Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a student but I have summer job in an office atm and am being taxed. I know I can claim the tax back but how do I do that?

Comments

• Options
    If you are a student working in the holidays only, you need to fill out a form called a P38(s), this allows your employer to pay you gross, as it is unlikely that you will earn more than £4745 pounds in the tax year.

Did you complete a P46 to say it was your only employment or hand in a P45 when you started your new job?

It all depends on how much you have earned already this tax year really. If you can give me a bit more info, I will be able to offer my professional advice! hehe
  • Options
    I never completed a P46 (actually not sure about that coz I filled in a form for inland revenue but can't remembe what it was) or handed in a P45. This has been my only job this year and so far I have earned £173 something.

If you need any more info then ask and I will try and give you it.
  • Options
    It sounds like you are being taxed at 22%, However I don't know what you are earning per week, so it's just a guess. Have a look on your last payslip and see what the code is. If you are being taxed at 22%, that will show as BR. Your employer should have given you a P46, if you had no P45 to give them. This would have been A4 sized, with a carbon copy sheet underneath.

I think the best thing to do now would be to ring your local Inland Revenue office, with your National Insurance Number and your employers address (if you work for a big employer, give their headquarters address...if you are working through an agency, give the agency address). Let Inland Revenue know that this is your only & first job during this tax year, they will be able to issue a tax code to your employer who should action this asap, and refund any tax in your next wages.

Hope this helps!
    Inland Revenue Addresses