Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

june 2004 elections - no one to vote for

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lets face it - there are virtually no politicians that we can trust.

But if I don't vote, then I go down as one of the disinterested millions.

The Tories will blame Labour for the low turn out. Labour will say its a good turn out ! If the Tories were in power, it would be the same thing only the other way round.

I know that "none of the above" schemes have been proposed and argued over before, but for a slightly different twist take a look here:

http://www.novote.org.uk

It just seems like a good idea that might get them to sit up and listen.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I reckon people don't vote because they reckon all the parties are the same.

Also politicians lie; it's a given. You can tell a politician lies when his lips ever move.

More people should really check out libertarian belief. I'm serious. If you TRULY want a difference then that is what you'd get!!

Imagine Micheal Howard saying that there should be NO income tax. Imagine Blair saying that we shouldn't have an interventionsit foreign policy! But no, poliiticians are self-interested, they'd never say that! :rolleyes: :lol:
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    I reckon people don't vote because they reckon all the parties are the same.

then they are very mistaken.
    oliver letwin has said that should the tory party come to power they will slash one hundred and thirty five billion pounds off public spending ...
    while gordon and tone are pouring billions into public services.
    the blues are against the minimum wage and family tax credits ...tone and gordon have introduced them and are commited to slowly increasing them.
    the reds are rebuilding a neglected NHS ...the blues are comitted to destroying it ...i could go on.
    increase in civil servants under labour

Labour will do anything to stay in power, we're heavily taxed to keep them there

get rid of them every so often , keeps them honest

regardless of the pain

just heard on the radio that we now have to work 6 days more to pay our tax bill than in 1997 under the Tories. Sod that
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Labour will do anything to stay in power, we're heavily taxed to keep them there
    just heard on the radio that we now have to work 6 days more to pay our tax bill than in 1997 under the Tories. Sod that
    So you'd rather the tories cut tax... and the number of nurses, teachers and police?

Oh no! :eek:

Personally I've seen a vast improvement in public services in my area.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Same here. Mind you, I can no longer get on the bus for half, which is a bit annoying.

same here in schools and child care ...having a disabled daughter means i use the NHS a lot ...massive improvements. very impressed i am too.
    we are all better pff for a weeks extra work a year. i'd go as far as to say this is the best i have seen this country in my life for all it's citezens.
    get rid of them every so often , keeps them honest

Surely this applies whoever is in power - except it seems it doesn't take any of them very long to start lying and twisting the truth - let them know what you think of them - ALL of them

Send your polling card to parliament (doesn't mean you cant vote though)

http://www.novote.org.uk
    Tell your friends and family
    lmfao.
    i dont know if that would do anything, but i think it looks amusing.. :P
    I'd vote green if I was old enough to vote now
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    same here in schools and child care ...having a disabled daughter means i use the NHS a lot ...massive improvements. very impressed i am too.
    we are all better pff for a weeks extra work a year. i'd go as far as to say this is the best i have seen this country in my life for all it's citezens.

Thats why after being placed on the waiting list 15th january 2001 i am still waiting for my operation!

Thats why when i was in hospital september i was left on a doctors examining table over night, im my own poo and sick, with salmonella ready to contaminate everyone else!

Thats why when they suspected i had a blood clot they left me on a plastic chair on a ward for 7 hours, then admitted theer was no beds!

Thats why when i stayed in for a week i was up everynight crying , as i had been abandoned in pain, on the floor in sick with my drip pulled out, ringing the bell, told that they would be straight there 4 hours later still on the floor too weak to get back on the bed, no drip inserted for hours.
    Personally when i was younger (under the tories) and needed treatment at hospital the quality was much better and the care from the nurses was there!

If the labour are helping teachers, why are the unions crying out for more? why am i not receiving more support with my fees? All a load of rubbish to me!

Labour may be good up there, but down here they are ruining the place!
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I think so, matter opinion and opinion shared by half of the population and growing.

Not if you look on their website: http://www.ukip.org/, you can clearly see from their Daily Telegraph poll that only 18% of the population would vote for them.
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Thats why after being placed on the waiting list 15th january 2001 i am still waiting for my operation!

Thats why when i was in hospital september i was left on a doctors examining table over night, im my own poo and sick, with salmonella ready to contaminate everyone else!

Thats why when they suspected i had a blood clot they left me on a plastic chair on a ward for 7 hours, then admitted theer was no beds!

Thats why when i stayed in for a week i was up everynight crying , as i had been abandoned in pain, on the floor in sick with my drip pulled out, ringing the bell, told that they would be straight there 4 hours later still on the floor too weak to get back on the bed, no drip inserted for hours.

Well if that did happen it is appalling. What is your operation for? The reason waiting lists are as long for certain operations is because more urgent cases are unearthed daily and it makes more sense to make sure auntie ethel has her triple heart bypass than young susan has her tonsils out.
    Vote UKIP, only party that seems to know what they are doing. they are strong, tough and will make a difference.

Even though a minority of people want the UK to leave the EU?
    be fascinating to see how we manage in the long term as some insignificant little offshore island on the doorstep of one of the worlds largest and most dynamic trading blocs on the globe that will be sucking in all the foriegn and domestic investment won't it aye?
    the world has changed and is changing fast and you lot want to stand still. afraid of change?
    I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the with draw from the EU.

