Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sunbeds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know sunbeds aren't good for you but I wouldn't mind trying it out even just once. Anyway I was wondering could you use sun tan lotion to help protect your skin? Also how much does it cost and things?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Sunbeds
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I know sunbeds aren't good for you but I wouldn't mind trying it out even just once. Anyway I was wondering could you use sun tan lotion to help protect your skin? Also how much does it cost and things?
    not much point using a sunbed if youre gonna use sun lotion. The point is to get a tan, not to prevent one.
    Just go on for a very short while -about 4 minutes for the first few times, then you wont burn. go up to 6minutes after that, but I never go on for more than 8 at a time.
    how much does a sunbed session cost? im not thinking about it, just wondering what it is in comparison to fake tanning...
    depends where you go, they vary quite a bit from place to place.
    The place down the road from me is £20 and thats for 30 mins, but you dont take all 30 minutes at once. max of 10 mins at a time. I think thats quite expensive, but i got a special offer when i booked mine, an hour for the price of half an hour.
    One of the ones ive seen up town is 45p a minute, ill prolly go there next time, even though its not as handy for me, its not as if i go very often.
    I always thought that sunscreen didn't prevent a tan - just stops you burning? Maybe I'm wrong! :confused:
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I always thought that sunscreen didn't prevent a tan - just stops you burning? Maybe I'm wrong! :confused:

i think it does prevent a tan. it blocks the sunlight from reaching the skin. this means that the pigments in your skin dont show as much, because they only do this when the sun is out... not sure of the exact science behind it im affraid!
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

no, you're right. kinda.

sunblock is supposed to block out the sun. hence the name.

suncreen screens out the harmful rays that cause burning and ageing. the protection factors are supposed to extend your skin's natural protection from the harmful rays. so if you wear spf 10 you have 10 times your natural protection. but you will still tan, just more slowly and less harmfully. my mum never goes anywhere without her factor 15, and she's as brown as a very brown thing.
    no, because going brown is actually a sign of skin damage. If you wear factor 15, then you can be in the sun for 15 times as long as you would normally, before you get a tan or burn. If you went into a sunbed wearing factor 15 then youd need 15 times more sessions than you would without sunscreen before you noticed a difference. If you want to limit the damage, just go on for short periods of time, ie about 5 minutes, then you wont burn (unless you are particularly susceptible to burning, in which case sunbeds arent recommended at all) youll just tan very slowly. Going to a sunbed with sun protection lotion on, is just a waste of time and money. If the thought of any sun damage at all really worries you, then a sun tan isnt for you. Just fake it with a good self tan, and then sunblock yourself - much healthier in the long run.
    I think I will try it for a few mins and see how I get on. What do you wear when you use it? (sorry if I sound stupid)
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I think I will try it for a few mins and see how I get on. What do you wear when you use it? (sorry if I sound stupid)
    I wear either nothing, or a gstring, so I can see whether ive tanned or not. Noone else can see you when youre in the cubical so its entirely up to you.
    You can tan wearing sunscreen.

I've tanned in as high as SFP 50.

Also it reduces the skin-aging rays that make you look like an old hag.
    not in a few minutes on a sunbed you wouldnt. Yeah if you were lying in the sun for ages wearing sunscreen then you would still tan, but not in the quick blast you get in a sunbed. By all means wear sunscreen on a sunbed, but be prepared to be wasting your money.
    I was just asking out of curiostiy (sp).