Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Web friend conned into murder bid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Suicide, by chat?

How many 16-year olds do you know who think they're being recruited by MI6 to stab 14-year old geeks who are dying of cancer? :eek2:

Reminds me in a way of this story

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That is weird. Just serves a reminder that some people on the internet really are crackers.
    I think this is interesting in the sense that shows the edges of human behavior and how especially now that the internet is around, particularly "compatible" sets of people can do things never thought possible etc.

(basically what im trying to say is YES there are some severe fucking head-cases out there)
    I'm sure someone is bididng for the movie rights as wel speak ..
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I'm sure someone is bididng for the movie rights as wel speak ..

ohhh, a lifetime original movie, i can't wait.

but this is just another example on why the internet is bad. it takes people away from real life. and real life keeps you saner than imiganary internet life.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't really see any similarities in the two stories, except that they were both over the net and involved insensitive people.
    I think I'd heard about the "ripper" case some time ago. Why no one tried to make him stop or called a hospital or something I don't understand. All those people must have been really fucked up in their minds.
    As for the first story, if "John" was so much more mature at 14 than "Mark" (gzatt... that's my name!), which isn't unbelievable at all, then it must have been as easy for him to trick him as for an adult tricking a minor, which we've seen many cases of. The stupid thing about the story was that "John" wanted to be killed.
    Originally posted by rachie004
    didn't the people in the chat room with him get blamed (not just because one person told him to eat more a couple times) but because it was said they should have called 911?

Several people from the chat room did try and help by either begging him to stop & also by calling 911, but because they did not know his location, getting the police there proved almost impossible.

This is a quote taken from the fully story:
    In the end, there was nothing they could do.

Vedas' cell phone was off or not loud enough to rouse anyone else in the house. They looked up his Web site registry, but he had listed his home number as 555-1234.

And the online chatters didn't know his real name or location.

His mother found him at 1 p.m. the next day sprawled on his bed. The tech whiz's computer had shut down and locked itself automatically, so it wasn't until more than a week later that the family found out his death had had witnesses.
    What a fucking idiot.
    Re: Web friend conned into murder bid
    Originally posted by dave_oliver

Reminds me in a way of this story

There was a documentary on that called Chatting to Death. Did you see it?
    I just read that bit about the lad off the internet, well...what I could understand. Seriously disturbing.
    Originally posted by rachie004
    waay too late to save him :(

was it intentional or was it just bravado gone very wrong?

The guy considered himself to be a hardened druggie so on one hand it was bravado and he seemed to be proving to his online buddies how hardcore he was. On the other hand the lad had mental problems and was suffering severe depression (it was mainly his own prescribed medicine which he OD'd on), so its likely to be a bit of both.