Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dream Job vs Rat-Race Security - What would you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK peoples, I'm just wanting to get some advice on the following as this has just happened to me and I'm wanting to get everyones verdict. I will have to disguise some names in order to protect their interests but you'll get the basic jist of whats being said...

A digital record label out here has been offered a cash influx by a VC of an unnamed (but extremely large) amount to push and promote itself to the next level by a businessman in the area who already owns several clubs/telecoms companies etc. In order to continue this expansion they are going to need to take on more employees and they've asked me as first choice.

My basic role will comprise of PR/A&R for the label, for a similar salary to what I am on now - initially a years contract, and I'd be incharge of vetting material and looking after the international promotions of the label - so promoting around the globe with travel to radio stations/labels/djs etc. But I will also get the freedom to DJ around the globe whilst all this is going on, because whats good for me is good for the label so to speak. I'd also be trained up rapidly in production so I could produce my own tracks/remix those of the labels.

Sounds pretty dreamy.. on the flip side, I'd be leaving an extremely good IT job that I've just been told is 90% likely to go permenant at the end of my 6 month contract - its secure and the work is very much straight forward etc.

I'm pretty sure I want to take up this job full-time to work in the music industry, its essentially what I've always wanted to do but theres the whole butterflies risk element thing, although for the first year my wages would be guarenteed...

I've been explained the business model in depth for what this company is trying to achieve and they are lightyears ahead of a similar model that two well known UK industry figures are trying to set up over there (http://www.trackitdown.net) and already taking in an ever growing amount of business... I've also read recently that with the decline of CD/Vinyl sales world-wide in the music industry (an 174 Billion Dollar Market), digital online labels are rated one of the most interesting and exciting careers to be in by business magazines.. its essentially the DOTCOM era again but for music..

What would you do?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You only live once mate, go for it!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Justin NOTHING is permament in the way of jobs, so lets assume you dont take this job and your current employer does not make you permanent ?

You gotta go for it cos if you dont you will always wonder.......................................what if.
    I've just got the whole butterfly thing in my stomach about it, its been tenitilvy offered at the moment, as the investor has promised unlimted cash after the initial meeting with the label and now they have to present the business case in 2 weeks (of which I have to give a large amount of input now) where the offer will become contracted and available within 4-6 weeks... which works perfectly when I finish my contract in September!

Thing is, even if this investor were to back out (and hes someone I've worked with in the past promoting events for his venue etc.) there are other investors waiting in the pipeline.. they have a meeting with Red Bull/Telecom etc. etc. this week for more investment opportunities...

Its great news, but scary at the same time :eek:
    Obviously it's your decision, but if it were me I'd go for it :thumb:
    Yeah thats what I'm thinking, thing is with all the music stuff I already do, its getting harder and harder to maintain this with a serious day job, I'm finding my time split between day/night activities and got my wrists slapped at my last place for internet/phone usage.. with this it means my time would be better used as its souly for one purpose..
    go for it! you know you wanna ...anything and everything in life can go pear shaped ...go for it and get your knowledge/experience beefed up. set you in good stead for the future with other stuff in the bizz.
    go for it! or i'll fall out with you ...
    I'd go for it. In today's world permanent jobs are just not permanent any more. It's no harder for someone to drop you from a permie job than a contract, and zee contracts normally pay more, even accounting for holidays.
    I worked for a Dot Com that went bust within a year, but that was also the best working experience I've ever had and lots of fun at the time.

I'd Go for it as long as you're sure it a sealed deal.

At the dot com, they hired some new staff who all quit their jobs to join this company and then thy changed their mind and only gave them a weeks salary and said tough luck, so these people lost their old jobs and didn't have a new one to go to.
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Do it! Do it! Do it! :D
    go for the dream job. I would. Working in a job you dont love is really bad for the soul.
    Follow your heart :heart:

Live your dreams :)

(vomit! But seriously it's far better to regret doing something than to regret not doing something- as far as careers go anyway! Do you have anyone dependant on you? Like children? Cos if you do you might get different responses)
    Its gotta be scary but you don't really have a choice do you? I mean your asking our opinions but deep down you already know your decision don't you? You just can't turn this down or else you'll always be kicking yourself. Even *if* the new business does fall on its face you'll have amassed a ton of experience and been introduced to loads of other people in the industry which would probably lead to even more opportunities.

I don't think the digital music business is gonna be like the dotcoms, its far to logical with the prices of CD/vinyl so high and with people increasingly sick of the big record execs mass producing shit pop bands.

Good luck to you.
    Justin,

We all have a comfort zone, sum where where we feel very secure (but not neccisarily happy). Youve been given a chance very few get, you have to get out of your comfort zone at some point in your life, might as well do it now.
    If you want to be successful in anything you have to take risks and leave the comfort zone.

Do you want to LIVE or live in regret?
    After another meeting last night, I pretty much said that I'm 100% in so long as the investment goes through and I sign a contract to guarentee my wage for the first year - although it looks now like it will be a two year contract.

Its getting quite exciting, we've started with the business plan, it also looks like I'll get the opportunity to create a mixed compliation for sale in the shops of NZ music.. similar to something like Euphoria :D

Its still 4-6 months away from becoming permenant but I'm now putting together the finer bits of the job and getting ready to present the business plan with 3 others to put forward for funding and once thats been greenlighted, then its all go!
    Good luck mate, you deserve it.

You work your arse off and about time you had something for it :thumb: