Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs. Male/Female

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im just wondering, as a company is it allowed to say that something is a mans job? The Tesco Extra near me dont take on females to work on trolleys, yes i understand they work in harsh weather conditions, but are they allowed to say that?:confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm, thats a difficult one.

Under the sex descrimination act there are execptions to the rule of equal rights. The obvious examples being like working in a womens refuse or amoung gay males in a drug drop in centre.

But, for the job of pushing trolleys about? Hmm, they could argue that they are just taking on people who are apt for the job, but it does sound like they have a sexist hiring policy to me.

You may want to try and find out what union (if any) represents Tesco workers and contact them about this.
    A few people have said females arent able to push the trolleys,but they have machines that do this now, all you have to do is direct them. surely a female should be able to do that! Its not a jpb im interested in, i just think its unfair.
    The union for tesco and most other supermarkets is called "usdaw". I didnt think they only took on men for the job though, sexism i mght say.
    Did someone actually say to you that they don't take on females for this job as a rule? Or is it written anywhere in the literature? I worked in Tesco last summer on the checkouts and there were two girls who worked on the trolleys, although most of them were lads. I have to say they were fairly "big" girls...in that they looked like they commanded a fair bit of strength and certainly weren't waif-like or shrinking violets.

I'm not defending Tesco...far from it, but I reckon it's probably just that the majority of females applying for jobs there either wouldn't be effective in the role, or wouldn't want that job anyway! I know I didn't. I think it probably varies from person to person, I don't think it's their official policy to only employ men for it.

If there are machines used now for the trolleys, I don't see why it shouldn't be open to anyone though! Although they don't use 'em at our Tesco far as I've seen. Bottom line is that they aren't in keeping with equal opportunities and if you or someone else has been refused for the job simply due to being female, then I'd kick up a fuss!
    Which girl in thier right mind would want to push a load of trolleys anyway?! :p
    A friend of mine now works on the tills, but during her interview she told them she would like to work on the trolleys as well as, and she was told, ' We do not take on femalesfor that position'
    The union for tesco and most other supermarkets is called "usdaw".

i work for argos, and our union is usdaw so i would imagine its highly likely tescos is to.