Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Itchy/Scrathies ?? [Over the counter]

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,

I have a very itchy/scratchy groin area - and im certain its not STI related, but i imagine is the same treatment,

i have only managed to get it from when i started playing football - and its really itchy!!!!!

Is there an over the counter solution ??

Also - Is Canestan HC a treatment for it ??

many thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do u wash much, because im pretty sure a build up of sweat and dirt can cause itchyness, and become an ideal environment for nasty bacteria and fungus!!
    yea - there's showers at the football!
    hmm

well the only way 2 find out for definate what it is (ie fungal infection/bacterial infection/std/excema) is to see a doctor...because if say u bought some antibacterial stuff it would only work if it was bacteria related

im prolly not making any sense am i
    rules

General rules with itches in that area tend to be
    1) Be absolutely certain it is not an sti and if in ANY doubt go to a doctor or GUM clinic.
    2) Keeping clean and wearing cotton underwear generally helps.
    3) Either talk to a pharmacist or doctor about an appropriate treatment. It could be as simple as an antiseptic cream or something similar or if you have got an infection then you might be given a course of antibiotics.
    :)
    Have you changed washing powder or bought new underwear at all? That may have caused it.

With regards to treating it ---

A lot of these infections tend to be fungal, so first of all I'd try normal Canesten cream. If asked opt for the 1% (Canesten AF) not the 2% (Canesten Thrush Cream).

If that doesn't help at all after a few days, make an appointment with the GUM clinic (that's where you'd get referred if you went to the doctor's anyway, most likely) and perhaps give the Canesten HC a go in the mean time. But I'd try the normal cream first, HC is hydrocortisone (a steroid) so it's a bit extreme to begin with.
    Re: The Itchy/Scrathies ?? [Over the counter]
    Originally posted by maillme
    Also - Is Canestan HC a treatment for it ??

No, just get normal 2% Canestan for thrush. If it doesnt clear up or get any better go and see your doctor.
    Sounds like thrush (which I've never had).

Eat bio yogurt.
    i overheard some guy talkin about this once, seems he went to the doctor and the problem was he masturbates too much