Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

General Anesthetic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure loads of you will have had them - so please, share your experiences as I'm petrified! :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    Hm. It's quite simply nothing. I suppose it all depends on where you're having it, but otherwise its just a few quick injections and then you can't feel a thing. Injections don't really hurt, when I had mine it just felt as if someone was pushing very hard on my skin with a pin for a second.

Really nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    don't know, but i'll be interested to hear too cause i have to have one to have all my wisdom teeth out, and am already crapping it, even though the waiting list is like 2 years long and i've only been on it a month or two.

:nervous: x lots
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    don't know, but i'll be interested to hear too cause i have to have one to have all my wisdom teeth out, and am already crapping it, even though the waiting list is like 2 years long and i've only been on it a month or two.

:nervous: x lots

Least you get one. I got novacaine. :/

General anasthetic is nothing. Slight scratch on the back of your hand (you don`t care, you`ve already had pre-meds), they ask you to count to ten, you say, "One, two, three,fou..... A couple of seconds later you open your eyes and it`s all over. You feel a bit groggy for a bit but you can just sleep that off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    you don`t care, you`ve already had pre-meds.
    What are those?
  • Options
    Least you get one. I got novacaine. :/

yeah, that would be worse. but it's not just a simple extraction, they're all embedded in places they shouldn't be. so they have to hack bits out of my jaw to get at them :( and all four at once :crying:

i had one of my molars out last year with only local anaesthetic and gas and air, and that wasn't the most fun, but at least i could chew on the other side...

and the things that worry me are having to swallow pills, and it making me throw up. i'm such a dunce :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    What are those?

Tranquillisers, as far as I know. I`m sure it was Diazepam last time I had one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    yeah, that would be worse. but it's not just a simple extraction, they're all embedded in places they shouldn't be. so they have to hack bits out of my jaw to get at them :( and all four at once :crying:

Well I won`t pretend I envy you. But it won`t be unbearable either. Just make sure you follow all the aftercare instructions, they really do help. And take ibuprofen.
    and the things that worry me are having to swallow pills, and it making me throw up. i'm such a dunce :(

No, you`re not. Right, let me tell you, the only pill I`ve ever had to swallow was that premed and it`s tiny. If you really can`t swallow tablets I know at least some tranquillisers come in a syrup. I`ve never been sick after a general - just make SURE you have nil by mouth for the required time before and you should be ok.

Forgot to say - it should only be the bottom ones where they`ll have to remove bone, the top ones usually come out as easy as shelling peas.
  • Options
    They're no big deal. They give you the anaesthetic, and you go to sleep in a few seconds (5-15 seconds usually). Then you wake up later feeling a little groggy. No big deal.
  • Options
    I've had 2 general anaesthectics, the ones they do for teeth and minor ops are pretty light and you will only be asleep for an hour or so. I felt alright after the anaesthetic I had for my teeth, just a bit spaced out, and wanted to be left alone to sleep it off.

They use cream to numb the skin on the back of your hand, and then they put a kind of drip device in, then they push the anaesthetic down through that, you count back from 10 and thats it! Zzzzz

I had general anaesthetic for my caesarean and I felt really really rough and tearful after that one, but I'm not sure if that was the shock of what had just happened or the after-effects of the anaesthetic. When I came round I didn't know where I was or what had happened and there where drips and tubes all over me. Pretty scary.

My son who is 5 had a general anaesthetic to have some teeth out - bless him - he is an "unco-operative patient" hehe. Watching and holding him as they knocked him out was one of the most upsetting things I have seen. He was fine though, he woke up and the first thing he did was to stuff his fingers into the holes in his gums!!eeeee!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    [Bhe is an "unco-operative patient" hehe. [/B]
    Well I'm going for a cystoscopy which is usually only done under local anesthetic but the consultant said I couldn't sit still long enough for a consultation and a chat without going red and jumping around the room, and he could tell I wouldn't sit still whilst someone tried to stick a camera up my urethra! Hehe!
  • Options
    GAs are fine. they just inject you in your hand or arm, and it feels like minty mentholated cotton wool in your body as it goes all muffly, then you just fall asleep. You then wake up a bit groggy later but fine.
  • Options
    i had a general anasthetic when i was 6 for Open Heart Surgery.

I seem to remember them giving me an injection about half an hour before they took me to theatre but that may have just been specific to my condition.

Anyway when it came to it i was in the theatre, the guy told me what was gonna happen and wafted the gas thingy infront of me so i could see what it smelt like (don't think it smelt of anything actually) then they asked me to count backwords from 10, i think i got to 7 you just go out like a light and the next thing i knew i woke up in intensive care and was violently sick, but i had been under the anashtetic for something like 8 hours so they said it was to be expected.

