Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

new jobs and wages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the minimum wage is for a 19 year old?

I started a job at my local kennels 2 weeks ago and on my second day i went and spoke to the boss about my pay, i asked her how much i will be getting per hour and she said i havent decided yet i will tell you in a couple of weeks

Is it just me or is that slightly wrong....ive worked 70 hours now and i dont even know what im getting, ive been told it will probably be very little. I just dont think its fair that im being strung along when it might not be worth my while

Is she waiting to see what im worth?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Minimum wage figures.

It goes without saying, of course, that you should have agreed what your wage will be before you started working with your employer, and you should have had this figure in writing.

They have to pay you £3.80 per hour, rising to £4.10 in October, and no more. Expect no more, new workers have no rights.
    I always feel really rude asking about pay when going for a new job:(
    Originally posted by Zella

If you don't then you can guarantee to be ripped off.
    It'd only be rude if that's the first thing you say to them. Tbh, they're gonna be expecting you to ask them, it's only fair for you to know.

I do aswell, :blush: and embarrsed.
    the thing is i have asked and she wouldnt tell me...now im really in need of money which is why i carried on working and i couldnt really be arsey with the lady and say i wont work until you pay me because i got this job through a friend and well i cany explain.

I dunno what to do. All i know is im finding it really hard to be motivated to this high labour job when i could be earning peanuts.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Minimum wage figures.

It goes without saying, of course, that you should have agreed what your wage will be before you started working with your employer, and you should have had this figure in writing.

its hard, she sorta has control over me as she could drop me at any time and put me out of work...shes not a nice woman and she kinda scares me.
    as a employer they should be telling you, if your doing the same work as some one else there, in the same age group, at the same level then you should be payed the same as them, they cant pay you differently. if it was me i'd be asking how much i was on by now. i think you should to, dont let them take you for a ride.:(
    Originally posted by Foxxy_Cymru
    as a employer they should be telling you, if your doing the same work as some one else there, in the same age group, at the same level then you should be payed the same as them, they cant pay you differently. if it was me i'd be asking how much i was on by now. i think you should to, dont let them take you for a ride.:(

as i said i have asked, and she wouldnt tell me
    Ask again, keep on asking till she tells you. Or you could always ask someone who works there what the usual rate of pay would be for your job. I had to do that where I work cos i was to scared to ask the boss lady:(
    That's the first question you should ask when going for a job. Followed by contracted hours, overtime & overtime rates, and holiday entitlements. You should also be able to ask for a job description, telling you about your duties, and what's expected of you.
    Then, if you like the sound of the money, etc, you can move on to other questions.
    I'd ask how much I'd be earning at the bloody interview!

She shouldn't have to 'decide' how much she's paying you, surely she'd already know.

Do you have proof of when you've worked?
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    its hard, she sorta has control over me as she could drop me at any time and put me out of work...shes not a nice woman and she kinda scares me.

She could drop you at any time, that is very true- new employees have no rights at all.

If she is refusing to tell you how much you are earning I would suggest contacting either your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or contacting the ACAS helpline on 08457 47 47 47.

Your rights to pay.
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I'd ask how much I'd be earning at the bloody interview!

She shouldn't have to 'decide' how much she's paying you, surely she'd already know.

Do you have proof of when you've worked?

I would of asked at the interview only there was no interview. I went in for a 2 hour trial which i have found out im not getting paid for doing even though i worked my arse off. The boss wasnt there at the trial and i didnt meet her till the next day, when i asked her and she said she will tell me later when she has decided.
    I dont have proof of how long ive worked, all we do at the end of a days work is chalk it onto a board and add it up at the end of the week...

Im scared to say anything in case i lose the job and never get paid. To top it off i really want to quit but i cant in case i dont get my money...which is now 80 hours worth.

I have a feeling that if i contact citizens advice or something then my boss will get arsey about it, and pretend to them that she has never heard of me...meaning i wont get my money.

My plan is to keep her sweet until payday when i will find out my wages and then QUIT!
    If you take it to court it is a balance of probabilities, not definitive proof. So you'd have more chance of winning.

Talk to ACAS and get a clear defintion of your rights and responsibilities. Because right now honey you don't have a leg to stand on, it sounds like she will turn around and pay you £14.90 BECAUSE SHE CAN. She could just not pay you anyway, you need to make sure you know your rights.

Because what your employer doing is illegal.
    Have you sorted it yet?