Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Code Red

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sounds cheesy, must be american.......but seriously, the colour-coded alert system invented in the wake of 9/11 has serious repercussions.

Should there be another terrorist attack sometime near the elections this november, as is predicted with growing certainty, despite any actual evidence offered to the public (because this would undermine intelligence - blah blah)..........anyways, if there is another attack then code red provides for full martial law (to protect the public) to come into effect, civilian institutions would be militarised, civil liberties suspended/outlawed, basically lockdown.

This idea is being put to the american public in the mainstream media with the usual spin until they actually believe this is for their good, to protect their country and their democracy, when in effect does the complete opposite.........how stupid are the majority of americans?!

this aside, an attack could also mean elections are indefinitely suspended (not that this would make much difference because militarisation is a bipartisan agenda, its a matter of time), goodbye free world..........

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    AFAIK, the USA have been in a state of "emergency" for decades now, giving the president powers he normally wouldn't have. And I thought that what you describe was already done, since the attack(?) in 2001.
  • Options
    no america has issued a number of 'orange alerts' since 9/11 to get the public used to the idea (imo some of these have been fabricated as well) but we havent had code red.......yet.
  • Options
    The more right wing people are, the less they like losing power.

Sadly the Bush administration has already proven it has no problem cheating to gain power, so don't be surprised if something else 'happens' should opinion polls suggest Bush might lose the election.

Incidentally, there were widespread rumours that Bush's Spanish poodle, J. M. Aznar and his right wing government, attempted a coup d'etat on the night before the Spanish general election. They saw growing anger amongst the public due to the government's spin over the Madrid attack (the government claimed it was ETA who did it for up to 36 hours after the attacks, when police and intelligence had suggested to the government no more than 6 hours after the bombings that it was the work of Islamic extremists). So on the night before the election, sensing a defeat that wasn't in the cards 4 days ago, they approached the King and asked him to sign a 'State of Exception' so the elections could be suspended.

Luckily the King told them to fuck off, and the rest is history.

The danger of neo-con scumbags to us all cannot be overstated.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Luckily the King told them to fuck off, and the rest is history.

You have just given the best reason for having a monarchy that I can think of...

I thought you were a republican...?
  • Options
    I am. I also acknowledge the role the King of Spain has played in establishing the democracy and seeing off various coups.

But I'd still like to see a Republic in Spain, if not today within the next 10 or 15 years. In any event the case of Spain is unique, with many Franco supporters still alive and remembering the 'old times'. Such a thing would never happen here or in most other countries with monarchies- not that a determined rebel group would have much problems about shooting the Head of State, if it need be.