Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Am I crazy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've worked at River Island for nearly 3 years and am hoping to return this summer. But I reckon I can probably only get 20-30 hours a week from them, which isn't enough for me. I don't wanna leave there so I'm thinking of getting a morning job (7-11am weekdays) and then doing afternoon shifts from 12 and weekends at RI. All summer. Am I nuts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm gonna go with yes.

you'd be better off trying to get a job in a call centre or something similar, which will pay loads better than retail, thus lessening the hours you need to work for the same amount of money, and thus giving you more time to actually enjoy a summer.

places like O2, G E Capital, British Gas are always crying out for call centre and telesales staff, and can pay up to £8 an hour, depending on the horribleness of the job you're doing.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i'm gonna go with yes.

you'd be better off trying to get a job in a call centre or something similar, which will pay loads better than retail, thus lessening the hours you need to work for the same amount of money, and thus giving you more time to actually enjoy a summer.

places like O2, G E Capital, British Gas are always crying out for call centre and telesales staff, and can pay up to £8 an hour, depending on the horribleness of the job you're doing.

Yeah but I can't do a job I hate. And I hate telesales (and believe me, thats all there is where I live). And I still wanna work at RI. So it has to be something I can fit in before/after work. The other solution is bar work but I'd rather get up early...
    I'd rather get up early...

I'm guessing your a student, and you want to get up early WTF!

Bopz is very dissapointed in you.........
    Not all students are layabouts. I work damn hard for what I get in this life. I work full time every vacation, and do additional work such as babysitting on top of that to pay the rent. I'm not one to scrounge off "mummy and daddy". Sure, they'd pay my way if I asked. It's not as if we're badly off. It's just some of us have pride.
    fair enough.

supermarkets usually have loads of early morning shifts, and they pay better than clothing retail too.

if you're still all about the clothes, a lot of places have stock replenishment workers who do early shifts...
    I have so much respect for you right now Kath, sticking up for us students well done :D
    fair enough.

supermarkets usually have loads of early morning shifts, and they pay better than clothing retail too.

if you're still all about the clothes, a lot of places have stock replenishment workers who do early shifts...

Yeah, I may well try that. I don't mind getting up at like 5am or something...cheers. Tesco here I come!
    Go for it..

I used to work 9-5 in the office then 6-12 in my local pub..

I also did 8-4 or 9-5 in my current job.. then go home and deliver for my local Indian 6-12 !

Of course, it was always later than 12 :naughty:
    Not all students are layabouts. I work damn hard for what I get in this life. I work full time every vacation, and do additional work such as babysitting on top of that to pay the rent. I'm not one to scrounge off "mummy and daddy". Sure, they'd pay my way if I asked. It's not as if we're badly off. It's just some of us have pride.

I try my hardest to work and pay my own way, I am working all summer and I work 2 out of three weeks during the recess. I prefer it that way, I don't like having to rely at all on my parents.

I don't mind/care if people live of their parents, it's there choice and i'm sure if i have a kid id prefere them to live off me than have to work all hours in the day. Wudn't spoil the kid(s) though.

My uni seems to have a lot of people whos parents pay their tution fees and residence costs leaving £3000 + for easy living and some of them get an allowence aswell. But dosen't bother me at all.

My dad gives me £50 a month and my mum used to give me £100 but I stopped her doing that as I don't like taking money off my mum at all.

Bopz
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    I try my hardest to work and pay my own way, I am working all summer and I work 2 out of three weeks during the recess. I prefer it that way, I don't like having to rely at all on my parents.

I don't mind/care if people live of their parents, it's there choice and i'm sure if i have a kid id prefere them to live off me than have to work all hours in the day. Wudn't spoil the kid(s) though.

My uni seems to have a lot of people whos parents pay their tution fees and residence costs leaving £3000 + for easy living and some of them get an allowence aswell. But dosen't bother me at all.

My dad gives me £50 a month and my mum used to give me £100 but I stopped her doing that as I don't like taking money off my mum at all.

Bopz

Respect for the independance, if i went uni i would be the same. Iv just left college and i have 2 jobs and dont really have much time to myself. And im happy with working all the hours.
    I take money from my parents for food, because my loan barely covers my self-catering accommodation, and I have to pay full fees. BUT - there is a running tally of how much I've taken, and I pay it back as much as I can by working in the holidays. It'll all be paid back eventually.
    you could always ask for a raise from your first job. I don't think you are crazy. I know many people who do or have worked more than one part time job. They can do it with no problem I don't see why you couldn't. Its just about making sure your schedules don't get caught up in eachother and that you have enough time to sleep.
    Originally posted by my_name
    you could always ask for a raise from your first job. I don't think you are crazy. I know many people who do or have worked more than one part time job. They can do it with no problem I don't see why you couldn't. Its just about making sure your schedules don't get caught up in eachother and that you have enough time to sleep.

I work for a large national chain - they're not gonna give one person a pay rise, and it's unrealisitc to expect them to promote me just for the summer. There are other people who are there all year round who I would promote before me, even though I've been there longer - I just come back at holidays.
    I got a payrise whilst I was at uni. Anything is possible if your valuble to them which you probably are as youve been there quite a while.

Bopz
    i'm gonna go with yes.

I was spoeaking to a guy from New Zealand who started at a call centre at £6 per hour, a few weeks later he was on £27 an hour with overtime .. this was about 2 years ago in the dot com boom days.