Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self harm type thread

Considering that a many members on these boards self harm and are rather vocal about doing so, I think it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread or fact sheet about how to treat the cuts that have been made. I'm not sure if its been done already but
I know I havn't seen anything on it.

I think it would be a good idea for the slef harmers out there to know how to treat their wounds safely so to prevent infection.
The only reason I learnt how to treat my cut was from a first aid course I took for work.
I know that alot of people think that it should just be comman sence and simple first aid, but it depending on the size and depth of the cut.

I used to cut quite deep and just rap a load of tissue round my arm and hope they would be ok. And I have been very lucky not to have had an infection.

I would just like to add that this thread is in no way premoting self harm. I think it would be a very valuble thing for self harmers to know about. Maybe you (mod type people) could get a nurse or someone like that to write it.

Thanks
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is already a sticky self harm thread.
  • Options
    Forgive my ignorance of the subject please, but if the point is to harm yourself, surely subsequent infection is another form of harm? I don't mean this to sound offensive, I would rather like to be enlightened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Forgive my ignorance of the subject please, but if the point is to harm yourself, surely subsequent infection is another form of harm? I don't mean this to sound offensive, I would rather like to be enlightened.

It isn't about causing and infection.. just because someone cuts themself doesn't mean they want to cause infection, the cutting isn't about harming it's about the release it gets and from an infection you don't get a release, well.. I wish I could explain it better but I can't really. erm.. I know I genrally keep all my cuts clean,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    There is already a sticky self harm thread.

agreed. i think there is a very worrying trend towards this becoming the self harm board.

the sticky is supposed to be for depression and self-harming. but it seems to have been taken over by self harm. so i think, perhaps that it might be a good idea to have two stickies. one for self harm, and one for depression/anxiety/panic, cause us over here with the anxiety disorders don't even get a look in, and i know there are at least 5 other people on this site who have emetophobia, and could probably do with advice/a good rant from time to time.

so yeah. my suggestion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    It isn't about causing and infection.. just because someone cuts themself doesn't mean they want to cause infection, the cutting isn't about harming it's about the release it gets and from an infection you don't get a release, well.. I wish I could explain it better but I can't really. erm.. I know I genrally keep all my cuts clean,

I see.. .I think! Thanks.
  • Options
    I see.. .I think! Thanks.

Sorry I couldn't word it better, I wish I could've but I'm not the best..
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Have you seen the self harm sticky by Susie at the top of the Health boards?- links and lots of advice and info there, including first aid.

Any more specific suggestions would be glady received and considered.

Kimono x
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    the sticky is supposed to be for depression and self-harming. but it seems to have been taken over by self harm. so i think, perhaps that it might be a good idea to have two stickies. one for self harm, and one for depression/anxiety/panic, cause us over here with the anxiety disorders don't even get a look in.
    There's no reason why you shouldn't post there, surely? Sorry if I missed the point. I know there's a lot about self-harm but no one's going to have a go or ignore you if you post something about other depression and anxiety problems.

Edited to add, I didn't mean it's a bad idea, Kaff. And actually a thread aobut eating disorders wouldn't go amiss either it seems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    agreed. i think there is a very worrying trend towards this becoming the self harm board.

the sticky is supposed to be for depression and self-harming. but it seems to have been taken over by self harm. so i think, perhaps that it might be a good idea to have two stickies. one for self harm, and one for depression/anxiety/panic, cause us over here with the anxiety disorders don't even get a look in, and i know there are at least 5 other people on this site who have emetophobia, and could probably do with advice/a good rant from time to time.

so yeah. my suggestion.

:yes: very good idea
  • Options

Ah... well when I was harming myself infection was a concern oddly enough... See the shock of the cutting, the feeling of dragging a razor across my arm and the way I felt it dragging through was enough to help cure my fix. But as for infection... I'd heat the blade with a lighter to steralise it (like a junkie?) and sometimes but Savlon on it after...

See for me at least after I'd got over my low point... cut and then had a panic attack the pain would come back... and even wearing clothes over the cuts was unbearable.

It was more of a release than an intent to scar myself....