18%, wow going up and up. :)
    Do you want Britain to withdraw from the EU Luke?
    not voting is probably the worst thing you could do...other than going BNP...if you tick more than one box, your vote obviously doesnt count, but you're on register as abstaining...as a pose to just not voting.

I'll probably go Labour though, just because there is really no better option.
    Well if that did happen it is appalling. What is your operation for? The reason waiting lists are as long for certain operations is because more urgent cases are unearthed daily and it makes more sense to make sure auntie ethel has her triple heart bypass than young susan has her tonsils out.

Yeah it did happen, it is appalling, its neglect.

My op was so that i can have an eardrum, they are going to form another, whether or not its been placed back for more urgent cases i am still waiting 3 years and 6 months later!

I am finding it hard to hear anything at uni, and personally it is not good enough, however Tony Blair will insist that ops are all done within a certain time, my dad was sent to a private hospital to have his, yes it gets the lists down, BUT it costs lots more
    Last time I looked the Tories were firmly against the EU Constitution. And remember that all member states have to approve it before it can become a reality. The fact is chances are Britain will not be part of an EU Constitution.

Your friends the UK "Independence" :rolleyes: Party would like Britain to pull out regardless of whether we stayed out of the Constitution or not.

Pulling out of the EU would be the single biggest mistake this country ever makes. The job loses and economic consequences alone are too dire to contemplate.
    Do you know anything about economics to suggest why there would be job losses and negative economic consequences?

If so perhaps you would care to explain why their would be job losses and negative economic consequences?
    Has there been job losses from not joining the Euro?

or is UK growth of 2.1% last year against German growth of negative 0.1% a reflection of our sucess and their failure?
    Our main trading is with our EU partners.

Not being part of the EU anymore would certainly and absolutely have a negative impact in the volume of trade we do with EU nations.

Which would invariably translate in less wealth and job losses for this country.
    Of course politicians lie. Of course they avoid answering our questions and go off on tangents. But that as a reason not to vote? What kind of rubbish is that?!

"The situation's not perfect so I'm just going to turn my back and live with whatever everyone else decides". Great philosophy.

Sending letters to politicians saying that you don't like the way they operate is going to do sod all. You really think they're going to sit there and think, 'yes, it is terrible that we're not totally honest all the time and follow through totally on our promises, I think I'll jeapordise the possibility of our party coming to power and start behaving properly'? I think not.

The fact is, politics is just that; politics. It's all about wheeling and dealing and advertising and backstabbing. But all that means is we have to make the best of a tricky situation; vote for what you think would be the best party and have your say. Sticking your tongue out and running away from the issue doesn't make it any better.
    Originally posted by Butterflykisses
    Of course politicians lie. Of course they avoid answering our questions and go off on tangents. But that as a reason not to vote? What kind of rubbish is that?!
    <snip>
    Sending letters to politicians saying that you don't like the way they operate is going to do sod all. You really think they're going to sit there and think, 'yes, it is terrible that we're not totally honest all the time and follow through totally on our promises, I think I'll jeapordise the possibility of our party coming to power and start behaving properly'? I think not.
    I agree almost entirely. For one thing novote.org.uk doesn't promote not voting. Quite the opposite, it explains that you can still vote without your card. And sending letters wont do much. But sending a massive number of envelopes containing polling cards will get the message across. That's why it's great that nearly three thousand people have visited the web site.
    Spread the word
    Swizerland NOT part of the EU Average income $35K, Norway NOT aport of the EU average income $34K Iceland not part of the EU average income $34k and many other countries that have chosen to not be part of this politcal stage which suspsoed to be a trading block.

Uk is doing very wekk why? because it's outside of the Euro.

Why are the above countries doing so well outside the EU? I thought that if your not part of the EU then jobs would not be created? I think it's the pro Euroes excuse for us to not leave the EU. hey if we left we would save billions, billions could create more jobs :) Sorted.
    So, a number of non-EU countries in Europe have incomes similar to Britain (actually lower than Britain but never mind...), and that's suppossed to be an endorsment?

Those countries have not had their economies strongly linked to EU trading for the last 3 decades- unlike Britain. If we were to pull out of the EU our trading patterns would be severely affected and job losses and loss of earnings would be aplenty.

The euro my friend is a different matter. You can be out of the euro but in the EU, and as Britain has proven it can work.

Pulling out of the EU altogether would be a rather different matter, and an extremely costly one at that.

Please get your facts right before quoting those scare mongering horror (and bullshit) stories about all the billions upon billions of Pounds we "lose" by being in the EU. Because it happens to be bollocks.
    They could join EU in a heartbeat but choose not to

Let the shipwrecks of EU lives be your landmarks more like it
    Whereas another 25 countries chose to, and many more wish to.

And your point is?
    Quality not Quantity

it's like joining a Council House community centre at mayfair club prices
    On the subject of the elections, I have heard that a party called respect is left of New Labour. I tried searching on the net but nothing came up. I highly doubt that any left party will stand in the South East anyway, but can anyone point me some information? Though probably the Liberal Democrats need my support.

Sorry for hi-jacking but i didnt think it was worth its own thread.
    I have heard that a party called respect is left of New Labour.

Bunch of mad planks

They need anyone's vote