Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drive in Movies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone ever been to one?

IF so how big was the screen and how did you listen to the sound?

I went to one in Africa years ago and the the screen was HUGE and you listen by parking next to a pole with a speak on it and clipping the speaker to your window, except we'd always end up parking next to one that never worked!!

And if you've never been to one .. would you like to go to one?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went to one in Canada in the snow, I have no idea what it was now I was a bit twisted.

We had to listen to the radio to get the sound.

They are quite good, better than the sticky floor and crying kids in the regular cinema.
    Never been to one, didnt know they actually existed.
    Would be fun parking in the back row though ;). heh
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I went to one in Canada in the snow, I have no idea what it was now I was a bit twisted.

We had to listen to the radio to get the sound.

They are quite good, better than the sticky floor and crying kids in the regular cinema.

Where in Canada did you go?

I think they are so much fun, there always seemed to be a double feature in the one we went to.

People tend to watch the first movie and just mess about and have fun during the 2nd one, leave their cars and hook up with friends.

Were there any shops or stand to buy food?
    It was about an hour outside of Toronto. It was rather odd, it wasnt snowing when we arrived but started quite heavily when we were there.

Yes there was a little hut for drinks, snacks and toilets.
    I went to one in Maine - which is in New England - it was very cool. I think we listened to the sound on the radio I can't rembember exactly what we saw but I think it was one of the American pie movies. There was a second film as well which I think was something scary.

I would highly recomend going to one if you get the chance but I don't think that there are any in the UK.

x
    Has anyone actually found one in the UK?
    Originally posted by solid_L
    Has anyone actually found one in the UK?

I don't think there are any but Im looking into setting one up on a trial basis, I think it would be wicked for the sumer, only problem is finding a big enough screen and the fact it would start very late as it don't just dark until about 10pm these days!!

When I was little and on holiday in Africa some guy used to project Bruce Lee movies onthe side of a building, and people would all just sit outside and watch the movie, it was sooo much fun!!
    I've been to a few in the UK. No, not permenant, but portable. And you listened to them on your radio.
    I've been to them at Santa Pod Raceway, Avon Park Raceway, and Alton Towers.
    One of them was just projected on a wall, but all the others I went to were projected on to a screen suspended from a crane. The screen was about 40-50 ft across. Big enough to see it clearly.
    Most of the time I watched them from my car, but on one occasion a few of us took blankets, cushions, and portable radios, right down to the front, and watched the movie from there. Excellent way to chill out. :thumb:
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I've been to a few in the UK. No, not permenant, but portable. And you listened to them on your radio.
    I've been to them at Santa Pod Raceway, Avon Park Raceway, and Alton Towers.
    One of them was just projected on a wall, but all the others I went to were projected on to a screen suspended from a crane. The screen was about 40-50 ft across. Big enough to see it clearly.
    Most of the time I watched them from my car, but on one occasion a few of us took blankets, cushions, and portable radios, right down to the front, and watched the movie from there. Excellent way to chill out. :thumb:

The biggest inflatable one I could find was only 25 feet wide :(

Bit small I reckon!!
    I don't understand the whole radio thing, do you tune your radio to a certain frequency?:confused:
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    I don't understand the whole radio thing, do you tune your radio to a certain frequency?:confused:
    Bingo! Simple as that. The last time I went they broadcast on Medium Wave, and it was simple to tune in. They put the frequency up for all to see anyway, or publish it in the event programme.

DG. I've never heard of inflatable ones before.
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    DG. I've never heard of inflatable ones before.

Easiest way to put up a temporary screen ..

I knw about the radi thing, but ideally Fm is better cos it's in Stereo and many cars have better audio system then in most people's homes, I know my own car has 7 speakers in it.