Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What would you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
After barely passing my chemistry exam last year, I decided to re-take the exam this year.
Been trying to revise chemistry all day. And it is beginning to frighten me. I am still not finished with the first chapter of the book (of course, that is also connected to the fact that I just had to check my e-mail every third second, and go on various sites), and the more I read the more I remember why I disliked it. And this is the easy part!

Thing is, I am wondering if it wrong of me to re-take the exam. If maybe I should let it be. Sure it drags down my current average (of the subjects I've finished completely - haven't included the sujects which I am continuing next year, even though they're not required anymore), but the average is 8,3 - which is nowhere near ideal. But it is not that bad either (In Danish terms 8 is considered average/ok. Though of course that also depends on your goals. My old history teacher who was also the school-advisor said that most good universities he was familiar with in the UK want 9 or above in average. I can get that).
I am afraid that I'll screw up both this exam and my math exam, since I'll have to use time on them both, instead of just the math. With both I have difficulties, so wouldn't it be doing myself a favor and putting down the pressure with half?

On the other hand, if I choose to do so, then it is giving up. I hate the thought of that. But neither do I want to sacrifice my sanity.
The exams are one day after each other, so it's not as if I can concentrate on one subject solely, and then the other. It's them both at a time. And I haven't had chemistry for a year. So there's a lot to go through. And I know that I've started revising too late - But that's so typically Tal, that there is no other way *sigh*
Thing is, I don't even know if I am allowed to pull out of the exam, since they've made the table and all. And I'll screw it up for them.

What would you guys do? Stick to it, or let it be?
At the worst I can take a course, and put the result on the course at the side...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i have to be honest, i didnt go in for my maths higher despite sticking with the class all year. i just couldnt get my head round the study and was getting stressed and decided that it wasnt worth it as i had the qualifications to do the course i wanted to in college.
    that was in fifth year so in sixth year i took the higher maths modules so i didnt put all of fifth year maths to waste.
    its a hard decision but you have to wonder if its worh the stress as it may affect both exams. maybe you should just focus on your maths?
    I think u should sit both the exams.. If u know u have the capability to get a 9 then u should at least try for it. I know revision sucks big time (i'm doing my first yr exams at LSE now) but what's the point of not bothering? It may give u an easier time now, but in the long run, is a 8.3 really what u want? just work like a bitch now, and it'll all be over soon. then u can truely say that u gave it your best shot... if u really want a 9 and these british universities, and u do everything can to achieve that, then it'll happen. good luck with them honey.
    Can I ask what you're studying at the LSE? (One of the places where I'd die to go).

The 8.5 (forgot to include a subject) is from chemistry, biology, music, spanish and physics. Subjects which have never had my interest, and some of them which I loathe.
    It's subjects like Danish, English, Social Studies (Politics, Economics and Sociology), religion, geography, history, art and old-age history (don't know the English word) that I know will bring my average up to above 9.
    So I don't know if I am doing myself good or bad by re-taking. So many pros and cons...
    I'm studying politics and economics... it's a very good course, but LSE is a strange place- because of the subjects if offers, you get a lot of people there who are 'on the make' if you understand what I mean. Everyone (including myself!) seems to incrediblely ambitous, and they make u work pretty bloody hard. Also, because it doesn't have a campus, the social life is a bit shite... u tend to only know the people that live in your halls. When u apply, go intercollegiate or LSE catered - self catered is a nightmare, as u live in these little flats, of like 6 people and u have to make huge amounts of effort to get to know other people if u don't like the people who live in your flat. Catered is much much more social. Having said all that negative stuff, I do enjoy being here immensely... uni is very cosmopolitan and the lectures and class teachers are amazingly passionate about what they do. I've met people who have had lives that I couldn't imagine... London is an amazing place to 'become an adult' as well. When u first go, seeing all the red buses n taxis is really surreal... and there is always somewhere new to go out.

What are u thinking of studying? Only do Economics if you're prepared to do loads of maths...

xxx
    I am really interested in the International Relations course. I wanted Politics and International Relations (which is what I am going to apply for at other universities) but as far as I understood that isn't possible at LSE.

Can I ask what grades you got, and which where required for your course?
    yeah, I don't think u can do politics and IR, but u do politics options along side the IR ones. according to ma friends that do IR it's a really interesting course.

I did A level, Maths Economics and German, and got AAB... my offer was ABB... I think that's the usual offer. are u doing the IB... ? I have no idea what they ask for that, but i'll find my friend who did it n ask him for u.
    I am doing the regular Danish gymnasium. Hard to explain the system and grading system. Though I earlier on the LSE site found out that they usually ask for 10 or above...
    Though that was in general. And as far as I know IR asks for ABB, so maybe if I am lucky they'll reconcider me, even if I only have 9 point something.

I can only do my best...
    Ntw, does the international feel add to the experience, or gets annoying?
    Can I ask which other universities you applied to?
    if an average grade is like 8, them asking for a 10 sounds pretty harsh... maybe e-mail and ask? I don't know anyone u did that system...

I also applied to Exeter, Warick, Durham, Edinburgh and for PPE at York. LSE wasn't my highest offer (AAB from York) but, I reckon what u need decent grades and an amazing personal statement... I know someone here who does Law n did Theatre Studies A level, which uni doesn't regard as a 'proper subject', so don't stress yourself too much about the grade average thing.

The cosmopoltian thing can be both nice and annoying... I'm British, but only 38% of the students there are British educated, n something like only 52% are from the EU. I mean, it was really educated me about myself (cliche!) but you meet many many people whose lives are completely and utterly different from yours... I don't think I have ever heard so many languages spoken at one time... it really opens your mind. On the other hand, people tend to congerate in their national groups and don't really mix, and that can be quite isolating at times. Every nationality has a society at uni (except British) and they hold like brazilian parties and scandivian pub crawls. there's no really sense of community or belonging at uni... but at the same time, it's not claustraphobic or static. It's doesn't have the same relaxed and 'studenty' atmosphere as other traditional uni's like Nottingham or Warick have.

where else are u thinking of applying? u'r going in autumn 2005, right?
    Thank you so much for your help :)
    My plus is that I can probably do a good personal statement, due to a very international background.

Applying for fall of 2005, and have thought of LSE, Warwick, and originally I wanted to apply to UCL but they require me to do a language, and that's not what I want.
    Then Sheffield and Manchester look appealing socially, and have the subjects I want.