Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

getting talked to at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have no idea where this goes so I'll stick it here as it deals with work. so at the hotel i work at we are supposed to have a valid credit card on file or else we're not supposed to check them in. but i don't pay that much attention when i scan the credit card and if it comes back declined or something i either dont notice or i feel all embaressed to tell them and stuff. but with two people i didn't do it to, one of them ended up not paying and that cost us $200+ and another one totally trashed a room and cost us another 200+ in damages. All my fault because I have horrible confrontation skills. And now when I go back to work I am going to get talked to about it obviously. The only problem being I'm scared shitless. The manager is really nice and I have no problem with that but other things make it extremly scary for me. One word into it and I will more than likely burst out into tears. How can I deal with this and not seem like a total fool?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would just have a good think through about it all before you go, decide what you're going to say and that should help you stay calm. Just be honest, tell her that you don't like confronting and embarassing people if their cards are refused but you realise now that its important for you to do so, otherwise you will end up being held responsible.

As for the actual issue of confronting people, dont worry about it, cards can often get refused for reasons that have nothing to do with the individual (eg. a problem with the bank), sometimes I've even gone into a shop and given them a card which I'm not sure will be accepted 'cos I don't know how much money I have in my account. If you feel embarassed about telling people their card has been declined, just apologise and explain that you've had problems in the past with people not paying or wrecking rooms etc. and so its important for the hotel to have a card on file. Don't worry about it, most people will be totally understanding, after all you're just doing your job. If they do kick up a fuss you can always get a manager or someone who is bound to tell them exactly the same thing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by almost_innocent
    I would just have a good think through about it all before you go, decide what you're going to say and that should help you stay calm. Just be honest, tell her that you don't like confronting and embarassing people if their cards are refused but you realise now that its important for you to do so, otherwise you will end up being held responsible.
    I'd have to dis-agree with the second part to this purely for the reason that - If you have a problem with confronting people etc.. you obviously don't have the proper skills to do the job that they have employed you to do. This IMO may cause a problem, it might not but I don't see the point in admitting you can't do the job properly.

Personally I would just apologise for the mistake and make sure they know it will never happen again. You will have to just bite your lip and go for it next time and tell the person there card hasn't being accepted, after a while it probably won't bother you, and you will do it without even thinking about it.