Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

diet pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started taking Stacker 2's. These don't have ephedra in them. I was wondering if anyone else takes them. I swiped this partially filled bottle from my sister's room, so I didn't buy them. Do you have to be 18? How long did you take them? Are they addictive?

Just a few q's I wanted to know before I took them for a prolonged amout of time and ended up getting sick.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I wouldn't take them at all.

They're a waste of money, don't work and are usually bad for you in some way.

My friend took some for ages and they did nothing for her but made her need the toilet lots as she had to drink 8 pints of water a day with them.
    I haven't heard any real horror stories about Stackers, supposedly they give some people dizzy spells and make them feel generally weaker. Also I do know that if you're allergic to asprin you should steer well clear, as one of the base ingredients is the same. If this is so, they're an instant danger. However, I was led to believe they were one of the few diet pills still around that do contain ephedra. I know Xenadrine doesn't contain it anymore, I could be getting mixed up though.

Apparently it does shift a bit of weight for a lot of people, but I can't stress enough that you shouldn't be taking diet pills. It's not necessary and is a bit ridiculous anyway as they won't make you lose weight much faster than you would with a good diet and some exercise. Hardly worth the risk is it? Seemingly easy ways out are never so.

If you need diet/exercise advice then I'm sure there are many people who will be more than willing and able to dispense it to you, myself included.
    Originally posted by briggi
    I can't stress enough that you shouldn't be taking diet pills. It's not necessary and is a bit ridiculous anyway as they won't make you lose weight much faster than you would with a good diet and some exercise. Hardly worth the risk is it? Seemingly easy ways out are never so..

yes. diet pills are not good :no:
    June 16, 1989

And they're especially not good when you're 15...:o
    Well, the bottle said "Ephedra Free" and I checked the ingredients, there is no ephedra in them. I did this section in my jr high gifted/talented class a couple of years ago on sports medicine. I realize that they only make you lose water weight, and don't make you thinner. So I am drinking lots of water (drinking lots of water isn't bad for you) and instead of sitting around, waiting to lose the weight, I am utulizing the energy I get from it by exercising. I never have the energy to exercise, so I know not to take this for granted. I figure that I will take what's left of these. I do want to be able to exercise a bit of my weight off before fall homecoming. My friend, who plays soccer, and is in track and stuff, told me she had the same problem, never having energy to work out, but after she was working out regularly, her body was forced into speeding up its metabolism. So, I will finish these off, and go on losing weight naturally.
    Well to be honest it sounds like you've got a pretty sensible attitude. It would be better not to be taking any pills along with your healthy eating and exercise plan, especially given you're at a formative age, but it's your choice and I don't want to patronise you.

Basically Stackers are an appetite suppresant, not a miracle fat-burner. However, maybe that's exactly what you're looking for though. It's good that it's motivating you to be more active, as that's what will get (and keep) the weight off in the long-term.

Glad to hear it's ephedra free anyway, that's some nasty stuff.
    Some diet pills do work, but most are just bunk.

The ones that work have varients of amphetamine in them, the higher up the chain of amphetamine type drugs the more effective. However, this comes at a higher and higher cost. Speak to any ex-amphetamine user and they will tell you, the addiction is hard and heavy.

The bunk ones with have things like caffine or gauranna in, which although wont do you any serious harm, arent worth the money.

Eating less and exercising more is the only long term way of loosing weight.
    This is some information I found:

"Not for use by individuals under the age of 18" Intended for use by healthy adults".

Taking more than the recommended serving may result in heart attack, stroke, seizure or death. Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you have high blood pressure, heart or thyroid disease, diabetes, difficulty urinating, prostate enlargement, or glaucoma, or are using any prescription drug. Do not use if you are taking a MAO inhibitor or any allergy, asthma, or cold medication containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine. Discontinue use if dizziness, sleeplessness, loss of appetite, or nausea occurs.

BE VERY CAREFUL putting these kinds of chemicals in your body, it is far, far better to just exercise and eat healthily. You should not be taking these if you are 15.
    Hiya
    Take a lookie at this feature on diet pills - I think you'll agree that they aren't a good idea.

Instead concentrate on a balanced diet and regular exercise and you'll be fine. Boring advice, but the best, I'm afriad!
    ;)
    Heck, I take less than the reccommended dosage. I only take one, about 15 minutes after breakky. I know what those chemicals, like phenalalanine, can do. And that, folks, is why I am just gonna finish what I have got, while getting into the jist of healthier living. Like, last evening, my mom sent me up to the store with a list of groceries that included: Frozen pizza, Oreos, Ice cream, etc. Instead, I got all fresh veggies, salad mix, and some pasta. I told her that I will cook from now on, I wasn't going to let her fill me up with junk food. She just had to buy groceries, and I will cook all the meals. The look on her face was something along the lines of:

:eek2:
    Ha! I showed her.
    Good for you, girl!
    ;)