Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Kinda important as problem getting worse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK over the last few months I have been binging, I don't mean like eating a few too many sweets or whatever but I mean binging. If I eat one biscuit it usually ends up to be 10 I eat in 1 go. If I eat one packet of crisps it usually ends up to be 4. At first it wasn't as bad as this but it seems to be getting worse and I don't know what to do :( Help.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Someone please reply soon as this is really worrying me.
    Talk to your doctor if you are concerned about your eating habits.

Have you been feeling very depresed recently, carbohydrates are well-known for being "happy" foods which is why depressed people quite often eat a lot of them when they are said. Find out when you are eating a lot and it will probably help you to understand why you are eating a lot.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Talk to your doctor if you are concerned about your eating habits.

Have you been feeling very depresed recently, carbohydrates are well-known for being "happy" foods which is why depressed people quite often eat a lot of them when they are said. Find out when you are eating a lot and it will probably help you to understand why you are eating a lot.

Yes, it is important to try to work out why you are binge eating, as the emotional side of it is just as important as the food part. If you have been recently upset by something then it is not uncommon to use food as a comfort.

As you realise, over-eating, especially over-eating fattening things that are uhealthy and very bad for you in large amounts is not a good way to deal with emotions. I suggest you see your doctor if you want to sort it out, and maybe you could ask to be referred to a counsellor if you need someone to talk to about it.

If you want to stop binge eating then you need to train your body to stop eating when you are full and to realise when it's had enough food. This is difficult but very do-able. If you don't feel able to stop overeating then as I said, I suggest you see your doctor for advice.

I'm not sure if you have an eating disorder or not and I think at this stage it wouldn't be a good idea to label yourself but there is interesting info for anyone with problems with food or eating at the Eating Disorders Association:

EDA UK Homepage

You could also call them if you need a chat: 0845 634 1414 (M-F, 8:30am - 8.30pm)

take care x
    the main problem with this is that your body will quickly get used to being fed this amount of food and u will soon feel like u need to eat it, out of hait and because your body will think it is hungry if u eat less

best to go to the doctors sooner rather than leaving it a while as the habit will be harder to break, whatever may be causing it

eating this amount long term will end up making u obese with healh problems
    The others ahve given excellent advice but I wanted to post this like the compulsive eating factsheet. It has a link to Overeaters Anonymous which may be handy.
    :)
    Thanks for your advice. If I go to the doctors what will they do?
    Ask you questions about stuff, and see how you are.

I would have thougth it'd be the same (roughly) as it is for depression.
    What can they do to help me?
    Originally posted by ~kaz~
    What can they do to help me?

Usual suspects- counselling, ADs if you're depressed...
    Do you not have to pay for counciling?
    Not on the NHS you don't.

You should go to the doctor, and see what they say. They will know far better what the available options are.
    I feel so ashamed of my problem though, plus I would feel like I was wasting the doctors time.
    I feel so ashamed of my problem though, plus I would feel like I was wasting the doctors time.

its what doctors get paid for

wont be wasting their time because its in their days work...they're not volunteering...!
    well i found myself creeping into the same sort of situation but not to the same extreme, usually it was coz i was bored i'd eat. i then tried not buying any crisps or chocolate which is hard. instead i tried swapping the crisps or chocolate for fruit or nuts coz i figured that if i was gonna eat a lot of something it may as well be something healthy.

there are certain foods which although you eat a lot of will actually make you feel even more tired or hungry. things like white bread (toast), can actually make you feel more hungry. i used to eat toast every morning for breakfast before work and would still find myself hungry an hour later. this is because i think carbohydrates actually leave you feeling more hungry.

i would say go to your doctors if its really getting you down. which i think it is. they're not gonna laugh at you thats what they're there for. they may run some blood tests to see what vitamins your lacking coz that could also explain your need to binge eat.

hope it all goes well

rushin:D

When I was in the early stages of my depression I thought I would be "wasting the doctors time" so I didn't see anyone. I only saw someone professional after things had gotten really really bad (ie. now). And if I had just gone and spoken to the doctor and asked for his advice at the start then this whole thing would have been a lot less painful. It's really really hard to go to a doctor, esp. when you are ashamed of your problem, but you've already made progress by just admitting that the problem is there. And ultimately, the longer you leave it, the worse the problem gets, and in the case of eating problems, the longer you leave it, the more control the problem has over you. I really think you need to be brave and go and see your doctor. If you have a problem with health then that is what the doctor is there for, no issue that is enough to be worrying you would be wasting their time.

chin up chick xx
    Thanks for you advice people. I am def gonna go see my doctor enough is enough I need to get this sorted.