Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GUM Advice needed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have read the sticky above but it didnt give me much info, so I have a few questions for anyone thats been.

Bearing in mind im Female.

a) will I see a Male or Female Doctor?
b) will he/she perform any examinations?
c) will I have to see a nurse too?
d) if I wear a full skirt, will I have to take that off too?
e) my feet might smell whilst he is down that 'end' of me, shall I wear some tights or will they be a pain to take off?
f) can I get unchanged behind a curtain?
g) Do I put a gown on?
h) Will I have to use stirrups?

Question, questions! Im pooping myself, so can anyone help?

Luce

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry I don't know, I've never had to go.

Stirrups? :confussed:
    If you dont know, why bother posting?:rolleyes:
    a) will I see a Male or Female Doctor? I saw a female nurse (at the Mortimer Market Clinic in London)

b) will he/she perform any examinations? She asked me how many people I had sex with in the last 6 months, and the type of sex it was e.g. oral, vaginal, anal. Then she took blood for HIV and syphillis from my arm. She then took vaginal swabs for chlamydia etc

c) will I have to see a nurse too? When I was there, I only saw 1 female nurse

d) if I wear a full skirt, will I have to take that off too? It depends. You may only need to hitch it up if you're wearing a skirt

e) my feet might smell whilst he is down that 'end' of me, shall I wear some tights or will they be a pain to take off? I really wouldn't worry about your feet. I wore socks that day, and didn't take them off.

f) can I get unchanged behind a curtain? They normally give you some time to get ready behind a curtain. That's what happened to me anyway. The nurse was writing up notes, and the came through.

g) Do I put a gown on? I was given a gown to put on, but I didn't have to take my top off or anything, it was just to cover up

h) Will I have to use stirrups? Depends on the place you go to. I didn't have to have stirrups, because the examination was only a couple of minutes. I think if they were going to do longer investigating e.g. treating genital warts, then they'd probably put your legs in stirrups so you don't get too tired.

Hope this helps :)
    Hiya
    Most of the answers to your questions are in our FAQ on visiting GUM clinics - answered by a sexual health nurse, so you're in safe hands!
    :)