Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

father bringin charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay, my best mate's fiance beat up on her last week. now i know she shouldn't stay with him, etc, but that's not what i;m asking about at the moment.

my friend told her step-dad about it, and her step-dad now wants to bring charges against the fiance against her will. my friend is nearly 20.

my friend's step-dad says if she does not testify, he will cut her off from himself and her little sister.

my friend's fiance is not keen on the idea of being charged, but is flitting. one thing he's said is that if she does testify, he'll bring charges against her, as they do taunt each other when they have fights- odd slap on arm etc.

if he brings charges against her, she loses her career- child nursing.

is there anyway of keeping this out of the courts, and my friend not being cut off from seeing her baby sister?

they've gone to see a solicitor today, but i'm just wondering on your thoughts.

whatever she does, she's controlled by men- her step-dad, her fiance...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why is she even with this guy!? he's obviously an ass, what kind of partner beats you up then threatens to also bring charges if she chooses to? thats fucked up!
    I think her dad is a bit extreme to say he'd cut off contact but to be honest i think i'd call his bluff on it. if he really can go without seeing his children again then hes not much of a father is he.
    but then i think she should press charges against her fiance, or at least dump him then get some of the larger family members or friends to give him a kicking and warn him off.
    He might SAY he will bring charges back, but they wouldnt stick - the courts will be completely used to men saying that sort of thing to try and frighten women into not testifying against them.
    Is there proof that he beat her up - would the charges stick?
    It sounds to me like this man is a nasty piece of work and her stepdad only has her best interests at heart, although he shouldnt be forcing her to do it against her will. the thing is, he can probably see right through the fiance bloke and knows shes frightened to bing charges, so hes using desperate measures to try and encourage her to do it.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    He might SAY he will bring charges back, but they wouldnt stick - the courts will be completely used to men saying that sort of thing to try and frighten women into not testifying against them.
    Is there proof that he beat her up - would the charges stick?
    It sounds to me like this man is a nasty piece of work and her stepdad only has her best interests at heart, although he shouldnt be forcing her to do it against her will. the thing is, he can probably see right through the fiance bloke and knows shes frightened to bing charges, so hes using desperate measures to try and encourage her to do it.

:yes: agreed!
    yes, i totally agree with the fact that she shudn't be with this bloke. they're always argueing, she rarely spends time away from him (also partly because she's moved to uni and is half an hour away from her closest friend other than me)

he isn't that nasty, but he does seem to have a problem with control. she doesn't really talk to me much at the moment, as she has no money and i've been out of the country, but she's said before that he's almost hit her and then stopped.

i believe from what she said when i phoned her middle of last night, that during this arguement last week, she slapped his arm or scratched him with her nails.

she's worried about her university getting wind of this, and because she is aiming for a situation which involves children, she's worried they'll chuck her off the course.

she's said that even if she does break up with him, she wants to stay friends.

her step-dad isn't the nicest of persons. he does love her, despite not being flesh and blood, but he's also nasty to her and doesn't exactly make her feel great, altho i don't really think he would cut her off completely.

trouble is, off at uni she's not got much support from the people who really know her, and know her past. she's not the most stable of people- her mum died of cancer a year ago, and a close friend committed suicide recently, and the only person who's realy around her who knows is her fiance.

really not sure what to do. and i think i'm very calm about it at the moment too. will call her in 5 mins and get an update
    She should press charges. There's so many woman out there who don't & seem so ignorant. He only needs to be pushed over the edge and he could end up hurting her very badly. Dangerous passions tbh.

<script language="Javascript">
    <!--
    alert("Hello world!");
    //-->
    </script>