Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Work experiece at a design firm/fashion magazine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wandering if anyone could give me any tips on how I could get work experience in a design firm (possibly a well know one such as HI-Res) or a fashion magazine (such as I.D.) over the summer holiday.
Should I contact them via letter or email?
I dont necessarily want to get paid I want to know how they function.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you need an internship... just get in touch with those companies to find out about internship programs. lots of places will hire you on, especially if you're willing to work for free.

dep
  • Options
    The best option is to go along yourself and ask to speak with the director. Make it known that you don't want paying and they might take more interest! Also make it known that you do have some knowledge in design though as they won't want to take someone on if they then have to help them every minute, they'll be much more interested if they think you'll do some of their work for them and they won't have to pay you for it!
  • Options
    i wouldn't have thought you'd get any for this summer, cause there's LOADS of competition even for unpaid work experience. you need to be sorting it months in advance really. especially for the magazines.

send in a CV (or email it), leave it a week, ring up, nag nag nag. the people on my fashion course who got work experience were the ones who rang every week asking if they had any vacancies yet. eventually they got sick of them nagging and took them on :p
  • Options
    Erm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is so unlikely you will get a place at this short notice, all TheSite summer placements were booked up a couple of months ago. That said, there may be cancellations or the possibility of going in for a days shadowing so it is always worth trying.

Call up HR and find out:
    a) if there are any places
    b) how they prefer you to apply (some want a CV, we ask for CV, covering letter and three article ideas)
    c) Who to send your application to and what format they would prefer (fax/ letter/ email)

If you do apply by email treat it as a formal letter and write properly, it bugs me massively when I get an email saying:

Hiya, i luv ur site and think i wanna b a journalist, can i do werk experiance wiv u. Staceeeeeeee :heart::love: :wave:

The answer is likely to be NO.

How to get work experience and make the most of it

Susie