Anyway, don't use cotton wool as it tends to irritate the wound. I always found that my arm felt hot afterwards... so maybe try and run it under a cold tap to cool it off, which also relieves the pain. Then apply savlon and cover it as best you can.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Our self harm section is here - it has loads of factsheets and features about everything you havespoken about, including minimising damage and fist aid - here.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    In relation to this thread, has anyone bought this month's issue of cosmopolitan?

I've just bought it and was surprised to see a 4 page article on self harm. I thought it was good.

Its unusual for cosmopolitan to put summat in like that in their mag.

For those of you who have read it, what did you think?

Is there really, you wouldnt expect something like that to be in there. I spose more people are speaking out about it though now.
  • Options
    why do self harmers cut their arms? why not their legs or bum or a place easier to cover....surely arm cutting is just a way of attracting attention
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    why do self harmers cut their arms? why not their legs or bum or a place easier to cover....surely arm cutting is just a way of attracting attention

A lot do- I didn't just cut my arms, I also cut my chest and shoulders. And even on my arms I only cut above the elbow- it didn't show under t-shirts. Many people cut on their thighs and hips too, though obviously you cannot see them.

Some people do do it for attention, but even if it is visible it is not necessarily for attention. Many people cut the wrists because they are delicate and they hurt more.

I think that the trouble with the current SH sticky is that it is so long- people will start a new thread rather than wade through 20 pages of entries.

Eating disorders need a mention, kaff. Start a thread like DJP did, and I am sure it will be made a sticky.
  • Options

Some who self harm do enjoy the infection afterwards, and enjoy picking the scabs off the wounds so that they will hurt more.

For some the pain is not the only aim, however.

Personally speaking, I got far more out of cutting from the act of destruction, the blood trickling out down my arms and chest, than the actual pain; strangely, when the harm is self-inflicted, it doesn't actually hurt all that much. It isn't like if another caused the injury, the pain isn't the same; stubbing my toe hurt more than cutting my arm to shreds.

Also, as self injury is cathartic in its nature, after the cutting session quite often the person cares for their wounds as the desire to destroy and hurt is no longer so severe.
  • Options

Personally I have hardly ever cut my arms for that exact reason - it's where people are most likely to see and I would be open to comments such as "attention seeker". I cut only in places that can't be seen easily. I would just like to point out that I have never wanted attention at any point during my self-harm problem.

But I think that mainly arm cutting isn't for attention seeking - that is why most people wear long sleeved tops etc after cutting. Often when you are doing it the fact that people might see it isn't your top priority. Then afterwards you think "oh fuck what have I done?".

And yes, some people will be after attention. But there are different types of self-harmers, and those after attention clearly need it because they have a problem, just like those who hide it. And the chances are that because people can see what they have done they will get help quicker than someone who covers it for years.

and while we're on the topic, I haven't cut for 12 days :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    those after attention clearly need it because they have a problem[/SIZE]

I'm glad someone else said that.

Anyone who craves attention so badlky that they will cut themselves obviously has serious issues, just not the ones that people think they do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I'm glad someone else said that.

Anyone who craves attention so badlky that they will cut themselves obviously has serious issues, just not the ones that people think they do.

:yes:
  • Options
    It's really not that hard to hide if you have to. I cut my arms unless I have a really good reason to cut somewhere else (e.g. I have to wear a strappy dress tonight or if my arms are pretty saturated, for want of a better word). If I can't cut my arms it never seems to have the same effect. It doesn't make me feel better like it should, I don't understand why but that's how it is for me.

Besides which, when you're doing it, you're rarely worried about how to hide it until you've finished. By which time, it's too late.
  • Options
    Personally, I've never felt the need to self harm and wouldn't/couldn't dream of putting a knife to my skin! Makes me queezy just thinking about it!

I was told by my piercer though, that according to the medical profession, piercing is another form of self harm...
    I've been pierced since I was 4 years old and have had a relatively normal, happy, non-depressive childhood! I couldn't for one minute believe that I get pierced due to 'an underlying issue' cause I don't believe I have any!

What do you all think about piercing being self harm?

Ilora x