Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How Many Cv's Did You Last Send Out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a new contract to keep me busy for a few months so just emailing a copy of my Cv in word format to various IT Agencies around the country.

Just wondering how many CV's people have sent out before getting a response.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Completely off topic but do you know any good IT agencies please?

Also last time i gave out CV's to retail shops i gave out 7 and got 2 replies. One after 3 weeks and the other after 2 months.
    I have sent out 10 and only had 1 reply.
    Email shots for jobs doesnt in my experience work very well.

Its actually better to try and find jobs that have application forms. Then take the time to fill them in properly.

Its easy to ignore a CV when you get 100's emailed to you, but most jobs will only get a handful of application forms so you stand a better chance.

Just my thoughts.
    Even when I have filled out an application form I rarely get a reply which I think is a bit rude.
    I hate standardised applications forms they take forever to fill out and ask for the same info as onmy Cv, so what's the point??

err... to answer the top question most IT agencies aren't gonna touch a 17 year old for jobs, you're not even old enough to sign a contract with them.

BTW I got back about 100 emails replies (mostly automated) and about 6 phones calls from agencies today .. I did however send out 1,644 CV's last night. So that's about a 0.4% response rate.
    Bloody hell that is loads!!! Good that you are getting reponses though.
    Im 18 in a week so i can apply then cant i?
    whooooo if i was HR i would be so tempted to hit the delete all button!
    I sent out five and got 1 rejection letter back, the rest havent even bothered writing back.

Bopz
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Im 18 in a week so i can apply then cant i?

You can apply but good luck to you, next thing you need is experience.

I'd recommend you start with a normal temping agency and try out lots of different roles.

What kind of IT work do you want to do?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    You can apply but good luck to you, next thing you need is experience.

I'd recommend you start with a normal temping agency and try out lots of different roles.

What kind of IT work do you want to do?

Id like to get into any part of IT really, one that will give me some temporary experience. My main interest is software development or testing or some sort of school technition.
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Id like to get into any part of IT really, one that will give me some temporary experience. My main interest is software development or testing or some sort of school technition.

Try volunteering your IT skills for a charity, I met a guy that did this and he gets lots of side business from recommendations through that charity work
    Hmm sounds like a good idea, i dont know any charities around here that does IT volunteering :(

Unless i do volunteering at a school or something?
    How many CVs do you receive!?!

The thing is, that I'm likely to have 100 CVs sitting in my inbox when I turn my pc on in the morning - all each CV can warrant is a quick glance through, and much as I might like to reply personally to every email, it's just not possible. You've got to make your CV stand out from the crowd..
    Almost 20, i had 4 replys, not good. I think the companies are a bit rude for not replying, only one sent a letter back saying they hadnt any jobs and thankyou for the interest etc and the others were interviews. I went for an interview at woolworths over 5weeks ago and they havent let me know anything, which is bad. It doesnt matter as i have a job, but still.