Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

getting rid of smoke smells

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My car reeks of cigarette smoke. I've tried nearly everything so far and nothing seems to remove the smell. I've stopped smoking in my car because its shit and hopefully one day I will sell it and I don't need it smelling. (actually in all honesty I bet the only time I'll get rid of it is when it finally breaks down and there is absoutly nothing the mechanics can do, though those bastards always seem to be able to fix it) Does anybody have any suggestions? And no mentions of febreeze or anything like that because they don't work and they smell just horrid.

Comments

• Options
    Urgh! :yuck: I've bought a couple of cars from smokers. They stank! :yuck: And the headlining was stained yellow.
    I've tried cleaning them with all sorts, but the stench of smoke permeates every single bit of fabric. I just can't get rid of the damn smell. Sometimes you think you've got rid of it, or it's finally gone (and this can be years later), and then suddenly (always seems to be on really hot, or really cold, days) you get a whiff of that stale stench again. :yuck:
  • Options
    By not smoking in the first place :p
  • Options
    Upholstery cleaner?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Urgh! :yuck: I've bought a couple of cars from smokers. They stank! :yuck: And the headlining was stained yellow.
    I've tried cleaning them with all sorts, but the stench of smoke permeates every single bit of fabric. I just can't get rid of the damn smell. Sometimes you think you've got rid of it, or it's finally gone (and this can be years later), and then suddenly (always seems to be on really hot, or really cold, days) you get a whiff of that stale stench again. :yuck:

Yup, but thats your fault for buying it...
  • Options
    smoke pure joints in the car....that will replace the smell :p

(sorry stupid answer)
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    (sorry stupid answer)

For once we agree :p.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    For once we agree :p.

:yes:

this is what happens when happiness replaces lonlelyness :D
  • Options
    :yes:

this is what happens when happiness replaces lonlelyness :D

Now you have lost me, i am neither.
  • Options
    Now you have lost me, i am neither.

just keep smiling.......
  • Options
    just keep smiling.......

I don't feel like it today.
  • Options
    I dont know if they do them where you are Manda but we use Ambi Purr car air freshner things, the one especially for tobacco, they clip onto the vent on the dash.
    Anyone in UK you can buy them at Savers qite cheap and also Superdrug often have them on offer buy one get one free/or half price.
    You can buy cheap alternatives but they are a waste of time, go for the decent one and you will have a nice smelling car :D
  • Options
    I don't feel like it today.

awww poor you *hugs^*
  • Options
    Is it fabric upholstery or leather?
  • Options
    Car air freshner. Fabreeze works really well too :yes: Im not sure wether they would do that where you are though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Car air freshner. Fabreeze works really well too :yes: Im not sure wether they would do that where you are though.

heh you might wanna re read what she wrote.
  • Options
    OK, I'm going to assume it's fabric. If it IS leather then don't do anything to it.

You need baking soda and plenty of it. Sprinkle it over the seats and take the carpets out and do the same to them. Leave them overnight then vacuum it all off. Anywhere you can't do that, e.g. the seat backs, make a mix of one part distilled white vinegar to five parts water in a spray bottle with a very fine spray. A plant mister will do, you can adjust the spray on those. Spray LIGHTLY onto the area you want to deodorize. Allow it to dry. Don't worry about the slight vinegar smell, that will disperse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    OK, I'm going to assume it's fabric. If it IS leather then don't do anything to it.

You need baking soda and plenty of it. Sprinkle it over the seats and take the carpets out and do the same to them. Leave them overnight then vacuum it all off. Anywhere you can't do that, e.g. the seat backs, make a mix of one part distilled white vinegar to five parts water in a spray bottle with a very fine spray. A plant mister will do, you can adjust the spray on those. Spray LIGHTLY onto the area you want to deodorize. Allow it to dry. Don't worry about the slight vinegar smell, that will disperse.

miffy= domestic godess??? :p
  • Options
    miffy= domestic godess??? :p

Ha! Domestic slave morelike.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Yup, but thats your fault for buying it...
    When you need a car in a hurry, and it's cheap (one of the reasons it's cheap being that it stinks), and you can't afford anything that doesn't have a stench like an ashtray), then you buy it.

Government Wealth Warning: Smoking in your car seriously damages it's resale value! :D
  • Options
    Yup, but a car isn't like a bus in that it isn't a public place.

See, even when you've banned yer smoking in public places you still get fucked by the system :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    See, even when you've banned yer smoking in public places you still get fucked by the system :p
    No, not the "system". It's smokers that fuck themselves, in all sorts of ways.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    No, not the "system". It's smokers that fuck themselves, in all sorts of ways.

Yeah, but as an ex smoker i'm alright :p

Sort of...