Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Physcology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im planing on doing Physcology A-Level next year, along with sociology, Healt&Social care and r.e. Does anyone do Physcology, and if so what do/did you think of it? Ive been told it can be quite hard :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i do A-Level psychology. Got the A2 exam next friday (aaaaaaaah)
    I didnt find psychology particularly hard for the AS year, its all about learning detailed case studies really. And that might sound boring, but its not! I am doing the OCR syllabus and all the content for both years is very interesting. As long as you find it interesting, you wont find it hard
    I just did the AS course on Edexcel (apparantly not many colleges/sixth forms do the Edexcel syllabus, though).

I found it to be completely different to how I expected. You know on TV when you see psychologists analysing behaviour and stuff and it looks really interesting? None of that. :( Everyone else I know who does psychology (and that's a lot) has said that it's completely different to what they expected.

It's hard to say if it's difficult or not because it really depends on how your brain works. For my course, there were six areas that you study, and each of those can be split into six (I think) more areas. If you have a good memory for facts then you shouldn't have a problem, but there is a huge amount of material that you have to remember.

I'm far better at writing essays and arguing for or against points, so I didn't find it that easy to remember the material - on the other hand, the questions are short so if you don't know the answer to one, you can just guess it/move on, whereas if it's essay questions you obviously can't.

But like GWST said, I found that the course content itself was interesting in parts, but in general the course was quite boring. I'm hoping the A2 course is better, but from what I've heard it isn't. :(

Can you find out what syllabus you'll be studying? I imagine with psychology it differs a lot between exam boards, so you might be able to find out more relevant information if you know which exam board you'll be on. :)
    Re: Physcology
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Im planing on doing Physcology A-Level next year, along with sociology, Healt&Social care and r.e. Does anyone do Physcology, and if so what do/did you think of it? Ive been told it can be quite hard :(

Hasn't anyone told you that's too much?! I'm guessing H&S Care is AVCE and the others AS....an AVCE is equivalent to doing 2 AS level courses...so you'll be doing 5 AS's.

I did R.E. at GCSE, and did well. However I found it very different to GCSE. I know it depends on the college, but you might want to check the exact criteria. And yes, pyschology is quite hard. I don't do it, but I know a lot of people who have. At my college they ask for maths at C or above, as with english.
    Re: Re: Physcology
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Hasn't anyone told you that's too much?! I'm guessing H&S Care is AVCE and the others AS....an AVCE is equivalent to doing 2 AS level courses...so you'll be doing 5 AS's.

Im stayin at at the 6th form at my school, they know the problems ive had with being ill etc so they are lettin me back on with 6 c's doesnt matter what in. We take 4 A-Levels at as and then drop on and do 3 A-levels.
    Re: Re: Re: Physcology
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Im stayin at at the 6th form at my school, they know the problems ive had with being ill etc so they are lettin me back on with 6 c's doesnt matter what in. We take 4 A-Levels at as and then drop on and do 3 A-levels.

I'm assuming AVCE is counted as 2 AS levels all over the UK though? I have the amount of lessons for it that I'd have if I took 2 subjects.

Edited to say, you might find that your 6th form's syllabus for h&s care includes a unit which is psychology based, don't know whether that's of any interest.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    When I did A level Psychology, I have to say that it was much more boring than I expected.

same.

i actually dropped it after 3 months cause the lessons were making me want to stick pencils up my nose and slam my head down on the desk just to make it stop.

but that was like 7 years ago, when we had the AEB and none of this AS/A2 business. times have probably moved on.
    I took the A-Level in psychology and although bits of it were boring most of the time i found that my course was what i made it - ie if i wanted to make it interesting then i could. mind you it is a lot of learning and if you have a crappy boring teacher then i can imagine it drivin you mad. i was lucky and had an ex uni lecturer who's an amazing teacher and good at interesting/funny stories to help you remember things. good luck with what ever you chose, The Sillystring
    Re: Re: Physcology

At my school we had to do five ASs.

