Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'Unlocking' contract phones..?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently bought one of those 3-pay phones off of a mate because he's got a more updated model now. Down the market I know they unlock phones for about a tenner, does this unlocking work on any phone, like a 3-pay contract phone being unlocked so I can use a standard T-Mobile pay as you go sim card?

The phone - NEC e808Y

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It should work, or alternatively look for a reputable website and do it via that - it's not illegal or anything, and if you pay for it, the network providers should be able to do it for you - i'll probably just cost a bit more.
    Might I suggest that if you do get it unlocked, you search on the Interweb for a site that'll do it for less than half of that price?
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Might I suggest that if you do get it unlocked, you search on the Interweb for a site that'll do it for less than half of that price?

I quite like that logic. :chin:

Would you know of any reputable sites that do this then?
    Originally posted by z0ma
    I quite like that logic. :chin:

Would you know of any reputable sites that do this then?

The problem is finding one that unlocks your particular phone model. There are many which do more common phones, but on quick inspection I can't find one that would unlock an NEC e808y - Searching for the phone model and 'unlocking' usually works well. I hope you can find one but if not it looks like it'll have to be the shop down the road.
    Urgh. I hate T-Mobile. I'm with them just now and they are shit. But I'm sure there are many shops in the er... less desireable parts of your city.
    I'm sure you can't unlock it. I'll have a look and get back with you with a price if it can be done.
    You can get it unlocked, every where i went when i had to get mine unblocked they charged £10.
    I can try and do it for you, if you want.

You should know that 3 phones use a UMTS network and T-mobile uses a GSM network. If you unlock, your T-mobile sim card will work but it'll keep switching from GSM to UMTS and you'll probably lose reception quite alot. There's a hidden bit on all 3 phones that lets you change it from UMTS to GSM but like i said, t's hidden and if you wanna get to it your phone needs to be flashed (Memory reset).

Anyway, i can only get the code if the phone is a made by Nokia or LG.

*EDIT*

Ok, forget everything i just wrote about trying to unlock it. I just read that the phone's an NEC.......bloody drugs! :crazyeyes

Don't pay a tenner, there's shops and places in the market where they charge a fiver.
    Ok I'm back. Best price I can find is £20 including special delivery returned to you - the person has unlocked many successfully. But if you can get it done for £10, do that.

I'd have done it for free (expcept postage cost) except I don't have the equipment with me here.
    Originally posted by Xila
    Ok I'm back. Best price I can find is £20 including special delivery returned to you - the person has unlocked many successfully. But if you can get it done for £10, do that.

I'd have done it for free (expcept postage cost) except I don't have the equipment with me here.

Do you have a link for that at all?

And apart from the lost coverage thing, will the T-Mobile sim definitely work fine (considering it's a 3 phone) if I get it unlocked?
    Yep, it'll be fine.