Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Food Rules

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So...
I am supposed to cut down on carbs...
To seperate carbs from proteins and vice versa...
Seperate green vegetables from red ones...

Any more?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just eat what I want when I'm hungry.
    ive been thinking about this and i cant think of any food rules that id have..so i dont think i have any
    I think just having a good balance of foods from all the groups is healthy - too many rules and eating becomes a boring chore!
    I agree, eat what you like but in moderation and eat loads of fruit and veg and drink plenty of water and your sorted.
    eat protein after a meal
    don't eat after 8 o clock pm
    drink water, drink water drink water!
    Seperate red veg from green?! What?

There really arent any set rules, just try and eat as many different types of fruit and veg as possible each day and dont eat too much fat. That and exercise.

As for downing massive amounts of water. This isnt actually a wise idea, you can end up washing yourself out, the body needs various salts and minerals. Your urine should a little colour to it, if its pure clear then maybe you should cut down on the water a bit.
    I thought you weren't allowed to eat after 7 pm?:confused:
    What? Who said that, I had a bagel last night at 10pm and then went almost straight to bed. I'm fine.
    I think it is because its not good for food to be digesting when you are bed, i dunno.
    Poo Pah! What jibberish.
    Just saying what I have heard.
    i dont follow any of these rules, i eat what i want when im hungry (or when i really fancy chocolate, :lol: ) and drink lots of water. the best type of diet is to eat food from all groups, plenty of fruit and veg+good exercise. Ive just lost 7lb in the last 2 weeks doing this+im feeling very healthy!!
    and i always have a snack at bout 10pm, b4 i go bed, normally a sandwich :rolleyes:
    Hmmm, cutting down on carbohydrates (starchy ones rather than sugary ones) isn't really a great idea... they should make up quite a big proportion of your daily intake, as they are great for slowrelease energy and don't contain a great deal of fat. I don't have any food rules that i strictly follow. I'm lucky in that I really love fruit and don't like chocolate, and don't often have a desire to eat when I'm not hungry, so i guess that keeps me slim and healthy...
    Originally posted by Kate1
    Hmmm, cutting down on carbohydrates (starchy ones rather than sugary ones) isn't really a great idea... they should make up quite a big proportion of your daily intake, as they are great for slowrelease energy and don't contain a great deal of fat. I don't have any food rules that i strictly follow. I'm lucky in that I really love fruit and don't like chocolate, and don't often have a desire to eat when I'm not hungry, so i guess that keeps me slim and healthy...

Yup, it'll make you lose a lot of weight really fast. Of course, the second you go back onto carbs, the weight will come back on equally as fast. It's not sustainable weightloss (and it's extremely unnutritional).

I'm dieting atm, lost 10lb in 5 weeks. I stick to 1400 calories a day, which is plenty. And I don't eat anything with more than 4% fat in except the occasional egg. I'm sat here eating a chocolate muffin. It's less than 4% fat, and is gorgeous. It's the only realistic way to do weightloss. I could happily carry on with this diet for the rest of my life. It's interesting, easy and nutritional.
    Everyone's said it all really but I'll post some links to convince you further that 'rules' are nonsense when it comes to food - all except the main one of course - everything in moderation!
    faddy diets
    A balanced diet
    I think you gusy misunderstoof it a bit.
    These are just guidelines.
    It's not as if I am totally cutting out carbs, or anything.
    Being a Diabetic I need them. And also need something sweet from time to time.

But the rules I listed are the way to go, when wanting to lose weight healthily.
    Thanks for teh concern though.
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I think it is because its not good for food to be digesting when you are bed, i dunno.

It's recently been proved that eating later at night makes no difference whatsoever, tis just a myth.
    About the eating late, and eating carbs. I was reading something about ideas that may help with insomnia. Drink warm milk before bed was one, and eating some bread before bedtime was another (can't remember the exact reason why), maybe it helps during the night? Or with going to sleep. Which reminds me, I could do with some toast! :yum:
    Basically eating 2-4 hours before sleep is "bad". Don't get me wrong it wont mess you up or anything, but at the end of the day your body burns carbs slower and slower as it begins to shut down ready for sleep.

Laying off carbs etc before bed lets the body slow down properly and burn fat through the night.. otherwise it doesn't as the kick of the carbs keeps it going.. also it can keep you awake.

Try and get a good source of carbs for the day in the morning at breakfast.. and try to eat several smaller meals, rather than one big one through the day..

Fats are important to a good diet, but good fats like in almonds and stuff..

Snack wise, get some almonds and slice up some carrots and keep them with you, that'll help you lay off the crisps and choccies !!

It all depends what you're trying to achieve.
    Btw, how many calrioes is one supposed to eat pr. day, when wanting to lose weight?
    1500 for a woman and 2000 for a man i think.
    My only rule is to turn the way most people eat backwards. It does make sense, honest!

Usually people have a quick breakfast before dashing out of the door, a medium lunch and a big dinner when they get back.

I just do it the other way around.
    I have a big breakfast; usually muesli, fruit juice, and half a grapefruit, then a medium lunch like a sandwich and fruit or salad etc., and then a light dinner.

Because you're not very active toward the end of the day, whatever you eat then just sits in your stomach and turns into fat. If you have your biggest meal of the day at the start, then you're not so hungry as the day goes on so you won't snack, and whatever you have is more likely to get burnt off (unless you're a lazy ass who spends their entire day on their derriere! :rolleyes: :lol:

That's my only rule; my doctor says I'm not allowed any other rules regarding food so can't help you any other way!:)
    Thank you to both :)
    Originally posted by Butterflykisses
    My only rule is to turn the way most people eat backwards. It does make sense, honest!

Usually people have a quick breakfast before dashing out of the door, a medium lunch and a big dinner when they get back.

I just do it the other way around.
    I have a big breakfast; usually muesli, fruit juice, and half a grapefruit, then a medium lunch like a sandwich and fruit or salad etc., and then a light dinner.

Because you're not very active toward the end of the day, whatever you eat then just sits in your stomach and turns into fat. If you have your biggest meal of the day at the start, then you're not so hungry as the day goes on so you won't snack, and whatever you have is more likely to get burnt off (unless you're a lazy ass who spends their entire day on their derriere! :rolleyes: :lol:

That's my only rule; my doctor says I'm not allowed any other rules regarding food so can't help you any other way!:)

That seems a good way.
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    1500 for a woman and 2000 for a man i think.
    That's right for loosing weight. You'll loose at least a pound a week, maybe two (depending upon how active you are), following those guidelines. As long as you're eating a good balance of food too, then it's a good healthy way to loose weight in my opinion. At least it works for me, far better than any fad diet.
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    That's right for loosing weight. You'll loose at least a pound a week, maybe two (depending upon how active you are), following those guidelines. As long as you're eating a good balance of food too, then it's a good healthy way to loose weight in my opinion. At least it works for me, far better than any fad diet.

No no no, you need to reduce the amount of saturated fats you eat, the amount of carbs is very influencial, and also you need GOOD, REGULAR, exercise !!

Otherwise it's shit, your metabolism will just slow down to compensate for the lack of shit you're eating..

If you work out, your biggest meal should be post-workout.. Like I said try and eat 5-6 small meals a day.. it helps keep your metabolism up..

Edit because : Also play with this french diet program

I'm not saying that works, just something I found interesting..
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Btw, how many calrioes is one supposed to eat pr. day, when wanting to lose weight?

it really depends. if you have a high metabolism you will be able to consume more calories than someone with a lower metabolism and lose the same amount of weigh. also you body mass also comes into it - the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. the heavier you are, the more weight you have to carry around so you burn more calories.