Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does going to uni change you into a better person?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My sis has got another year left @ uni to do finals/masters whatever it's called:confused:

Anyway since she has been at uni she has changed soo much & she is absolutely a different & even more fantastic person than she was pre-uni. Even though she was great before.

The reason I ask is because my girl is going to uni this Sept & i'm just wondering if she is also going to go through an amazing transformation as well. Like her having a greater independence & she can do what she wants when she wants.

Come on all you uni people feedback please:)

.:Crispy:.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    i don't think uni has anything to do with it. i think it's just that 18-22 are your formative years. i'd say everyone changes massively in that time, uni or no.
  • Options
    its changed me as a person

its made me realise my priorities in life, and appreciate things that have always been handed on a plate

I also know how to look after myself and be more independant

And also to manage my money
  • Options
    To be fair, wouldn't you have also learned all those things just by going out and getting a job and living independently, regardless of university?
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but I had a really close friend who went to uni and she turned into a complete bitch.

It depends on the individual really.
  • Options
    I don't think it is university as such, mre the experiences you have whilst there!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I hate to say it, but I had a really close friend who went to uni and she turned into a complete bitch.

It depends on the individual really.

I'd go with that. I have a mate who went to do some jourmalism course, decided he was the new Piers Morgan and turned into a right self-righteous tosser. Different people change in different ways, that's it really.
  • Options
    No it doesn't. You make yourself into a better person.

University gives you opportunities to think, and to see the world from different perspectives. This is especially true in the traditional degrees, rather than the Media Studies Bollocks that people seem to clamour for these days. Whether you use these new skills for good or for bad depends on the individual.
  • Options
    its not the same experiences as getting your own place and a job, at all

its about eing thrown in with a complete spectrum of different people, and having to live with them and breathe the same air as them even if you hate their guts

its about having to survive earning next to nothing or nothing at all (i couldnt get a job due to campus in the middle of nowhere and no car)

and its about self motivation to reach your own goals

a balancing act between work and social life
  • Options
    I have definately changed for the better since starting university, but to be honest it would have been very difficult for me to have changed for the worse. I think it is just the fact that I have matured and have become less selfish.