Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hair braiding with colours...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anybody know roughly the cost of getting your hair braided?

basically I have medium length hair, and I wanted to possibly for my 18th get it braided all over, with red and black colours woven ino it. But I'm not sure how much this would cost...

I live near London, but if anybody knows of any places where it is quite cheap/ cheaper than most other places to get it done, it would be muchly appreciated :)

or any tips in general... thank you!

Comments

• Options
    cant u just buy some wool and do it yourself? woud b alot cheaper
  • Options
    i have a fair few friends who have had this done before. Its quite expensive if you get a proffesional to do it, i think my friend was looking at about £80-£100 to have her whole head done as its rather time consuming...4+ hours or something...as for places to get it done, i dont know about mainstream salon style places as the only proffesional place ive known do braiding was like an "alternative" style salon...have a look in the yellow pages or something.
    My friend learnt how to do it herself in the end, but its really quite hard to do unless you know what your doing.

Its a great look. Hope you find somewhere to get it done.

Peace
  • Options
    cost me £160 for mid-back length. and that was in manchester. i reckon in london you'd be looking £200+ and mine took 7 hours.

but i braided up my friend's hair for her, took loads longer (12 ish hours) but only cost the price of the hair (£25).

if you do decide to have it done professionally, look at salons that deal with afro hair, as they tend to be much better, cheaper and quicker than salons aimed at caucasian hair.
  • Options
    My friend had it done on Camden by people called Em and Bees I think. Cost her at least £100. Apparently it ruins your hair though, so be sure you want it done before getting it done. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum
    Apparently it ruins your hair though, so be sure you want it done before getting it done.

yeah, my hair was definitely not the happiest bunny around after. because of the weight of the hair, and all the pulling on your scalp, it pulls a good lot of your hair out. which is ok if you have pretty thick hair to start with, but if not, be prepared to look like you're going slightly bald for a couple of months after. and a lot of people get sores around their hairline where the baby hairs are pulled tight into the braid.

it's pretty painful to sleep on the first few nights.

and because you can't just wash it the way you can normal hair, and it takes an age to dry, your hair can start to smell a bit, and get dandruffy around the tops. yum.

looks cool on some people though... i couldn't cope with it for longer than a few weeks though....
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    yeah, my hair was definitely not the happiest bunny around after. because of the weight of the hair, and all the pulling on your scalp, it pulls a good lot of your hair out. which is ok if you have pretty thick hair to start with, but if not, be prepared to look like you're going slightly bald for a couple of months after. and a lot of people get sores around their hairline where the baby hairs are pulled tight into the braid.

it's pretty painful to sleep on the first few nights.

and because you can't just wash it the way you can normal hair, and it takes an age to dry, your hair can start to smell a bit, and get dandruffy around the tops. yum.

lol, after reading that, its really offputting, i dont think id ever want it done now!
  • Options
    I had it done in Bangkok, took about 6hours and cost me £15. Not much help I know! Your head feels really heavy afterwards with the extensions and stuff. It did take quite long to dry but I was in such a hot climate it didn't really matter.
    Took most of them out a couple of days later, I didn't like the way it made the top of my head look! Kept loads of the ones underneath though and it looked much much better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum
    My friend had it done on Camden by people called Em and Bees I think. Cost her at least £100. Apparently it ruins your hair though, so be sure you want it done before getting it done. :)
    Haha... I remember that!! We stayed in Camden til like 10 at night coz it took over 9 hours... and then we spotted a guy at Euston that was in Hollyoaks and is now in casualty.. lol.

She had to take it all out a week later cause school didn't like it...:mad:

Ilora x
  • Options
    so many different respones!! hehe, thanks for all the comments guys.

well...my hair's pretty thick, so i *think* i'd be ok... as for price, it's my 18th, so i'm hoping that my mum n dad would be able to pay for that. it's just something i've wanted done for aaages...

hmm well i could go to camden and get it done there I suppose.
    if you do decide to have it done professionally, look at salons that deal with afro hair, as they tend to be much better, cheaper and quicker than salons aimed at caucasian hair.

ok, but i don't know where any are!!! anyone else have any idea??