Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Well the handover has happened.

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have merely admonished Luke to practice backing up his claims. Hardly an attack. Clearly we shouldn't even challenge people to raise their standards of debate lest they feel persecuted.

And people wonder why there is an overall dumbing down in modern education. A little direct admonition towards improvement is character building.
    There are ways to do it.
    Let's put it like this, a teacher giving suggestions in the same manner as you do, would most probably not be teaching by now or would have spent hell of a lot of time with the principal and parents.
    There are ways to do it.
    Let's put it like this, a teacher giving suggestions in the same manner as you do, would most probably not be teaching by now or would have spent hell of a lot of time with the principal and parents.

Thus adding further to the overall dumbing down of modern education in the west. How dare we reprimand shoddy work, just praise the little darlings and let them slog on ill equipped intellectually to face the weighty issues of today.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Thus adding further to the overall dumbing down of modern education in the west. How dare we reprimand shoddy work, just praise the little darlings and let them slog on ill equipped intellectually to face the weighty issues of today.

You don't get the point. There is encouragement to improvement, and there is your method, disencouragement.
    Well thank you for your opinion Jacq, but given your record of dismissive posts, I hardly expect that you would acknowledge the truth of anything I would present anyways. So little surprise here as well.
    Well thank you for your opinion Jacq, but given your record of dismissive posts, I hardly expect that you would acknowledge the truth of anything I would present anyways. So little surprise here as well.

Don't know if you have children, but let me put it like this:
    How would you react if a stranger (or anyone for that matter) even over the internet replied to your kid, like you do here?
    I would expect my kid to have the intellectual honesty not to make bold assertion of fact without providing any source substantiation or demonstrating any effort to research what he was talking about before making such claims.

Simple academic integrity. Something which even highschool students are capable of demonstrating when engaging in any form of debate or discussion.
    Uno, this is not school.
    Dos, regardless of what your kid knew or didn't, you'd want others to encourage it to back up claims, rather than putting it down for not doing so.

Either way, this discussion doesn't belong here. But I just thought it was worth noting.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I would expect my kid to have the intellectual honesty not to make bold assertion of fact without providing any source substantiation or demonstrating any effort to research what he was talking about before making such claims.

Simple academic integrity. Something which even highschool students are capable of demonstrating when engaging in any form of debate or discussion.

I think there are many regulars who contribute a lot in other forums yet avoid this one because they feel intimidated. The majority of the content in other forums is posted by young 16-25 year olds where as this forum is completey different.
    While there is no doubt that the older and more able debators in this forum can encourage the younger posters to buck up their skills, it's also worth noting that they can be just as easilly intimidated by you - especially when they see slanging matches and petty insults flying about from otherwise intelligent debators.

Bassically I think it's just worth remembering from time to time that you are posting on a site aimed at 16-25 year olds.
    Weekender Offender 
    Point taken, apologies.
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I don't mind who posts on this site, I don't own it and I know it's aimed at 16 - 25 year olds. I don't mind at all if a 90 year old posts, it's nice to see other people posting.

I have no porblmes with anyone on here.

But some people, just give me a break, instead of having ago at me, help me! Thanks.

well we do, but you just ignore us and continue blabbering on without supporting your claims with evidence.
    I believe it should be a monarchy once more, that would safeguard the interests of the country rather than those of the US,

First off you should familiarise yourself with the nature of the previous monarchy and why it was overthrown. Faisal I was installed as monarch just after WWI by the British to serve British oil interests in the region. His son, the last king before the rise of the Baathists, Faisal II actually sought to break free of British domination and was summarily crushed for it.

Frankly, any government not deriving from the express will of the indigenous (not 50 year exiles) Iraqis cannot have any claim to legitimacy and will certainly remain a cause for ongoing insurgency (the right of any people to take up arms against foreign domination) and require the ongoing presence of US troops permanently stationed in their newly acquired client state.

The only just thing to do is to pull out entirely and deny Bush and his coporate cohorts the prize over which they have been lusting for so long. If civil war is then the result, so be it. We have had our own similar civil wars without imposition or dictat from foreign powers, so what makes us the moral authority over the future struture of Iraqi society, other than our neo-colonialistic ambitions and disregard for international law whenever it suits our leaders?