Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Applying and applying and no results

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have applied for soooo many jobs recently as I really need one to help me fund myself through college. However I hardly ever get a response back. It's really getting me down and I am on the point of giving up. Any advice which may help improve my chances?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well maybe your doing something wrong...

Where are you applying?
    If you dont have any experience, get your arse down to a supermarket the always have loads of jobs going.
    What type of job you after??

Bopz
    I have some expierence but not a great deal but it's really hard to get experience if noone will even employe you. I have been applying for shop assisstant and waitressing jobs but had no luck at all.
    gawd, don't let it get you down. i'm in a similar position. only i'm graduating soon, and i need a full-time job, and having no luck at all.

my problem is that i don't have enough experience to get the good jobs, but people apparently think i'm overqualified to do the shit jobs. so i get nothing. which is very annoying.

just keep trying. a trick you can try is to ring them a week or so after you hand your application in to 'see how they're getting on'. this makes you seem interested, and you never know, might sway your chances. and if you're lucky, you might get a manager who is too embarrassed to tell you they don't want you after you've made the effort to ring up, and will instead offer you an interview. and the interview is half the battle. once you get to meet them, rather than just being words on paper, you can wow them with your brilliant working manner and witty temperament. or something :p

good luck!
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    my problem is that i don't have enough experience to get the good jobs, but people apparently think i'm overqualified to do the shit jobs. so i get nothing. which is very annoying.
    That is so true. I'm overqualified for production line jobs, but jobs that need a degree either want experience or they are graduate schemes with big companies which want better degrees than I've got.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    job hunting is horrible, expecially job hunting in order to get you through university. i was in a similar boat to lil miss and i was applying and being rejected time after time. i ended up being lucky with the summer job i got in a nursery - i could work during term time too as my timetable allowed a couple of shifts a week.

keep at it lil miss (and kaff) you will get something soon :)
    I have applied for a job in fundraising for childline in Dundee but I'm not sure if I will hear anything back. What kind of jobs do you recomend that I should apply for? (i am only 17 btw)
    I assume you mean you want a Part time job - cos employment agencies are always good for temp work but that's usually fulltime
    Yeah it is part time work that I am looking for.