Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you want to know?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you were predisposed to an illness such as breast cancer, would you want to have the tests to find out? (For example if your mother had breast cancer the risk of you having it is higher, would you want to know if you were going to develop it?)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes definately
    Originally posted by Faith
    Yes definately
    :yes:
    I'm just wondering because my mother and maternal grandmother both have MS and so, despite some claims that MS is not hereditary, I do have a higher chance of developing it. There aren't any tests as such so I can't offer myself up for them, but I wish there was 'cos it plays on my mind sometimes, especially when I see what my family goes through with it.
    only if it was something i could be screened for regularly, or if it was something i could prevent, or lessen the chances of by changing my lifestyle.

if it was something that couldn't be detected early and i couldn't prevent it, i'd rather not know.
    Re: Would you want to know?
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    If you were predisposed to an illness such as breast cancer, would you want to have the tests to find out? (For example if your mother had breast cancer the risk of you having it is higher, would you want to know if you were going to develop it?)
    Yes.

My mother had breast cancer young as did my paternal grandmother who died of it in her fourties.

Actually I discovered (after talking to my GP) that the increased risk is less than I initially assumed.

And as screening and awareness are such a major factor in breast cancer survival rates it is worth it.
    I dunno-its a hard question. I guess in a way I could help try to prevent it by doing recommended things say with diet etc, but would i want to go through life with that worry. If it was your example of breat cancer then it wouldn't be as bad as the cure rates of this are going up all of the while but not sure bout other things.

I was offered tests for my future kids to test for genetic conditions as I was born with a cleft palate and it was offered when I was 11 but I turned it down til I was older. I never took the option as I wouldn't want to now know because I would keep the child as cleft palate didn't set me back in many ways-even though there was an abortion in the news with this not so long ago.

I guess thats different for you though-as this is actually you, not your kids, but you. You would think there would be tests though-like what they do with pregnant women-i did an essay about PGD/PND which was all to do with genetic testing and ethics, its such a hard thing to talk about. In the end it has to be up tyo you yourself I guess.

Anyway i'm rambling now so I'll shush
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I'm just wondering because my mother and maternal grandmother both have MS and so, despite some claims that MS is not hereditary, I do have a higher chance of developing it. There aren't any tests as such so I can't offer myself up for them, but I wish there was 'cos it plays on my mind sometimes, especially when I see what my family goes through with it.

why dont you just try to seize every oppurtunity and live life to the full and really enjoy yourself as much as you can. That way, if you do develop MS you will have fewer regrets about "wasting your youth" and all that kinda stuff :)
    :yes: definately!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    :yes: definately!

:yes: i agree. i would want to know.
    Yes, I'd want to know.

My Nan on my mum's side has had breast cancer, that cleared but now she has bone cancer.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    :yes: I would.

My dad's mother died of breast cancer and my aunty (my dads sis) thought she had it once. As its not on my mum's side tho, apparently I'm not at a higher risk of getting it.
    Even if your father isn't female, he still has the genes. They're just not in use. In simple words, if something is a genetic characteristic, you could get it from either side of the family regardless of your gender.

And by the way, MS stands for what?
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Even if your father isn't female, he still has the genes. They're just not in use. In simple words, if something is a genetic characteristic, you could get it from either side of the family regardless of your gender.
    But what Stressed said is right.

If you look at the breast cancer protocol thingy that they use to work out how much risk you are under, the relatives on your fathers side are considered far less significant than those on your mothers side.

My family has a history of breast cancer on both sides so I thought I was bound to get it but apparently I'm not at that much higher a risk as if only my mothers side had it.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    But what Stressed said is right.

If you look at the breast cancer protocol thingy that they use to work out how much risk you are under, the relatives on your fathers side are considered far less significant than those on your mothers side.

My family has a history of breast cancer on both sides so I thought I was bound to get it but apparently I'm not at that much higher a risk as if only my mothers side had it.

Hope that makes sense.
    I guess. I'm not a biologist, but what I said is just what I knew to be true. Hopefully what a doctor says is more correct.
    Originally posted by Zalbor

And by the way, MS stands for what?

multiple sclerosis

info
    i don't know if ME if hereditry, but this thread has made me think, cos i do have some of the sypmtoms but its so had to get diagnoes (ya my spelling is crap) of it, as the symptoms are the same for many many other things. my mum had/has it, she isn't half as bad as she used to be but she had it while i was 4/5/6 which was so hard, because it was like not having parents around as my dad was retraining, and mum was ill alot. :(
    Of course I'd want to know. Then I would be more vigilant, and feel less embarassed about wasting time at the doctors if I thought I may have a problem.
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    I only know because my doctor asked me if there was any family history of breast cancer in my family when I was being prescribed a certain medication and I said on my dad's side and she said it was ok.
    That's basically the way it came up for me. But before looking at the protocol thingy that the doctor gave me and researching I'd just assumed the worst.
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    To be honest I would only like to know if i knew what I was prediposed to would be treatable or able to treat eg breast cancer. Anything else which there is no treatment, then i wouldnt wanna know.
    I would want to know if there was a risk of me harming someone else. Like if I had HIV for example, I would want to know so that I didn't infect my boyfriend.