Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

chicago whips the llama's ass... :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
well, i went to chicago last weekend.. decided to take 4 days and just go.. i went once before, for a day, and loved it.. this return visit was equally grand.

i've been considering a move there... and now i'm pretty convinced that i would like to live there (i'm shooting for next april (2005)).

i don't know who of you has been before or perhaps live there, but i wasn't aware with how much there is to do! its quite the busy, bustling city... it sits right on one of the great lakes, so if you cross the street, you're standing on the edge of a huge body of water, tons of boats, sailboats, etc, lining the water.. a short walk up the coast and you're standing on sandy beaches, just like the coast.. the city itself is loaded with all sorts of shops, restaurants, and at all times of the day, the streets are filled with people out mulling around, street artists and musicians about, performing for the passer-bys... plus chicago has one of the best public park systems in the country. they're everywhere! its so nice...

really gave me some perspective on where i live now.. and just how boring it is here..

anyway, i'm back and feel refreshed from my visit.. the city treated me quite well and i can't wait to return..

later,
dep
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: chicago whips the llama's ass... :)
    Originally posted by dep
    well, i went to chicago last weekend.. decided to take 4 days and just go.. i went once before, for a day, and loved it.. this return visit was equally grand.

i've been considering a move there... and now i'm pretty convinced that i would like to live there (i'm shooting for next april (2005)).

i don't know who of you has been before or perhaps live there, but i wasn't aware with how much there is to do! its quite the busy, bustling city... it sits right on one of the great lakes, so if you cross the street, you're standing on the edge of a huge body of water, tons of boats, sailboats, etc, lining the water.. a short walk up the coast and you're standing on sandy beaches, just like the coast.. the city itself is loaded with all sorts of shops, restaurants, and at all times of the day, the streets are filled with people out mulling around, street artists and musicians about, performing for the passer-bys... plus chicago has one of the best public park systems in the country. they're everywhere! its so nice...

really gave me some perspective on where i live now.. and just how boring it is here..

anyway, i'm back and feel refreshed from my visit.. the city treated me quite well and i can't wait to return..

later,
    dep
    sounds like manchester in england ...only we have the river irwell and the ship canal ...
  • Options
    Man I love Chicago, my brother lives there with his wife and I really need to impose on them more often :lol:

There is so much there that's fantastic...The Art Institute, Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture, The Shedd Aquarium (biggest in the world, dontcha know), Sears Tower, The Observatory at the John Hancock building...and of course Navy Pier leading out onto Lake Michigan which is in itself a sight to be seen. Maggianos, where I had the best Italian meal of my life :D Oh memories.

I really need to go back... :(
  • Options
    I'm going to be living out there for a year in about a month - can't wait :)
  • Options
    well once i've moved up there, i'll have you all over for a mid-west thesite board get-together or something of that nature :)
  • Options
    I'm so jealous, why can't I move to the Windy City too? (Probably a lot do with being skint!)

What's taking you out there Jon?
  • Options
    Well I say chicago - I'm actually going Illinois university which really isn't that close by British standards but I plan on spending a lot of time in Chicago. Can't fucking wait!
  • Options
    I hate you

:crying:
  • Options
    For some reason your jealousy gives me a bit of an adrenaline rush . . . is that wrong? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    For some reason your jealousy gives me a bit of an adrenaline rush . . . is that wrong? ;)

Deeply.

Say hello to the John Hancock Building for me :(
  • Options
    tell you what I'll post some digital photos up here - it will almost be like your out there :)

(best I can do)
  • Options
    tell you what I'll post some digital photos up here - it will almost be like your out there :)

(best I can do)

Don't worry, my bitterness is almost all in jest :p

You're going to have a fantastic time, there's so so much to do and you're going to actually get a chance to do it all (or all of it that you want to!). Lucky!

Have you been before, btw?
  • Options
    No I haven't, been travelling quite a lot before but never to America so I plan on seeing as much as possible while I'm there :)
  • Options
    My mrs went to IU, its bloody HUGE!!!! And its really not very close to Chicago at all.

Personally I really dont like the Mid-West, its soooooo flat and the general landscape is really dull. The people are in the main quite nice though.

The lakes are nice, and if you go up into The Mit, then thats nice too.

Chicago I just found a little too clean and bland for my liking. Daley has sapped all the fun out of the place, its too safe.

Granted there are excellent museams and theres a couple of really tall buildings. But, theres just not that spark you get in other cities like Barcelona or Cape Town, Sydney or London.
  • Options
    Well I say chicago - I'm actually going Illinois university which really isn't that close by British standards but I plan on spending a lot of time in Chicago. Can't fucking wait!

Ohh I was thinking about going to UIC. I know quite a few people who do and say its quite nice. Real close to where alot of fun is too... that being bars and stuff ;) Then take Van Buren straight East a few minutes and you are downtown :D Oh the number of stop lights is sickening but in my opinion its an awsomely spectatular place. I only wish I still lived there. I'd move back in a heart beat without a second thought. And there are so many places to live too. I wouldn't suggest living right downtown because the cost of living there is up the ass. But still considered in Chicago, are so many places. I used to live in the section called Jefferson Park. 2 roads and a bit of patience would take you right to Lake Shore Drive or straight Downtown. They have so many delicious resturants and sights and music venues. There's Millenium Park, I'm not too sure if thats completed yet, but last time I saw it it was georgous. Soldier Field for the love of da Bears, Wrigley Field for the cubs. Navy Pier. They have a few great museseums. I love the mueseum of art. They have a paperweight collection there. Its crazy. And the sights of the trade buildings and Sears Tower, get into the heart of the good downtown and its like heaven :D