Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Subsidies for private industry.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The EU and the U.S give financial assistance to agriculture.

Public (fee-paying) schools register as charities.

Just two examples, I can think of. My point is, should any private business be able to claim a financial help or subsidies from the public sector/government.

I personally feel that businesses on the whole should be able to stand on their own two feet or shut down. Obviously there are going to be some cases where governments can help promote trade in their country but most of what I have seen only benefits the business owner and not the public.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I totally agree.
  • Options
    Private schools registering as charities is a national scandal although certain farming practices (i.e organic farming, diversification, maintainance of public rights of way) should be subsidised if the farmer cannot afford it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater
    Private schools registering as charities is a national scandal although certain farming practices (i.e organic farming, diversification, maintainance of public rights of way) should be subsidised if the farmer cannot afford it.

Why subsidise organic farming? there's a ready made risk-free market for it and as for diversification, shouldn't the farmer go to the bank for a loan like every other businessman has to?

I agree with public rights of way though.
  • Options
    Re: Subsidies for private industry.
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    The EU and the U.S give financial assistance to agriculture.

Public (fee-paying) schools register as charities.

Just two examples, I can think of. My point is, should any private business be able to claim a financial help or subsidies from the public sector/government.

I personally feel that businesses on the whole should be able to stand on their own two feet or shut down. Obviously there are going to be some cases where governments can help promote trade in their country but most of what I have seen only benefits the business owner and not the public.

Any thoughts?

I also agree

Nice debate we have here isnt it? :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Subsidies for private industry.
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I also agree

Nice debate we have here isnt it? :p

oh well i tried...;)
  • Options
    How many private businesses get subsidies? Hardly any at all. If you've been close to a business you'd know how much is taken from the individual(s)concerned running it.

Rent/insurance/business rates apart from doing Govts accounts for them

Farmers are custodians of the landscape , whether deserving I wouldn't know

Public sector, quangos, charities _I'd think that's where money goes - -Guardian Society Jobs page territory again
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    How many private businesses get subsidies? Hardly any at all. If you've been close to a business you'd know how much is taken from the individual(s)concerned running it.

Rent/insurance/business rates apart from doing Govts accounts for them

Farmers are custodians of the landscape , whether deserving I wouldn't know

Public sector, quangos, charities _I'd think that's where money goes - -Guardian Society Jobs page territory again

I've run my own business and keeping accounts is essential for monitoring cashflow and getting business loans. No one does the governments accounts for them but it is necessary to produce them to the taxman so you pay less tax than they ask for.

The idea that farmers are custodians is a quaint one IMO, considering the willingness in the past to rip up hedgerows and use chemicals on their land etc

Even with the reform of the EU CAP they are still getting 30 billion (GBP) a year, the U.S gives $19 billion to its own farmers.

Charitable status for public schools is worth 88 million (GBP).
  • Options
    The idea that farmers are custodians is a quaint one IMO, considering the willingness in the past to rip up hedgerows and use chemicals on their land etc

custodians may be generous

Often they are owners of the land so some negotiation with them re landscape is inevitable

Like The Archers, Countryside File etc I can't get v. interested in agriculture even if they were bleeding us dry via CAP
  • Options
    Taxpayers money should not be being used to line the pockets of bosses. If the business isn't doing so well, bosses should take a paycut rather than scrounging off taxpayers.
  • Options
    If a business cannot sustain itself then the state should not subsidise it. Not under the wonderful capitalist system businesses praise so highly anyway.

Can't have it both ways I'm afraid.