Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Schools and the future

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think schools should prepare you better for life in the big bad world? For example I honestly think I would have done way better in my interview if I was given tips and had a fake interview at school. What do you guys think? Also how do you think schools could prepare you better for when you do leave?

Comments

• Options
    My school did prepare us well, and it wasn't exactly a fancy school it just had very good leadership and a good work ethic. In guidance lessons we went over interview techniques and in our final year we all had interviews with senior members of staff about our future plans and were given tips and information on careers etc. We also had at least two career guidance talks each.

In the sixth form when we were preparing for university interviews etc we had business men and women from the local community come in and conduct mock interviews with us and they gave us feedback and encouragement.

We also had practical lessons as part of Guidance For Life lessons in things like wiring a plug, washing clothes and basic cooking, this was all when we were 15/16 years old. We also had quite good sex education that wasn't part of biology lessons. In biology we learnt about the biological aspect of sex etc but in Guidance lessons we learnt about the emotional aspect of relationships. We always had guest speakers and hands on activities.

I think all schools should have Guidance for Life lessons to be honest, they were really helpful looking back. At the time you might s****** at a guest speaker telling you how to put a condom on a banana but when you look back the school had the best of intentions and I'm sure we all learnt quite a lot.

Edit: I cannot believe that the word sn igger has been starred out, lol!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    s******

:lol:
  • Options
    I think they do need to be more in the real world.

The missus' kid sister was having PSE lessons, teaching about the cost of things. She had to spend £500/month on food in bher budget, and she was someone living by herself.

Me and the missus together don't spend half that on food.

And then there's the syllabus in Home Economics- instead of teaching children how to cook a healthy quick meal, and make sure the veg was ready at the same time as the meat, they are taught how to plan a meal for some vegetarian vegan diabetic, or something equally stupid. Which is all very noble and good, but the basics need to be taught first. It's all well and good learning how to cook diabetic chocolate cake, but not if it is at the expense of knowing how to cook broccoli and a chicken thigh.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    That should have been £500 a month on food, not £3500 a month on food :p

:no:
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    And then there's the syllabus in Home Economics- instead of teaching children how to cook a healthy quick meal, and make sure the veg was ready at the same time as the meat, they are taught how to plan a meal for some vegetarian vegan diabetic, or something equally stupid. Which is all very noble and good, but the basics need to be taught first. It's all well and good learning how to cook diabetic chocolate cake, but not if it is at the expense of knowing how to cook broccoli and a chicken thigh.
    It is actually called food technology and it is called that for a reason! You are supposed to be taught the basics from years 7-9 and only in years 10 & 11 when you're allowed the choice of which design technology course to follow are you supposed to do what you have described.

The whole point is to appreciate the amount of design that goes into a food product. The basics should have been taught in the first years of secondary school because not all pupils will pick food technology to study to GCSE level.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think that basic school did a lot to teach us about general things.
    Our religion teacher never taught us too much religion, but rather focused on ethics and moral.
    Then in kitchen-class (don't know what you call it) we learnt to quite a lot of things. And I know that my brother still follows a lot of the recipes he got taught.
    In math we went through the system used when giving different parties mandates for the parliament (thank god we did, as it came up in my exam and I knew how to answer it then).
    Then we had the Tampax woman coming in two or three times explaining about periods, tampons, and sex.

Also it is a very integrated part of eduction to make group work and presentations.

I think they taught us valuable basics.
    But in the end it is the parents respnosobility to teach their kids how to function, while school will give the tools.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I actually took food for gcse - I had to design a diabetic dessert. Useful :p
    Yeah, I had to design something for a vegan. I did find it pretty useful actually because in the process I had to cook several different dishes and was assessed on different cooking skills which has actually helped me be a really great (A* standard ;) ) cook!

I do agree with Jacq. though about parental responsibility. I think parents often rely too heavily on schools to teach their children the basics. Parents should be there to back up what children learn at school.

I do think I was very very lucky in that I went to an excellent school with excellent staff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    It is actually called food technology and it is called that for a reason!

Yeah, but it is still bollocks.

Obesity rates in this country, and sky-high sales of takeaway and microwave food show this.

Useful, but only after the basics have been taught.

There is parental responsibility, at my school there was never any home ec (or poncey name studies), I learned from mum.

