred from having a firearms certificate for ten years.
    it seems you can be an ex crook and an ex con and still be cleared.
    such a disclosure may well have prevented me getting a job in a bank!