Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

to shroom or not to shroom?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First thing's first. The only drug I've ever done is weed (other than alcohol and cigarettes of course). Now, mushrooms sound like fun to me, and my question isn't on the amount I should take or anything, it's whether it can affect my brain. My sister thinks it'd be a stupid idea as mental disorders run in my family and she thinks if it goes wrong I could end up with skitzophrenia or something, as one of my cousins suffers from this. I don't really know the side effects to mushrooms, so can anyone clarify, is it possible that they could send me spiralling into insanity?

Comments

• Options
    I would give it a miss if there are mental health problems in your family. It may be natural but that doesnt mean its mild.
  • Options
    Precisely, mushrooms (and all trips for that matter) can trigger mental health problems, be it the 1st time or the 50th time you've used them. It's probably a bad idea if you've a strong history of family mental health problems.

As for other side effect; lifted from erowid:
    "Many people experience nausea and/or vomiting during mushroom experiences, epecially with higher doses. Other possible negative effects include anxiety and unwanted or frightening thoughts and visions. Mushrooms, though perhaps to a lesser degree than LSD, can precipitate strong, temporary changes in an individual's experience of life and reality. It can be a powerful psychoactive experience, especially at higher doses, which is significantly affected by experiences, set and setting. Recent experiences, especially strong ones, can have a substantial effect on a trip. Physically or psychologically unsettling events in the days before a Mushroom trip can blossom into more serious distress and trauma while tripping. It is important to be prepared for the possibility of encountering difficult or frightening mental states."
  • Options
    Yeh you could experience a very unpleasant trip.
  • Options
    But never listed to that policeman who comes round your school in yr11 and says if you do mushrooms you will have a bad trip think you are a orange and try and peel yourself.......

Give them a miss, plenty of other stuff out there!

Bopz
  • Options
    chaos! welcome back mate...
    i'd say stick with the weed. if you do decide to try them ...have half of what everyone else is having for your first trip. by the way it's called a trip because ...well you go on a trip ...a trip out.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I'm with Rainbow and z0ma on this one, I would recommend you stay well away.

From what I understand about the way mushrooms work, you may have a really bad experience if you have any worries before you take it, it may make you overly anxious and paranoid when you are tripping.

The way I look at it, you need to think very carefully about whether this experience is important enough to risk your future mental health for the rest of your life, considering you are in a higher risk catergory for drug taking.
  • Options
    mental illness runs in my family but ive took mushrooms, truffles twice, over 40 e's and smoked loads of cannabis. but when i was on mushrooms awhile bak i even knew i wasnt going to enjoy the trip because last 2 times i had truffles i was paranoid and uncomfortable but i wanted to try mushrooms badly so i did. took them in amsterdam, only took 20 mins to feel something, just got in my hotel room with my friend who i asked to look after me when they hit me. i felt very uncomfortable, i wasnt paranoid just i had fear pumping through me, it was strange, but if i hadnt of been with my 30 palsi would have went awol, i had to keep talking to them because it was the only way i felt good. then when i came down i smoked and had a drink and was fine the next day as well. but while we're on the subject something weird happened to me yesterday after i had 2 buckets. all of a sudden patterns from the mushroom trip could be seenwith my eyes closed and only alittle bit if they were open. then i looked at my photo and then my expression changed to the way it did when i was tripping, (when i trip i find peoples eyes look scary kind of thing) i saw my expression change from happy to evil. well you can imagine i was well shocked because i was stoned, mellow and not expecting this. but then i got scared again only for a minute just say and it went. At the time i thought it was a flashback and even now i think i had one but maybe not. my point is ive had mental problems and so has a few of my family members but im no schizophrenia through taking hallucinogenics. although everyone is different of course. if anything stay away from E's because them and mental problems just dont mix, i now know that. its upto you to be careful so taking mushrooms might be a risk for you and you could trigger something off. but if you want to try them just have half of what everybody else has like morrocan roll said. good luck with whatever choice you pick.

sorry for the long post didnt know it was gonnabe this long!!
  • Options
    thanks for all your views and opinions, as you can tell I'm not really that clued up on drugs. I'm still considering it, but if I do ever take them it will be in a nice, calm environment, with good friends I can trust, and I will take a very, very small dosage.
  • Options
    Just eat the shrooms and have the time of your life, your not going to die.
  • Options
    Thats not massively helpful Shogun, granted you have enjoyed them but I suspect you have not done a high dose.

Just because mushies are natural and most of the time nice does not mean they arent dangerous.

Higher doses of mushies can be just as scary and disturbing as any trip.

But at the same time, who are we to judge on whether they would or would not have a good time.

