Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Second Undergraduate Degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello, was just hoping anyone in here had any advice on undertaking a second degree or more helpfully if anyone has done so or knows someone who has.

I have just finished my degree and its a classic case of something which seemed good at the time ie. when I applied, but doesnt seem so relevant now. I stuck out the last year at uni to finish it but am not confident on even gaining this degree at the moment.

On top of that I feel only the last year at uni was when I really got into it and to be able to go through it again as well as gaina degree in something I am now sure I want to take would be perfect.

I have spoken to Admissions at my university and there is no academic reason preventing me- more financial constraints. I have to find out some things but does anyone know the situation on Student Loans for example- do they offer a loan for a second degree and I need to find out the figures in terms of what the LEA contributes to undergraduates because I have heard that you are not entitled to contribution if you take a second degree.
I will look into this but if anyone has any past experiences to recall on that would be great.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Second Undergraduate Degree
    Originally posted by Narcotic
    I have just finished my degree and its a classic case of something which seemed good at the time ie. when I applied, but doesnt seem so relevant now.

god, i know that feeling. have you thought about postgraduate courses or some kind of graduate training?

I need to find out the figures in terms of what the LEA contributes to undergraduates because I have heard that you are not entitled to contribution if you take a second degree.

i think it depends on the individual LEA, but i know mine will only subsidise tuition fees for 4 years. after that you pay the private cost.

there are a few things you could do though, depending on what area you're wanting to do your next degree in...

you can work your arse off and spend very little for a few years until you have saved enough to pay.

you can try to get employment in the area, and find a company who'll sponsor you through another degree

if you are studying something relating to the public sector, there are a lot of grants and bursaries available, most of which are tax-free.

you can try to find work-based training, or an alternative to a degree.