Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dressing to look older?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya im nearly 17 and i think that ive got a quite young looking face. Anyways im going out in town on friday as all my friends have said they think i will get in and they've been asking me to go for ages.

What do you think i should wear to have a better chance of getting in?

I was thinkin mini skirt, heels and a dressy top but some people have said that wearing a skirt makes you look like you've put too much effort in (ie your trying to get in).

Other idea was 3/4 jeans with heels and dressy top?

Please help im really stuck! Any ideas welcome!

(please no nasty comments about if im not 18 i shouldnt be going anyway!:( thanx)

Comments

• Options
    hmm, about the skirt...if it's too short you tend to give the impression that you're trying too hard and maybe thinking that flashing a bit of flesh will help you get in. i'm not saying that's what you thought or anything. do you know whether the bouncers are particularly strict or not? another thing, don't wear too much make-up.
  • Options
    Re: Dressing to look older?
    Originally posted by luckystar69
    (please no nasty comments about if im not 18 i shouldnt be going anyway!:( thanx)

Ooh, you're no fun!

I went to Newcastle drinking when I was 16 - didn't have any trouble at all and I wasn't wearing anything flash, they were just desperate for custom, lol!

I've only been asked for ID since turning 18. I'm nearly 21 and still get asked quite regularly but was never asked before aged 18. Odd.

Anyway, sorry I didn't answer your question because I haven't got a clue!
  • Options
    Most people say you look older in trousers, agreeing with the general thing of 'don't flash too much flesh'. I think it's just a matter of confidence and what the bouncers are like, really. I've been going out since I was 16 and I look young, but then again I made sure mainly to go to places where there was no bouncers or it was fairly easy to get in until I was close to 18!
  • Options
    Aslong as you're female I'd say at 17 you've got about a 90% chance of getting in everywhere. I've got a mate whose 17 and has never had a problem anywhere because the doormen just don't care.
  • Options
    I think this would be alot better. You wouldn't look as though you're 'trying to hard' yet you'd still look funky etc. Although saying that, if the bouncers by you are like the ones near me, they'll let you in anyway if enough flesh is showing.
  • Options
    Personally, Id say that as long as your not dressed like a slut or a librarian, what you wear isnt gonna make much difference on you gettin into a club or somewhere. Its all down to attitude. If you go up to the door looking stunning but stand their lookin nervous, fidgeting, basically looking like you are worried about gettin in, chances are you'll be ID'd then turned away.
    Dress like everyone else, and just act like its the most natural thing in the world that your goin in to the place. Dont be cocky or anything, just be cool. And even if you do get asked, just laugh about it, not in a stupid or cocky way, but as if its the first time its ever happend to you and your suprised by it...."Oh my god, your serious Mr Bouncer Man, well...i dont have any, i dont normally need it..."

No worries.

Hope it works out.

Peace.
  • Options
    I have to agree that the mini skirt, heels, and dressy top, can make it look like you're a kid trying to look like an adult. It can look like you're trying too hard, and can backfire on you.
    Jeans/trousers maybe a better alternative. Of course, you can easily overdo hair and makeup too. You'll just have to experiment and try different things, which you no doubt have done already.
  • Options
    i look really young, im only recently 18 so obviously now i had ID. wen i went out on my birthday night i had tight trousers, heels and a tight halterneck top which showed lots of cleavage and i got ID-ed. then when i went out last week i wore baggy black trousers, flat shoes and a pretty top which showed no cleavage at all and i didnt get ID-ed.

so what im sayin is, dont look to slutty/like ur trying really hard and you should be fine :)
  • Options
    Normally when i go clubbing, i wear black trousers and a nice top and i always get in, even if i get id'd which isnt very often.

An example of what not to wear, is a tight black skirt which says booty across it, and a white virtually not there top. My mate did this and got herself kb'd. :yeees:
  • Options
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    Oh my god, your serious Mr Bouncer Man, well...i dont have any, i dont normally need it..."

I do that in shops :) This reminded me though, if you're chatty with the bouncers it tends to help, my sister advised me on that one (she was still getting ID'd til she was about 25, hehe). Just saying 'Alright, mate?' when you're going in and leaving, and being smiley helps :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Normally when i go clubbing, i wear black trousers and a nice top and i always get in, even if i get id'd which isnt very often.

How'd you wangle that one then, borrow someone's ID?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I have to agree that the mini skirt, heels, and dressy top, can make it look like you're a kid trying to look like an adult. It can look like you're trying too hard, and can backfire on you.
    Jeans/trousers maybe a better alternative. Of course, you can easily overdo hair and makeup too. You'll just have to experiment and try different things, which you no doubt have done already.

you've done this before haven't you?? :p hehe
  • Options
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    Its all down to attitude. If you go up to the door looking stunning but stand their lookin nervous, fidgeting, basically looking like you are worried about gettin in, chances are you'll be ID'd then turned away.

I agree with that. I tend to rely on my mates being confident enough to get in without being ID'd, and follow them in with a smile. Last time I went out, my friend wasn't really in her usual happy-going-out mood, and got asked for ID, whereas another lass we were with was dead confident and walked straight in with no problems.

It can depend on what time you go as well - I find that you're more likely to get in if you go early, because they want to let people in to fill the place up.

I was well pissed off that night, I wanted a night out. And lots of lovely people were already in, and we were left out in the rain. :crying:
  • Options
    Hiya im nearly 17 and i think that ive got a quite young looking face. Anyways im going out in town on friday as all my friends have said they think i will get in and they've been asking me to go for ages.

What do you think i should wear to have a better chance of getting in?

I was thinkin mini skirt, heels and a dressy top but some people have said that wearing a skirt makes you look like you've put too much effort in (ie your trying to get in).

Please help im really stuck! Any ideas welcome!

Wear somert like a black pair of trouses and a nice top with heels.

Dont wear too much make-up and be confident. Say 'hiya' to the boucers and stuff :)
  • Options
    walk in like you've been in before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lea_uk
    you've done this before haven't you?? :p hehe
    Damnit! I've been rumbled. Ok, so I have a tendancy to overdo the makeup. :(
  • Options