I just think it would be best to stay clear.
  • Options
    My brother tried them for the first time the other weekend, when it was really sunny. They sat out in his mates garden with the sun blazing and blissful music and said that him and his mate thought they were in heaven. ...Until it started to rain, and it turned there experience upside down - a huge amount of paranoia, like serious paranoia, at their peak, his mate who took them with him kept thinking he had stopped breathing...lucky they had a minder with them to keep 'reminding him to breathe'. Although its all pretty blury they said that the latter part of thier trip was terrifying, so if you aren't totally sure i'd recommend to leave them alone. My brother and his mate aren't the sort you'ld think would admit being 'scared' but yea. They're obviously fine, but I think that you have to be totally sure you want to take them as any doubts could lead to a bad trip.

Not wanting to sound patronising or anything because i'm sure you'll now this anyway, but if you do them, then make sure you have a minder there to look after you and at least help reassure you if anything does go a little wrong. :)
  • Options
    Having a sitter whenever you do a strong trip is really an excellent idea but its actually rare people do it.

I've gotten involved in some heavy trips which would have been much less ugly if there was someone sober there to talk to me.
  • Options
    I personally think mushrooms are stronger than most acid ive tried - obviously depending on the dose. But mushrooms are much more intense and visual in my experience.
    Its not worth only doing a small amount `just to try them`, because when ive taken a lower amount, ive just spent the whole time thinking `its gonna get better in a minute`, but it doesnt. Its just like being on the edge which is quite frustrating.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    when ive taken a lower amount, ive just spent the whole time thinking `its gonna get better in a minute`, but it doesnt. Its just like being on the edge which is quite frustrating.
    so true and your thing about mushies being stronger than acid confirms everything i've ever said on here about todays acid ...it isn't ...or it's just crap compared to what you should be getting when you buy acid.
    if someone takes acid ...real acid in a real dose i expect them to be full of the WOW factor ...talk about it for years ...not 'oh such and such a thing happened.
    thats bollox. acid realy should have such an effect that your talking about it for years.
  • Options
    It depends totally on the dose Rolly, of course acid has indeed become a lot weaker since it was made illegal.

Tabs used to be about 200-250mcg now they are normally closer to 50mcg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    so true and your thing about mushies being stronger than acid confirms everything i've ever said on here about todays acid ...it isn't ...or it's just crap compared to what you should be getting when you buy acid.
    if someone takes acid ...real acid in a real dose i expect them to be full of the WOW factor ...talk about it for years ...not 'oh such and such a thing happened.
    thats bollox. acid realy should have such an effect that your talking about it for years.

yeah, so if you took quite a few would it give you a better effect or would it just fuck you up more in a bad way?

Same kind of situation with Ecstasy really, back in the day they was strong as fuck now they are very hit and miss but they still give you a good bang for your buck , its a shame the new E users of today cant experience what used to be about when they were a tenner a pill.
  • Options
    Taking enough of them though digital would give you the same hit outta them as back when it first started out, they'r much cheaper today you see..4 for a tenner.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Taking enough of them though digital would give you the same hit outta them as back when it first started out, they'r much cheaper today you see..4 for a tenner.

4 for a tenner isnt a bad price at all!

i suppose if you wanted to buy in bulk it would work out even cheaper still.

I would like to try acid , i done mushies and truffles before i found them quite good fun, but acid isnt around my neck of the woods dont think it has been in years.

Given the chance though if offered i`d probably buy about 10 tabs and have a wicked time!
  • Options
    what are truffles?
  • Options
    One of the things you must consider before taking shrooms is whether you are ready to really think about your life. Shrooms will make you think quite deeply about a lot of different things.

It's quite hard to describe but during the 2 times I've taken them, towards the end of the trip I've found myself thinking very deeply about friendships, family, etc. etc. Some of it can be quite daunting and naturally some of it will be unpleasant.

But, the good things far outweigh the bad and I'd have no hesitation in doing them again. Here are some big Thai badboys I've got for tomorrow night:

http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v219/ben3085/CIMG0037.jpg

:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    yeah, so if you took quite a few would it give you a better effect or would it just fuck you up more in a bad way?

Yes you could give yourself the same effect as the tabs of the 60's by just taking more. This is because unlike with MDMA you either get LSD or you dont, you dont get contaminants like with MDMA (MDA left over from the synth).

However, that doesnt mean its going to be a good or a bad experience, it will be stronger which means the likelyhood of it being bad is higher but then its far from a certainty.

However having said that about you only getting LSD there is some debate over the crystal of the acid and even the karma of the person making it. Also there have been some reports of 5-meo-amt being used in tabs insted of acid.