Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

in financial disaster- need help on some ways to get money for uni this year!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, basically, here's my situation.

My mum and dad split up last september...as a result, I am living with my dad, who doesn't earn much at all, and both my mum and dad have hardly any money as a result of the split, cos mum has to now pay for her new house etc etc.

I have a savings account, which im sposed2 have £500 in, for uni, but i actually only have £182 cos i kept spending it. so i'm sorta in debt with myself... i have to find that 300 before september.

i get paid bout 300 a month from my work...but until august 100 of that needs2go into savings each month for my holiday. And i can't really live on less than 150 a month... Also my work are gonna chuck all us uni students out in july.

that leaves me with july-september to find a) the £300 to put back into my savings account. b) as much extra money as i can get for uni, cos my parents won't be able 2 pay for my accomodation or anything..

does anyone have any ideas of temporary work/ things I could do to earn money in that short space of time?? im desperate :(

[but no, not prostitution...:rolleyes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Get a better job that pays more and has more hours. Try an agency yes the work might be rubbish but you'll get the money you need.
  • Options
    Get a job and/or loan.
  • Options
    Do a car boot sale or sell some stuff on eBay... that helped me loads when I was strapped for cash!

You could also ask if there are any extra hours available at work over the summer or offer babysitting services for local children.

You could also stop spending as much money once you do get paid. As a self confessed shopaholic this is one thing I would advise others to do but never in a million years be able to do myself! One night out can cost as much as £40 (that may seem little to some people but I don't drink much alcohol) so cut back on that kind of spending perhaps?
  • Options
    2nd job. Bar work is always useful. Stop spending - no one NEEDS £150 a month. If your dad doesn't earn much either, you'll probably get £4000 loan + fees paid for you + a hardship loan.
  • Options
    i know, i know...i shouldn't spend so much! i have too much of a social life lol. but it's not like i buy big things, it just sorta...goes!

they're good ideas tho...i wanna maybe try an agency...maybe a temp agency?? just don't know where to find one....

am currently wondering what i could sell on ebay...hmmm.... i have lots of beanie babies lol.
  • Options
    even having that £182 is better than quite a few people will have! most people are in the same situation at uni, and a lot will go with no money whatsoever.
  • Options
    In most reasonable sized towns there are Temp agencies and most of the time they have crap jobs you can do.

If you are desperate for money doing drving jobs can actually pay a bit better than crap office work if your going to be very lowly. Of course driving for a living is dire work, but, well its only short term and you need the money.
  • Options
    your in financial disaster and your paying money for a holiday... well isn't it a bit of a wrong time to go on holiday or is that just me???

Maybe you could cancel or cut down on the money you put into the savings for that... even still you earn 300amonth.. a 100for your hols or say 75 and you got 75for your uni.. Should only take a matter of weeks to get 300quid.. about 4weeks:) cut down on spending going out and start buying tesco value food and start living cheaply.. I'm sure you can find it.. not a large amount to find..

Also for jobs go to a job agencie.. you got any qualifications or refrences you could always look in the personals for a job.. Ok the pay will be uber shit but it's a start.

Good luck.
  • Options
    there's no reason she should cancel her holiday - everyone needs to have fun, and it's probably the last one she'll be able to afford for a while!
  • Options
    Ok yeah but surely she could cut the amount she saves for a bit if it's that urgent..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Ok yeah but surely she could cut the amount she saves for a bit if it's that urgent..

yeh i see your point, but from her point of view she might've booked her holiday before she realised she needed more money or her parents weren't going to be well off. if she cancels her holiday, she'll be letting people down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    yeh i see your point, but from her point of view she might've booked her holiday before she realised she needed more money or her parents weren't going to be well off. if she cancels her holiday, she'll be letting people down.

Yeah I see.. Well I guess it isn't to much money.. When do you need it by? Surely you have a stereo/Tv you could flog off for £100 or something.. It doesn't seem to be uber bad :)

Well good luck,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Yeah I see.. Well I guess it isn't to much money.. When do you need it by? Surely you have a stereo/Tv you could flog off for £100 or something.. It doesn't seem to be uber bad :)

Well good luck,

why would someone want to buy a second hand tv when you can get a decent new one for below that price. it's unlikely she'd make much, and would probably be better in the long run to keep her things as it'd be more expensive to replace them.
  • Options
    yeah well the holiday i booked last year with my 2 mates, its the last one we can go on before we go to uni, so i cant cancel it!!

ive been lookin around, my mate might be able2get me a summer job looking after disabled kids, which ive done previously, so that wud be really cool.

selling my tv?? hmm.... lol.

ebay, here i come...
  • Options
    there are generally always factory jobs going - try looking in your local paper. okay, so it's most likely to be rubbish work, and will be very tedious but it's money.
  • Options
    Become a whore

Either that or talk to someone in your university about your money troubles, there are a lot of grants etc you can apply for.