Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Virus

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just found a virus on my PC, its a PE_SPACES.1445 virus. I've done a free online scan but what can I do to get rid of it? Anyone know of any free online cleaners so to speak or am i best buying norton antivirus?

Cheers
rushin:D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could be lazy and just do an online scan, but AVG is good so I'd recommend installing that :).
    Nooooooooooooooo dont get nortan, causes more problems than what it solves!

Get a trial version of pc cillin at www.antivirus.com
    Both are shit. Stick to AVG.
    get AVG now, or any other virus removal program. DO IT BEFORE TUESDAY!

Supposedly the virus you discribe will overwrite the boot sector of your hard drive on Tuesday.

If you can't be bothered doing that at least change the system date of your computer - but in the strongest terms I would recommend you get an anti-virus now.
    Originally posted by Jim V
    get AVG now, or any other virus removal program. DO IT BEFORE TUESDAY!

Supposedly the virus you discribe will overwrite the boot sector of your hard drive on Tuesday.

If you can't be bothered doing that at least change the system date of your computer - but in the strongest terms I would recommend you get an anti-virus now.

I agree, it's a nasty bugger, info here
    My computer has been not working for two weeks because of a virus. The hard drive had to be wiped clean to get rid of it. The virus threat is serious, it is real. Get protection now!
    ok tried to install the avg anti-virus thing but it said that the winzip self-extractor head is corrupt and won't open up the program. I'm well pissed off now how can i get rid of this stupid virus?
    its better to have norton than to not have it

i use mcaffee myself
    avg is good, but can sometimes not pick things u unless you do another scan
    My personal choice is KAV, which is a bit like AVP. There is also a free version of it. The only difference between the free and commercial versions is that the commercial one lets you schedule your virus scans to a particular time where in the free one, you have to run it at a pre-determined time.