The workload's ok if you get a good mix of coursework based and exam based subjects. Otherwise you end up with either too much coursework or too many exams! I take it the AVCE has a lot of coursework, and I know psychology does. I assume sociology and r.e. will have a fair amount too.

Obviously if you don't mind doing coursework (it does put you in a really good position for exams if you work hard during the year) then that's fine, but if not maybe you ought to drop one of your ASs or drop the AVCE and take a different, non-coursework based AS.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Physcology
    I'm assuming AVCE is counted as 2 AS levels all over the UK though?
    You can do health and social care as an ordinary AS I think.
    I was talking to my mate today and she said if you do H&SC then you only do 2 A-Levels along side it :)
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Physcology
    Originally posted by piccolo
    You can do health and social care as an ordinary AS I think.

Oh right, not sure how that'd work. I think there's generally 12 units which equals 2 a-levels and then 6 units (which i'm doing) which equals 1 a-level.
    ive done 3 years of psychology at university and im not exactly its biggest fan. I thought it would involve doing experiments and having hands on experience with things that i can directly relate to my life...however, it actually involves being lectured at about parts of the brain and the bits of the eye. If i wanted to do biology, i bloody would have (im sure that is the failing of the particular university, not the subject, though)

:end of rant:

sorry :p
    I have my A2 psychology exam on friday, and I'm dreading it.

AS Psych is basically a memory test - you have to learn 20 studies and do a piece of shit cwk that has to be perfectly ethically sound - which means it's gonna be shite and meaningless.

A2 psychology we do Health psych and criminal psych - no, it's not a good as it sounds. It's basically learning 64 Studies (yes, I did say SIXTY FOUR STUDIES) in less than a year and then they ask you to regurgitate that in a 2 hour exam. It's a fucking mind job. I hate it.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's fucking shite. I loathe it. I deteste it.

Ilora x
    lol you seem to have a hatred with a passion there Ilora!! :)
    bad luck with the c/w thing - im sure that depends on the teacher a lot as well. i did my c/w on the self concept and had people make 10 statements about themselves and evaluated the answers into categories to then compare the answers given at adolescent and adult ages...was fascinating to see the results. then again i had a 'proper' psychologist as a teacher and she had loads of resources for me to borrow ;)
    The psychology string
    It wasn't the teacher that sucked *actually yes it was - comin from someone who got banned from having a certain pysch teacher lol* it was the examiners - anything remotely unethical or ambiguous, was sent back and had to be amended. There were too many restrictions on what was not allowed, for anything to actually be interesting. I ended up looking at the bloody difference between risk taking in males and females. *crossing the road!!!* for the love of fucks sake!!!

It all sucked cock in my opinion.

Ilora x
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I ended up looking at the bloody difference between risk taking in males and females. *crossing the road!!!* for the love of fucks sake!!!

It all sucked cock in my opinion.

Ilora x

Thousands of people across the world die every year crossing the road, my own Grand Father who I never met was killed when he was hit by a Motor Bike rider, maybe if you studied harder and moaned less you'd find a way to save a few lives.
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Thousands of people across the world die every year crossing the road, my own Grand Father who I never met was killed when he was hit by a Motor Bike rider, maybe if you studied harder and moaned less you'd find a way to save a few lives.

thats really sad about your Grandfather, but that really isnt what psychology is about. No matter how hard you study risk taking in males and females you will still not be able to save any lives. If you want to do that, you would be better becoming a paramedic or an MP and enforce more road safety laws.
    Iv been doin AS psychology this year
    my course entailed 3 modules, each made up of 2 different topics.
    1-memory+attachment
    2-abnormality+stress
    3-social psychology+research methods

i had no cw+enjoyed the subj.i think it depends on the course u do+how interesting+gd ur teacher is as to whether ur gona enjoy.

have to do cw next yr :( but im quite lookin 4ward to learning about dreams
    fun, fun, fun! think i'll get the cw 2moro :s