But that doesn't stop the school education being shit.
  • Options
    My school has not given us any sort of 'life lessons' There is no cooking program and the last time i remember having Sex Ed was in year 9, it wasnt very good either. I have had to learn certain things off female friends.

Yes i went to an all boys school which might explain a few things. But basically I am off to uni in October and i dont know how to cope that much. We have had a few talks on finances but thats it.
  • Options
    I think it is awfull. In our guidance lessons we hardly did anything. When I was in 5th year our guidance teacher was never their to even teach us anything.

I think schools should teach things like how to handle your money and how to be sensible with it which might help stop people getting in debt/or so much debt.

They should teach you interviewing skills

How to cook sensible heathly meals which are easy to make.

They should teach your simple things like how to wire a plug or how to swew (sp) a hole in a piece of clothing which might be helpfull.
  • Options
    Re: Schools and the future
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    Do you think schools should prepare you better for life in the big bad world? For example I honestly think I would have done way better in my interview if I was given tips and had a fake interview at school. What do you guys think? Also how do you think schools could prepare you better for when you do leave?

Our school prepared us very well. If you wanted go into a job you picked up a mock 'job application form' and a mock job paper and if you wanted to go to uni you looked through prospectusses and filled a mock 'UCAS form'

People from local businesses, colleges, universitys etc were asked to volunteer and act as a real interviewer, they would treat it as real, and you got a letter saying whether you were accepted or not.

This was all compulsary it really helped with filling out forms etc. We had 'Careers' with connexions during PSHE i feel we were prepared well.
  • Options
    I'd have liked to have been taught about buying a house.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I think it is awfull. In our guidance lessons we hardly did anything. When I was in 5th year our guidance teacher was never their to even teach us anything.

I think schools should teach things like how to handle your money and how to be sensible with it which might help stop people getting in debt/or so much debt.

They should teach you interviewing skills

How to cook sensible heathly meals which are easy to make.

They should teach your simple things like how to wire a plug or how to swew (sp) a hole in a piece of clothing which might be helpfull.

well then thats a problem with your school, not schools in general. I teach my children (5 yr olds) in my class how to cook, grate, chop, mix, knead and many more we start early these days, however with the legislation many teachers refuse to teach food that involves heat, because the 'cotton woll kids may burn themselves'

Secondary schools however do not have so much trouble with this so they can teach what they like. The national literacy strategy and national numeracy strategy are the main focus in schools, however during tutor periods in my school these skills are taught. In fairness wiring a plug should be taught in Physics lessons, it usually is.

Schools need to teach people how to add, read and spell! before they can do other things, and people would soon moan if the day was increased to fit all this in. I do feel however that life skills should be the parents job, i teach my brownies "how to light a candle" "how to address an envelope" and "how to sew a button" at the time we commented on how the parents clearly had not shown their child these things. People are putting more and more onto the teacher, in replacement of a parent but taking our rights to discipline them, we cannot shout or restrain them without fearing for our job.

I think parents should do a little more to support their kids, mine did as did many others. My parents supported my homeworkand learning throughout.
  • Options
    Schools also cannot teach common sense!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I'd have liked to have been taught about buying a house.

While it is relevant, I do understand why it isn't taught.
  • Options
    I know, there's more important things to learn. I'm just galled at the entire prospect of sorting a mortgage out and having to pay for someone to help.
  • Options
    our pshe lessons were different from everyone elses in the school. (our class i mean)

instead of, like everyone else, putting a condom on a banana, we were given those baby dolls that cry at random times and you have to do the right thing to stop it crying. i never knew one weekend could be so long.
    i think up until then, my boyfriend and i were considering sleeping together, after that i was like 'i don't give a crap no effin way am i ever putting my self at risk of having a real one, a fake one's bad enough'.
    so that was a good sex ed lesson!

as for other stuff, the school's pretty good at, the helped us fill in our college applications etc.
    never did anything in food lessons as i found them utterly boring
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I know, there's more important things to learn. I'm just galled at the entire prospect of sorting a mortgage out and having to pay for someone to help.

Doesn't the bank talk through diffferent options for free?
  • Options
    My sister had one of those doll things. I thought that is a good idea as it might help stop teenagers getting pregnant when they realise how hard it is.