Home Student Life & Education

Living the cliche

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
The thread below about freshers events got me thinking about this, I am sure out of thousands of students going to any given university I am not alone here.... But for people who are already there, what percentage of people would you say are cliched 'get pissed badly and often' type people? Thing is I am not really like that at all, and at the risk of sounding like an old man at the age of 19 (!) I usually tend to prefer doing more constructive things with my time. I am hoping there will be plenty of like-minded people there who are not so into the drinking culture and all that, I'm sure there will be, but as the time comes I'm getting a bit worried I'll have two options- either join in with everyone else or be a loner! Probably just me being paranoid... I'm more into sport, music, talking (a dying art!) , general socialising and hanging out with mates, rather than getting battered and/or acting like a tit.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Living the cliche
    Originally posted by Museman
    But for people who are already there, what percentage of people would you say are cliched 'get pissed badly and often' type people?

    i'd say 95%, depending on which course you do. of the remaining 5%, 4% still get pissed, they just can't afford to do it badly or often.

    of all the people i have met in my uni life, only one other didn't drink, and that was for medical reasons.

    when i tell people i'm teetotal and also a student, people look at me like this :eek2: then they try to spike my drink, which is nice of them.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    None of my friends get pissed very badly and often. I know quite a few people who don't even drink. Yes, I drink but not once at Uni have I been so drunk I've had a hangover - not even in Freshers week. So don't worry about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im a student and dont drink and yes im in the minority, all my friends drink but they never drink too muc as so they cant stand up etc. I know a large group of lads who drink, throw up and then drink some more though and they are very cliche :(
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Students who drink all the time, do stupid things like run around naked, have noisy parties in halls all the time, never go to lectures, and brag about how drunk they were, piss me off. They seem immature to me and people think all student are like that.

    I'm a student, yes, sometimes I go out, but not all the time, and I don't see any joy in getting so drunk I can't remember what happened. When I'm paying more than £1000 a year in fees I want to get my moneys worth by actually being in a fit state to attend classes.

    I suppose for some people, university is their first taste of freedom. I've done all that stupid drunken stuff and living on my own already.

    Some people think I'm odd because I'm not interested in going on bar crawls and a lot of stuff like freshers week is really aimed at getting people drunk. I think that's a crap message to send out to people.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I agree with what you folks are saying, I'm sure that some of you get funny looks when you say you don't drink or whatever. I find it quite sad that people see the fact someone is teetotal as a indictment on them as a person. The paradox of it all is that loads of people think they are 'well 'ard' for getting hammered and all that, but they wanna try being the one who turns round in a social situation and tells everyone they don't drink- much easier to blend in and be a sheep than it is to be different!

    Hopefully I'll meet some people who are more rounded individuals, out of 6000 or so of the new intake, there is bound to be. I hope so anyway!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't be doing with people who get as pissed as a fart every weekend and think it's 'normal'. I prefer to go out a few times a month and just get tipsy; I find I have more fun than if I'm falling over and making a complete tit out of myself. Saying that though, I'm no party pooper. :razz:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't believe the steroetypes - yeah some students drink all the time and make complete idiots of themselves, though there are an equally large number who don't drink or go out much - you just don't hear about them.

    I do think it's true that a lot of unis seem to organise events that seem to consist largely of drinking. At my university all sports nights and comedy nights seem take place in the bars and there are only a few events such as film nights or gaming lans where there is no drinking at all.

    Whatever type of person you are there will be someone similar to you though, and if you don't drink you will still have a great time so don't worry too much about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Living the cliche
    Originally posted by Museman
    The thread below about freshers events got me thinking about this, I am sure out of thousands of students going to any given university I am not alone here.... But for people who are already there, what percentage of people would you say are cliched 'get pissed badly and often' type people? Thing is I am not really like that at all, and at the risk of sounding like an old man at the age of 19 (!) I usually tend to prefer doing more constructive things with my time. I am hoping there will be plenty of like-minded people there who are not so into the drinking culture and all that, I'm sure there will be, but as the time comes I'm getting a bit worried I'll have two options- either join in with everyone else or be a loner! Probably just me being paranoid... I'm more into sport, music, talking (a dying art!) , general socialising and hanging out with mates, rather than getting battered and/or acting like a tit.

    Out of the fifteen people in my block this year, six of them would go out and get really really drunk. But I think if they didn't go out together but instead with people who didn't drink so much, then they wouldn't get too drunk.

    I don't drink at all (completely out of choice) and some people apologise to me as if it's ruining my life...! I have been told by third years however that I'm 'lucky' because I don't spend much when I go out and I don't have to drink to have a good time. I feel a little insulted by the use of 'lucky' - it's my choice not to drink and it's hard sometimes when a lot of people expect you to - but it's nice that some people realise that being teetotal can be a good thing :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I agree people can be really patronising when you tell them you don't, as if they feel sorry for you or something, despite the fact that as you say you are doing it out of choice! Quite strange really. Some people also ask 'why not?' in an incredulous manner as if to say 'how can you possibly enjoy life without alcohol?'. I suppose people get kicks in different ways.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Museman
    Yeah I agree people can be really patronising when you tell them you don't, as if they feel sorry for you or something, despite the fact that as you say you are doing it out of choice! Quite strange really. Some people also ask 'why not?' in an incredulous manner as if to say 'how can you possibly enjoy life without alcohol?'. I suppose people get kicks in different ways.

    :yes:

    then, if you are in a bar/pub/club, their next comment tends to be: so what are you doing here then?

    um, enjoying myself with my friends. it's just that i don't have to be intoxicated to enjoy their company, as they are entertaining enough.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :yes:

    then, if you are in a bar/pub/club, their next comment tends to be: so what are you doing here then?

    um, enjoying myself with my friends. it's just that i don't have to be intoxicated to enjoy their company, as they are entertaining enough.

    Yup! I have only ever come across a couple of people who admitted to being jealous that I can have a laugh without drinking, however I suspect there are a lot more who probably are but have egos which won't let them admit it. Anyway I think it's cool that there are people around who are the same, nice to know...... Dare to be different!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I get some strange looks when I say I dont drink or they pester me to know why. I dont really understand why people need to get drunk to have fun, surely its better to not be drunk but tipsy instead if you are going to drink that is. They all pay for it in the morning though when im sat there with the only problem of being tired not about to throw up at the site of anything!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    I don't drink either, but I haven't really said it to anyone yet (it wasn't brought up) so I wouldn't know what their reaction could be. It's completely my choice as well.
    I don't think less of people who drink, but what disgusts me is some people I've heard talking, who were actually proud of having been drunk. Personally I wouldn't want to degrade myself like that.
Sign In or Register to comment.