Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Telesales - anyone here done it before?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently got a telesales job for the summer with a large company. I was initally chuffed, as the pay is amazing (well amazing for a poor student such as myself), and after 4 hours of interviews I was damn glad to get it.

But now i'm getting doubts as I have absolutely no idea what to expect - we get three weeks of training (fully paid) before we start, but I'd still like to know if anybody else here has done it and what they've thought. I've been hearing stories of people packing it in soon after starting as they couldn't hack it, for example.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha. yeah. that was an experience i'd hate to repeat.

some people seem to like it, but i'd personally rather stick pins in my eyes.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i did it and i enjoyed it quite muchly. i was selling a food/dining package for one of the big hotels in edinburgh and it was quite fun. yes, there were cocks who were realy nasty on the phone but there were also old women who were lonely and just wanted to chat to you.

it was not, i think, your typical call centre job as there were only 10 of us on the phone at one time, fairly small scale and if it wasnt for the fact that the contract finished i think i would still be doing it 2.5 years later. i made shitloads on commission and the basic salary was quite good too.

it is not everyone's sort of job though. however, it is something i would do again :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    All depends on what sort of Telesales your working in. I know people who work on outbound sales (or cold calling etc) and they hate it.

But I work on Inbound sales for hire cars and I love it. The bonuses are good, effectively free money for just doing your job.

You'll either love it or hate it. If you love it, you really love it, if you hate it, your really hate it.

I'll give you a tip, try and build a rapport with the customers, it increases your sales.
    I'm outbound... gas I think.
    If you can distance yourself from the feeling that everytime any one answers you are greatly annoying them then you'll be fine.

I've done cold calling survey type work and I loathed it, speaking to people who dont want to talk to you all day got me down. I began to really hate having to ring people.

But as people have said the money can be good.
    I hated it, but like you said it pays good money!
    OK done it for two weeks and quit :( Couldn't hack being abused by OAPs all day. But got £625 out of it (even though I didn't get a single sale), so should keep me going whilst I look for another job.