Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is my mum being unfair?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    But I like to think I got the job 'cause I had the right skills and what not. :(

Ofcourse you did, and so did I ;)

Part of being a teenager is having crap jobs though, I had my fair share, but most would do anything for a bit of spare cash!
    Originally posted by Faith
    Part of being a teenager is having crap jobs though, I had my fair share, but most would do anything for a bit of spare cash!

true true. when i was 16 i took a waitressing job that paid 2.70 an hour. i worked 9-6 all saturday with only 30 minute break.

you do what you have to.

if you have crappy jobs when you're a teenager, you try harder in life, cause you've seen the alternative, and it is BAD.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if you have crappy jobs when you're a teenager, you try harder in life, cause you've seen the alternative, and it is BAD.

Exactly! I tried really hard to get my degree and the job I have now because there was no way I was going to spend the rest of my life on checkouts, behind a bar or waitressing for peanuts!
    I can guarantee you that I will get far, withut having worked at McDonalds. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I can guarantee you that I will get far, withut having worked at McDonalds. Thank you.

Not everyone has such a priveledged background that they don't have to get part time jobs though. I'm not saying everyone should work at McDonalds but if you're folks can't/wont give you money it's not exactly the end of the world ;)
    I can guarantee you that I will get far

That's not very Danish of you! ;)
    I had a Weekend job at 16 (and before that paper-rounds - loads of them). At the age of 16 I was getting perhaps £2 a week off my parents and I never expected more. I do remember though that my parents started giving my brother his family allowance money each week when I was doing A levels and it pissed me off a bit cos I worked for my money. Looking back now though I was doing quite well for cash so why should I have expected any more from my parents - after all they were still feeding me, paying for my heating and electricity and that for the next three years there were plans to put me through University with no savings to fall back on.

Even at Uni i had a job (In those days there were still grants and no fees so fewer students had jobs!).

i don't think she's being unfair - she's preparing you for the fact that at 18 you're probably going to have to be a bit more in control of your outgoings.
    Any job you've done still counts as experience, I've been in the job I'm in now for 2 and a half years - it shows I can hold down a job and it provides me with good people skills. Okay, so you'd never catch me working in McDonalds, but there's nothing wrong with a supermarket job, mine pays quite well thankyou.
    Youre probably right. I did read some research that said spoilt children do do well in life as a rule, because they have an attitude that they deserve everything and therefore they get it.
    fucking nightmare for everyone else that has to put up with them though.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Youre probably right. I did read some research that said spoilt children do do well in life as a rule, because they have an attitude that they deserve everything and therefore they get it.
    fucking nightmare for everyone else that has to put up with them though.

Meow...

I can tell you that I am not spoilt, and that no one has more problems putting up with me and getting along with me, than they do with everyone else.
    By the time you're 16, your parents have already spent many years buying you practically everything. So I don't see the problem with people getting a part time job when they're 16/17 so that they can buy things for themselves; learn the importance of earning your own money and looking after it. even if it's a crappy paying job, it still gives you a bit of independance not having to sponge off your parents. I hate having to borrow money off my mum, but at least I pay it back. I wouldn't like to just take it from her, she works hard and so deserves to spend her money as she wishes. My mum and step-dad both work, why shouldn't I? I don't pay anything towards bills or anything, however I'll be paying board next year.
    Re: Is my mum being unfair?
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    Basically my mum said to me that she will no longer lend me anymore money and that I have to get a job (which I have been trying to do for ages). She won't even lend me any if I want to go out (which isn't very much). I think she is being unfair because I am trying really really hard to get a job but I just can't seem to get one plus I help her round the house so I think it is unfair her not lending me money. Do you guys think it is unfair or is it just me? :confused:

Do you mean LEND or GIVE?

Lend means you pay her back give means you don't.

I find it hard that you can't even get a basic job in a shop or anything, is your CV up to scratch? Do you present yourself well when you go for an interview?

My friend was a manager in the Gap and has girls come to the shop all the time with their CVs.

Have you tried doing that? .. obviously well presented
    I have gone to shops handing in my CV. I hate asking for money from my mum and I don't do it often. I am willing to do any job because I would like to be more indepdant but I just never hear anything back from places that I have applied to which gets me down.

Also I do present myself well in interviews, I dress smartly and am polite, although I might seem a bit shy. :o

When I do get a job I will pay board btw because I think that is only fair. Just getting a job is the problem.
    Another thing do you think it is a good idea to back to the shops where I have handed in my CV to and see if there is anything going yet or something? :confused:
    If your CV is suitable and they want to interview you, I should think they'd get in touch with you. Do you live in a place with no shops or something? Don't forget there's the job centre.

Though to be fair, when I went in there for my first time I'd made an effort with my hair, put something smart on. Only to find that when I walked in that it was full of right weirdo's. I stood in a queue listening to people talking about breaking into people's houses :-\.
    I live in the country and the nearest town is 5 miles away. I have also tried the job centre. Although I am going to try the job centre in Dundee on Friday when I am next there.