Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

sven bottles it...again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Eriksson backs goal-shy Scholes
Mon 31 May, 6:18 PM

MANCHESTER (Reuters) - England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has dismissed Paul Scholes's fears that his three-year goal drought could cost him a starting place at Euro 2004.

Scholes told Sunday newspapers he would understand being dropped him in favour of Frank Lampard as an attacking midfielder after failing to score since a World Cup qualifier against Greece in June 2001.

But Eriksson gave the Manchester United playmaker a ringing endorsement on Monday, describing him as "brilliant" and hinting strongly that club team mate Nicky Butt would see off Lampard's challenge for the defensive midfield slot.

"Since I came to this country, I've never thought about leaving Paul Scholes out," Eriksson told reporters as he prepared for a friendly against Japan on Tuesday.

"I know that he hasn't scored goals for a long while, but he's not only a goalscorer. He makes all the team play.

"He sees passes and openings which are very difficult to see...I think he's a brilliant football player. Excellent. So far, he's been working very well for us."

As for Scholes's comments, Eriksson said: "I heard that and he shows once again that he's an extremely big professional and he will score sooner or later. Let's hope it's sooner."

Lampard also looks likely to lose out to Butt for the defensive role in England's diamond-shaped midfield -- at least for the Euro 2004 opener against holders France.

Lampard had a superb season as a goal-scoring midfielder for Chelsea, but Eriksson underlined the need for solid defending against the threat from France playmaker Zinedine Zidane.

"You know where France are dangerous...Zidane will come very often behind two strikers and if we don't defend well there we will have big problems," he said.

As for how a Manchester United reserve becomes a first-team player with England, Eriksson said: "I don't want to speak about (United manager) Alex Ferguson's decisions. I have to look at the games he' played for us in the past and he's been important. For us, he's done well."

All should be revealed against Japan as Eriksson confirmed he would start the game at the City of Manchester stadium with his first-choice side for Euro 2004.

"I will begin with what I think is the starting XI but they have two weeks to show me I'm wrong," said the Swede.

England, who have another friendly against Iceland on Saturday, face the French on June 13 in Lisbon, before going on to meet Switzerland and Croatia in Group B.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fair enough he hasn't scored goals for England for a while but you can't leave him out for that reason. He is a class player, he creates chances which is what he is mainly there for. We have two strikers who are paid predominantly to score goals, any goals from elsewhere are an added bonus.

I wouldn't have Butt in but like he says we need someone solid against France's midfield and maybe Lampard couldn't do the job as the holding midfielder. I think he could, I also think Gerrard could do it aswell.

Scholes has got to be in the starting line-up for me.
    Exactly, if Lampard can't do the 'holding' role of Sven's beloved diamond midfield then Gerrard could.
    having Nicky Butt as one England's best midfielders is embarrassing, he is a decent player but doesn't deserve to be in the starting line-up.
    I also don't agree with chopping and changes for different opposition. Anyone remember when Beckham was left out in France 98 for the opening 2 games? Stupid decision.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Exactly, if Lampard can't do the 'holding' role of Sven's beloved diamond midfield then Gerrard could.
    having Nicky Butt as one England's best midfielders is embarrassing, he is a decent player but doesn't deserve to be in the starting line-up.
    I also don't agree with chopping and changes for different opposition. Anyone remember when Beckham was left out in France 98 for the opening 2 games? Stupid decision.
    Well having watched last night, it seemed good for the first 30mins then it went shit. I think you are right about gerrard but like the title of this thread I think sven may bottle it. Because Lampard did average from what I saw but he has being voted the second best player in the Premiership by being an attacking midfielder so he should have that job and we need to stick Scholes on the left, but I think Sven will bottle making such a big decision.
    It's true Lampard isn't a defensive Midfielder and Sven played him out of position (as Keegan did with Wise when he was at his peak).
    I'm sure France and the rest of the elite teams are quaking in their boots. :p
    Bloody terrible! I think we just need to play someone on the left and use our width.
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    I'm sure France and the rest of the elite teams are quaking in their boots. :p
    Seriously, I bet they were for the first 30mins, we looked very good.

Lampards chance when there were 2 massive cross field balls from Gerrard and Becks, now that was quality football. If we kept that up for 90mins we would scare France at the back. We can definately score goals against France, the question is if we can stop them scoring and from what I saw last night, I very much doubt it.