Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Start up programs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have about 43 running processes which is up from about 30 from a few months ago and I think it's seriously buggering the speed of my PC. I'm scared to stop anything incase I break my PC so I was wondering if there was any way to see what is running and how to completely stop it. I've run AdAware and Search and Destroy but nothing comes up.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    This website has a list of pretty much every start up program and what they do.

http://www.greatis.com/regrun3atyouroption.htm

Hope it helps.
  • Options
    If you wish to do an alternate thing, ctrl alt del when you log in. You may shut off anything which isn't started by SYSTEM or NETWORK (don't close explorer.exe ;))

Each time you log on you need to do this though.
  • Options
    procexp will show you all processes and their associated file / process trees. Should give you some idea what is relating to what.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    procexp will show you all processes and their associated file / process trees. Should give you some idea what is relating to what.

Sorry, but what's procexp?
  • Options
    It's a little freeware utilility that shows you a complete map of all the processes that are running and all the related files and other related processes.

If you run it it should give you some idea if something is running that seems odd or out of place, or if processes are still running that should have been shut down.

just tap procexp into Google or click on the link below. Might not make any sense (the results) but then again it might.

download link
  • Options
    search for tune up utiltiies you can use it to change what is allowed to start up and untick it - it's a 30 day trial version but should sort out your probs
  • Options
    You can always go to Start > Run and type in "msconfig" with out the marks.

The Either choose selective start up or go to the startup tab and unclick the ones you dont want running.

Be careful though it can get messy.