Other than that they are fine, you won't even notice that your asleep until you wake up after your op
  • Options
    I had one when James was born, it made me feel really groggy after & tired but then i had been through a 8 hour bad labour aswell.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I had one when James was born, it made me feel really groggy after & tired but then i had been through a 8 hour bad labour aswell.

Yeah, you tend to feel a bit groggy and tired after having a baby anyway. Actually tired isn`t the word.
  • Options
    They give you Valium before you get the GA? That seems unwise given that any benzo would decrease your heart rate even further when taken with the sedative.

Its likely to be either ketamine (for elderly or children) or fentynanil (sp?) which is a massively powerful opiate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    They give you Valium before you get the GA? That seems unwise given that any benzo would decrease your heart rate even further when taken with the sedative.

Its likely to be either ketamine (for elderly or children) or fentynanil (sp?) which is a massively powerful opiate.

In which case I`m probably wrong. I bow to your (far) superior knowledge. ;)
  • Options
    Ive had one lotsa times, and ive been fine, honestly you just feel a bit sicky sometimes after, but tis ok :)
  • Options
    In which case I`m probably wrong. I bow to your (far) superior knowledge. ;)

Miffy; I'm really not sure, not having had one I wouldnt want to guess to be honest. A small dose of valium and then a knock out dose of either of the drugs I mentioned probably wouldnt be dangerous in the right hands, but mixing downers is always a bad idea.

I do know a few things but it is more black market based, I dont have any medical training.
  • Options
    they no longer give general anisepthics (sp?) to children becuase to many children didnt come round from it which is a bitch cause now they wont give me one
  • Options
    What do you mean they dont give GA's to children anymore, IO dont think there is any getting away from it. Of course they dont exactly do them for fun, but you cant do many operations without them.

They use ketamine, like I said on children because it has a very minor if any effect on the CNS yet knocks you out.
  • Options
    I last had one in july when I had an operation on my ear. I was 18 then, and I did as I always do. When I got into the anesthetic room with all the doctory people in, I started crying. Yes, it is a bit silly but I really don't like the room and my mum said I've always done it because I'm scared I'm not going to wake up again. The actual injection is fine, pain free almost. Then they inject that white stuff and I've always been asked to see how high I can count till I nod off. I think I've got to 5 before, it's quite funny really! When you wake up, you'll probably not feel very with it and quite tired, I found that to be quite a nice feeling actually!
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Miffy; I'm really not sure, not having had one I wouldnt want to guess to be honest. A small dose of valium and then a knock out dose of either of the drugs I mentioned probably wouldnt be dangerous in the right hands, but mixing downers is always a bad idea.

I do know a few things but it is more black market based, I dont have any medical training.

Well I daresay you still have more idea than me. You seem to know about a lot of stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PRETTYgreenEYES
    they no longer give general anisepthics (sp?) to children becuase to many children didnt come round from it which is a bitch cause now they wont give me one

I think she means they won't knock you out at the dentists anymore with the gas and air type stuff ( don't know the name ) and that you have to go to hospital for it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by PRETTYgreenEYES
    Rubbish!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    I think she means they won't knock you out at the dentists anymore with the gas and air type stuff ( don't know the name ) and that you have to go to hospital for it!
    yep thats what i meant sorry if i wasnt clear
  • Options
    The gas to which you refering is NO2, nitrous oxide or laughing gas as it is known. Another GA which has little effect on the CNS.
  • Options
    I had one last year. When they were getting me ready (which felt quite rushed once i was in the room which wasnt nice), there was a really nice guy who must have somehow known i wasnt happy about being there. He asked me what I did and i told him i was a performer, and he asked me if I sang and i said yes. He was so lovely, he asked me if i would sing with him (which i wasnt in the mood for) but he sang for me anyway; he sang 'isnt she lovely, isnt she wonderful...' and I was asleep.

HOw you feel afterwards will all depend on what you're having the op for i guess
  • Options
    When I was about 12/13 I had dental surgery. Basically they ripped open my gums, took out some teeth, moved a couple and stitched my gums back together. I think the scaryest thing was waking up and having to spit out a load of blood. The GA wasn't bad at all, worse part of that was the tube in the back of my hand which left me with a months bruising, but thats unlikely to happen. It'll be fine :)
  • Options
    The bruising like that is the fault of the doctor who put it in, theres no reason for it to bruise that badly even if your viens arent very obvious.